Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to bend a ute

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

cgm (8th April 2015), gaddy (9th April 2015), krbrooking (8th April 2015), macca (9th April 2015), mudnut (8th April 2015), pearcey (9th April 2015), Timbo15 (9th April 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our Simpson trip in 2013 we saw a Navara D40 at Dalhousie springs with a bent chassis. It had been towing a hard floor camper with the longest draw bar I had ever seen. Not sure of the make.
    This camper had 2 large boxes on the front (Tool + fridge) and then gas bottles. The wheels where near the back of this contraption so depending on what he had stored in there (generator? chainsaw? etc) the weight would have been on the rear of the ute. Not sure what he had in the tray either.

I think its good advice even though I have not followed it. By the time I had put all the bar work and drawers in the wagon my tare was up over 2.8 tons. Still don't know what I weighed when I left Adelaide fully loaded.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good read No real surprises in it
    Common sense is always best (although rare)
    Best advise would be take what you need Load vehicle
    properly with quality suspension and you should be fine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was thinking about air bags, might get the springs reset instead.

Liked the idea of adjustment in relation to the load. But not now LOL.

A mates patrol has the leaves assisted by air bags with no problems, we did talk about the load being put at the wrong part of the chassis which he is not worried about. Might send him the link so he is aware of the problems and why.

Thanks Cuppa
    Cheers
    Macca

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

threedogs (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned elsewhere the Patrol leafy cabs used as mine support vehicles in the Latrobe Valley initially used air bags as a means of carrying the constant heavy loads they are subjected to, but the local spring works won’t fit them any more because of the number of cracked chassis’ which resulted. When I was looking at what to do with mine I was strongly advised not to use airbags, in fact they told me they wouldn’t fit them & that if I insisted on having them I would have to get them fitted elsewhere - this from a place who could have supplied them.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    On our Simpson trip in 2013 we saw a Navara D40 at Dalhousie springs with a bent chassis. It had been towing a hard floor camper with the longest draw bar I had ever seen. Not sure of the make. This camper had 2 large boxes on the front (Tool + fridge) and then gas bottles. The wheels where near the back of this contraption so depending on what he had stored in there (generator? chainsaw? etc) the weight would have been on the rear of the ute. Not sure what he had in the tray either. I think its good advice even though I have not followed it. By the time I had put all the bar work and drawers in the wagon my tare was up over 2.8 tons. Still don't know what I weighed when I left Adelaide fully loaded.
    interesting you said that, we saw a gq with extended tray that broke the chassis playing around hard on big red heading to dalhousie...lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Stropp (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,429 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    interesting you said that, we saw a gq with extended tray that broke the chassis playing around hard on big red heading to dalhousie...lol
    That guy is from Warragul and it was a repair job that wasn't repaired so well... So it had happened before. Apparently he kept playing on big red even though he knew the chassis had split

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Stropp (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember that one
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a patrol in the workshop at Birdsville in 2008, the full length roof rack was covered in Gerry's and swags, the back was chockers and had 5 blokes in it.
    The chassis had cracked and couldn't get it repaired in the Alice, so did the Simpson Crossing anyway.
    The towbar was nearly on the ground, we spoke to one of the passengers and said it's a write off but the owner wanted to truck it home to Brisbane to salvage the mods.
    From what we gathered the 5 of them were not talking to each other and were having trouble getting home from there.
    Couldn't believe the whole thing, a sad story.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 12,429 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Couldn't believe the whole thing, a sad story.
    It gets less sad when you realise it could have been easily avoided though.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

macca (10th April 2015), threedogs (10th April 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast