Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coil Cab or Leaf Spring Rear GU

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I would have to concede that were it not for my need for the extra load carrying capacity (I have a tare weight of 3400kg on the rego - reality in non touring mode is probably 300kg less, but weighing 3700kg in full touring mode) a coily would be my choice for all the reasons mentioned (except for the fact that my wife does’t have extra large b**bs). The mine service vehicles I mentioned used to run well over 4 tonnes all the time.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Still has me beat ppl that choose to travel at full GVM, its not like SWL or WLL.
    to travel maxed out is wrought with dangers as Rafa found out. You wont be doing any 4x4s in that state,
    Only slow rocky tracks, He didnt even increase his GVM and had what I thought was a good set up. stay within Manufacturing limits would be my advice.
    No reason a coil ute coundnt travell around Aust with a STD 2" lift and airbag assist in the rear.
    I had a leaf sprung 4x4 and drove that over 400k, that is why I now drive a patrol, wish I had brought
    a coil ute though
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Still has me beat ppl that choose to travel at full GVM, its not like SWL or WLL.
    to travel maxed out is wrought with dangers
    We’ve had this discussion before & I’m in agreement with you TD. My GVM is 3900. The 3700 is our max weight which reduces considerably as water & fuel & food is used. Travelling for 1 or 2 years plus is totally different to a 6 or 8 week trip, (as is travel solo in remote areas compared to travelling with other vehicles). I would expect that the majority of the time when travelling we will be under the factory GVM. Having the capacity doesn’t mean it has to be used at all times, but there will certainly be times when the additional capacity allows us to spend extended periods away from ‘civilisation’ which is what we want to do. Certainly the heavier one’s vehicle the more cautious one’s driving style needs to be. Most damage occurs to folks who are in a hurry.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

threedogs (8th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused. I have coils on the front and leaf on the back. lol.

Seriously, I've got a 2005 ex Telstra 4.2 TDi ute, with the pod on the back and love it.

I can't tell the difference and don't know what I'm talking about, but I love my ute.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    We’ve had this discussion before & I’m in agreement with you TD. My GVM is 3900. The 3700 is our max weight which reduces considerably as water & fuel & food is used. Travelling for 1 or 2 years plus is totally different to a 6 or 8 week trip, (as is travel solo in remote areas compared to travelling with other vehicles). I would expect that the majority of the time when travelling we will be under the factory GVM. Having the capacity doesn’t mean it has to be used at all times, but there will certainly be times when the additional capacity allows us to spend extended periods away from ‘civilisation’ which is what we want to do. Certainly the heavier one’s vehicle the more cautious one’s driving style needs to be. Most damage occurs to folks who are in a hurry.
    Wasnt aimed at you Cuppa but more so the mob that buy huge vans then wonder why something breaks.
    As for your set up it suits you after the Bus [dont know its name] and trying to keep as many mod cons as possible without going over board.
    I very jealous of your set up as Im a huge ute fan as its all Ive ever owned except the troopy and this wagon
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers for the help guys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cass_cass94 View Post
    cheers for the help guys
    So
    Cheers
    Macca

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    to travel maxed out is wrought with dangers as Rafa found out. You wont be doing any 4x4s in that state,
    Only slow rocky tracks, He didnt even increase his GVM and had what I thought was a good set up. stay within Manufacturing limits would be my advice.
    No reason a coil ute coundnt travell around Aust with a STD 2" lift and airbag assist in the rear.
    I had a leaf sprung 4x4 and drove that over 400k, that is why I now drive a patrol, wish I had brought
    a coil ute though
    Agree TD next time I go to the Cape (maybe next year for the meet up) I will definitely weigh in a lot less as these days you don't need to carry every thing I took last time. There was another red coil cab last August up there without any suspension mods running close to 4,000kg so was 850kg over GVM and he wondered why he had to weld rear axle 3 times on the trip back to Musgrave Road house so don't know if he made it back to NSW I think. You should have see the crap he had in the back of that canopy.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12