Thread: New Patrol owner.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Patrol owner.

Hi guys, I am new around here and have some newb questions for you guys.

I have recently purchased an auto 1990 GQ patrol ST 4.2 Unleaded/Lpg wagon.
    I have a few questions regarding the longevity of engine components, especially when it is running LPG.
    It has low 200,000km on the clock and seems to run well, idle is a bit low on petrol when in gear but runs ok on both fuels but, it is incredibly slow..... I came out of a worked FPV F6 ute and F6X Territory so it is quite a system shock when you put the foot down and you aren't pushed back into the seat like the last 2 cars I owned.
    My old man bought a 1990 Maverick brand new and I recall that going quite well, it is specced exactly like my GQ sans LPG.
    Would it be a case of it just being a bit tired and it being tuned to run LPG?
    Would you recommend getting rid of the LPG system entirely and getting the car tuned to run straight unleaded?
    I was also wondering what I need to keep my eye out for in regards to these engines. What are common components that fail, what preventative measures can I take to keep the car running well, and for a long(ish) time.

Also, I want to fit 33 inch tyres to the standard rims but the car is at standard height. I will only be doing "soft off roading" for the time being so I really don't need a body or suspension lift... OR WILL I have to lift to fit the 33's?
    I am sure I have seen a standard height Patrol with 33's on it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate and welcome to the forum, as for the gas system Me I would
    throw it,, causes too many problems ,and gas being the price it is just out of town
    I dont thnk its economical enough to run, If you only do short trips it may be ok, thats your call
    Without a valve saver fluid system on the motor you may already have valve recession , get a compression test done
    it see how your motor is going,
    You can only really tune either gas or petrol on the older systems most go for gas.
    Strip out the gas put a kit through the carby and start again VVVRRROOooommmmmmmmm
    May need a 2" lift to run 33"s but the GQ boys would know more
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

sfrrob (3rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi mate and welcome to the forum.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

sfrrob (3rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

sfrrob (3rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    welcome aboard mate, the TB42 should have a little bit of get up and go but you shouldnt expect to be thrown into the back of your seat like your ute and territory. If you're not worried about fuel consumption, I'd also ditch the gas system, I'm also not a big fan of them.

33s will run fine on an unlifted GQ, especially if you're not going to be doing much offroading, just get 10" wide though as you'll find that the 12.5"wide will probably scrub on your front mudflaps on lock to lock.

As Threedogs said, get a compression test done to give you an idea of how th engine is doing. They're fairly bullet proof but heads have been known to crack.......... mine just went at 217000K

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

sfrrob (3rd April 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers fellas.
    Yeah, I will rip the LPG system out, and will suss out the . NEVER been a fan of them.
    Regarding the 33's what brands are the go? I have no idea!
    Thanks for the quick responses too!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have hankooks, they are a good tyre but you will get lots of different advice, just go with what you like in a name brand.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

sfrrob (3rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
    If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
    Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

sfrrob (3rd April 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As standard the tb42s wont slam you into the seat but you are talking about a heavy 4wd. Dependant on your pocket pull the lpg - if the truck is running well leave it alone. If you want a patrol that will go a lot like a car consider a TB48 in the latter gu's, we had them at work and they had heaps of power - and a lot thierster then the tb42.

The gq is designed as a work hourse with great off road capabilty.

If you want to know what it will be like on petrol, flick it back to petrol and turn your dissy back to around 10 degrees
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, forgot where I posted this thread, obviously I found it again...
    I took the GQ for my first drive since I picked it up. It got to about 3/4 on the temp gauge in heavy traffic on my way home.
    It felt REALLY hot under the bonnet and my interior fans were blowing hot air.
    I stopped to put some air in the tyres and could hear a bubbling, popped bonnet and noticed the resvoir/overflow for coolant was boiling away and expelling steam out of one of the breathers. I wasn't giving the car a hard time AT ALL.
    So I parked it, bought a new radiator cap and topped up the coolant. (2.5L !!)
    Started the car and drove for 1.5 hours, temp fluctuated between half to 3/4 then it started to come down and hover just under half to right on half at 100kmh.
    Mid trip I stopped and didn't hear any boiling and the temp was just under half, the reservoir how ever was almost full of coolant (above MAX) but I continued on my journey.
    Pop the bonnet the following day and the coolant reservoir was showing just above MIN. I remember reading somewhere that as the engine cools it draws the coolant back into the block under vacuum.
    The following day I took it off road, very tame off road tracks in fact.
    Anyway the temp stayed at 1/4 - 1/2 ALL day, even when I gave it curry through some sandy sections.
    Anyway, over heating issue seems to have sorted it's self out.
    I am only guessing as I'm pretty mechanically retarded that it was either a crappy thermostat, air lock in the radiator that worked its way out or the fact that the car probably sat around in the car yard for quite some time before I bought it and that had something to do with it.

Now, the power from the car is woeful, it just doesn't feel right, I know it's a 20+ year old car, lpg, heavy etc but i expected a little bit more grunt.
    The car has had new leads installed (they look new anyway) and i can see the head gasket looks pretty fresh and the head bolts look like they've recently been played with.

I'm really entertaining the idea of dropping an i6 barra turbo in it from the falcons. Not sure if it would be possible with an auto transmission.
    Anyway, I will come back and edit this post later, didn't get a chance to proof read as I am "watching a movie" with the Mrs and kid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast