Thread: Y62 rear drawer build

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y62 rear drawer build

Well here goes, the drawers are finally finished (apart from a couple of small touch up jobs). Taken me a bit to get it to this point but I am reasonably happy with the whole setup. I took this on as I didn't want to spend mega bucks on a system that I would have to modify anyway...so here it is...

The dual battery and compressor setup is included in this system as both are mounted in behind the fridge.

Bits included are ..

Base frame..
    25 x 25 x 1.6mm rhs, 20 x 20 x 1.6mm rhs, a few angle brackets, scrap bits of steel I had laying around. It is bolted in using the existing seat mounting points (I used 13 in all to bolt just the base in)

Base..
    18mm ply, in 2 pieces with cut outs so I can access bolts if needed. This is bolted/screwed with 6mm bolts with flat and spring washers and nyloc nuts and self drilling 30mm long metal screws. There are T nuts inserted into the timber underneath so the fridge box and drawer box can be bolted down.

Fridge box..
    12mm ply, glued and screwed together with T nuts so the drawer box can be bolted through the side to help secure it in place. Offroad Systems fridge slide, this slide can take a CF40/CF50 waeco, 40CFX waeco, ARB 47L etc and the box was built so either fridge can fit , although there is not much room at the top of the ARB 47L fridge. There is 2 x 12v cig sockets, a voltmeter and an LED light with switch installed. The plastic drawer on top of the fridge is a Bunning's one (about $29). The compressor outlet is mounted on a piece of 50 x 50 x 3mm ally angle and is screwed into place. The hose running from the compressor is 8mm ensuring plenty of flow and uses press fit fittings.
    The fridge box is bolted down to the main base (18mm ply) using 6mm bolts and T nuts(about 10 of them). The battery is held in by a heavy duty ratchet strap that goes though 2 heavy duty stainless saddles and these are bolted through a piece of 25 x 25 x 3mm ally angle (to stop the battery sliding about) to the main base with T nuts underneath, there is 25 x 25 x 3mm ally angle from stopping the battery sliding sideways, it has 3 x 6mm bolts and that go through to the main base also. This thing isn't going anywhere!!!!!

Drawer Box..
    Dunn and Watson 227kg 1050mm drawer runners
    Plenty of bolts, nuts and washers and T nuts
    Aluminium angle 25 x 25 x 3mm, 50 x 50 x 3mm, 40 x 40 x 3mm and a piece of 30 x 30 x 3mm to support the front of the drawer deck as it is around 700mm wide. It is bolted down using 15 x 6mm bolts to the main base and about 8 or so 6mm bolts through to the fridge box.
    The top deck of the drawer box is actually 2 pieces of 12mm ply glued and screwed together, it is screwed down around the edges with 2 1/2 and 3" timber screws. There is also a piece of ally angle underneath the top deck on the right hand side to give a little more strength and this is bolted through the side and from underneath, I had to cut a piece out of the side of the drawer to make it happen but in the end I got them in.

Wheelchair Box..yep I call this the wheelchair box as my wheelchair goes here when we travel, takes up way too much space but hey I need the bloody thing...
    It is made from 12mm ply with a small top shelf, this shelf came about because I wanted to stop the wheelchair bouncing up and hitting the roof lining, it will get strapped in as well as a couple of clips at the front to clip onto the foot plate so it stops it moving about but just in case the clips break then the top shelf will stop it bouncing up. The divider was going to be a solid wall but when driving you couldn't see out the back so I made up a cargo barrier and cut a big hole in the divider to suit. The barrier is made from 20 x 20 x 1.6mm rhs and has (I think) 50 x 50 x 3mm mesh, this is bolted in using 8 x 6mm bolts through to T nuts. The whole divider setup is bolted together (as can be seen in the pics). The top shelf is accessible from the front but has no roof or door so I was thinking of just using 2" hook velcro to hold anything down in that spot (nothing will be heavy). The section in front of the divider (passenger compartment) is for our camping table and portable 120W solar panel, these will stand on their ends and will be held in with either velcro, Ocky or cam buckle straps, not too sure yet, just need to see what is easy but still safe.

I have installed a 100AH agm battery, redarc bcdc1225LV to isolate and charge the battery, I have not set this up to charge from a solar panel through the redarc I will use one on the spare Anderson plugs for this as our panel is a portable one with it's own reg. Also installed is a Bushranger Max Air III compressor, I got this one as it has it's own pressure switch on board, I like the compressor to turn itself off. I have put a cooling fan in as well to help keep it cooler when it runs for long periods, I also installed a switch to turn the compressor and fan on or off from the drivers seat.

Here are some pics...well there is a few
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

Avo (22nd April 2015), Bigcol (29th March 2015), Clunk (30th March 2015), jack (30th March 2015), LaughingBeagles (1st April 2015), threedogs (29th March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more pics

here are some more pics

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

Avo (22nd April 2015), Bigcol (29th March 2015), Clunk (30th March 2015), jack (30th March 2015), threedogs (29th March 2015), Virginia Troll (27th May 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even more pics

yep more pics with some of the electrical stuff

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

Avo (22nd April 2015), Bigcol (29th March 2015), Clunk (30th March 2015), jack (30th March 2015), threedogs (29th March 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep even more pics

sorry......more pics

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

Avo (22nd April 2015), Bigcol (29th March 2015), Clunk (30th March 2015), jack (30th March 2015), threedogs (29th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't apologise for more pics, we love pics! Nice setup too

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

gregs (30th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very professional mate.
    Well done
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

gregs (30th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    love your work Greg very neat, and agree 100% why buy something
    that will need to be modified to suit your needs. I dont like drawer systems
    but in your case Ill make an exception, lol

Do you have a dog that will travell on some shorter trips?
    some LEDS along the bottom of the door will illuminate your work area.
    Last edited by threedogs; 29th March 2015 at 02:24 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

15. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

gregs (30th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mate, if and when I do upgrade to the Y62 - can I order a set please???

awesome work, love it
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

gregs (30th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg, great job mate very very tidy and well thought out job.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

gregs (30th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an amazing job mate. Well done, the baught ones wouldn't look that good.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to krbrooking For This Useful Post:

gregs (30th March 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast