OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Blocking EGR valve... Good idea or bad idea?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blocking EGR valve... Good idea or bad idea?

The great EGR block question. I've a 2005 GU IV and I've just replaced the entire upper half of the ZD30 engine. New everything from cams to head to valve train. I've spoken to engineers, mechanics and other folk who've been faced with the same decision. Block or not? Some folk speak of better fuel economy and faster compressor spool ups, others say that the EGR should be left open due to the ECU requiring the readings to compute the fuel injection map and that the mixing of the exhaust gasses with the air lowers the combustion temp, thus keeping the exhaust temp down. Even with the use of a Dawes valve to control the boost. I've just spent $4K rebuilding this Renault throwoff and don't want to do it again. I haven't restarted the engine yet and want to find out all the pros and cons before I do. I don't have the $$ to get it dyno'd and tweaked by a professional workshop at $210 for the dyno and $110/hr for the tweaking. Ideas, people???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aitis007 can answer this question best for you mate.... GEORGE where you at!!!

if he doesnt see this thread shoot him a PM with a link to this thread and ask if hell answer your question

Edit: Also, you should head over to the introduction thread and introduce yourself mate, its just a little something we ask of all our new members here.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    EGR isn't there for any engine "performance reason, indeed it is an anti performance measure which is why it is blocked by the EGR valve at medium to high throttle settings by the ECU in the factory setup.

EGR is an anti-pollution strategy to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emmissions (a significant component in smog) at idle and/or low engine loads so predominant in urban areas therefore the decision is basically simple, screw the engine or screw the planet.

EGR is ported pre-turbo which is why it affects the Turbo characteristics when it is blocked , a tweak of the factory actuator or a Dawes/needle valve soon sorts it out

AFAIK in the ZD30 the EGR position has no affect on fuel mapping, more the other way around, could be wrong tho

So, it's up to the individual...and, Yes, I blocked the EGR on my CRD so I was a bad boy and I adjusted the actuator rather than fit a Dawes.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    the decision is basically simple, screw the engine or screw the planet.
    Yep, that’s what it comes down to.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (2nd April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    for the CRD they say drill a 10mm hole so the ECU thinks the EGR is normal.
    or buy a Scan-gauge to fix check engine light.
    I found on my Di it made a improvement,
    so yeah block it and then go kick a Koala lol nah dont do that
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    for the CRD they say drill a 10mm hole so the ECU thinks the EGR is normal.
    or buy a Scan-gauge to fix check engine light.
    I found on my Di it made a improvement,
    so yeah block it and then go kick a Koala lol nah dont do that
    no drilling holes it defeats the purpose when I blocked my egr I got better spool as in I took off faster. and on its own dropped my egts somewhat, coupled with a buedesert 2.75 exhaust made my car quicker and lowered the egts more, by small amounts no need to adjust actuator or add a dawes and needle valve. again im not saying adding a boost controller would not have been better but for me it was fantastic. now back to the question go look at some pictures of the filth that having a operating egr causes at the intake and that should answer your question. kev
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill G View Post
    The great EGR block question. I've a 2005 GU IV and I've just replaced the entire upper half of the ZD30 engine. New everything from cams to head to valve train. I've spoken to engineers, mechanics and other folk who've been faced with the same decision. Block or not? Some folk speak of better fuel economy and faster compressor spool ups, others say that the EGR should be left open due to the ECU requiring the readings to compute the fuel injection map and that the mixing of the exhaust gasses with the air lowers the combustion temp, thus keeping the exhaust temp down. Even with the use of a Dawes valve to control the boost. I've just spent $4K rebuilding this Renault throwoff and don't want to do it again. I haven't restarted the engine yet and want to find out all the pros and cons before I do. I don't have the $$ to get it dyno'd and tweaked by a professional workshop at $210 for the dyno and $110/hr for the tweaking. Ideas, people???
    I assume you have a ZD30 Di ..

EGR blank. NO holes in it end of issue.
    Add Dawes valve set about 15 psi.
    Also add catch can in the system.

ONE BIG thing. Trash current glow plugs if they have been in for over 80,000 km.
    Glow plugs past 80,000 km just change, no discussion, be they ceramic or metal.
    Add glow plug timer set to max of 30 seconds.
    If the vehicle has done over 100,000Kms have the injectors physically checked. If any are out of specs, nozzle size etc change them.
    Change the intercooler to a bigger one. Junk the Nissan one as its crap. Also with new IC make sure you have a fan with it.

Cheers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    simple, screw the engine or screw the planet.
    Yep, that’s what it comes down to.
    When I see people with "Save the planet", type stickers and are not blowing black or white smoke I will consider the issues.
    Till then i will service my little diesel and make sure it has based engine performance and minimal environmental impact.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    When I see people with "Save the planet", type stickers and are not blowing black or white smoke I will consider the issues.
    Till then i will service my little diesel and make sure it has based engine performance and minimal environmental impact.
    And when I see "save the planet" greenies who don't heat their houses with a logfire, I will also participate in something constructive
    Until then, let them cover their neighbours in obnoxious wood fire smoke and drive their Commodores to the nearest protest meeting
    2009 ZD30-CRD Patrol ST Wagon. Bullbar, IPF Spotties, Snorkel, BFG285/70R70, 2" OME Lift, Rear Drawers, UHF, Scangauge, VDO Boost and EGT Gauges in an A-Pillar Pod, More bits