OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: GQ Dash - Speedo repair - Parts or people to fix it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Dash - Speedo repair - Parts or people to fix it?

G'day,
    My gq td42 dash has kicked the bucket and decided to tell me its doing 160km/hr. Before that it was jumping all over the place. I know it is a common issue. What I want to know is how do you fix it, where can you get parts, is there anybody on here who can fix it for a reasonable price? There is one guy on ebay who does them for close to 300 dollars, and for that price I'm happy to keep guessing my speed.

Cheers in advance.
    Flip er on er wheels, she'll run!
    4.2 Diesel GQ 4" King'n'ProComp Lift, 33's, Gu steer box conversion, custom drawers and a heavy right foot. Turbo kit, quarter chop and a heap of barwork coming very soon!
    A BIG thanks to Johnny at Repco Northside Rocky for always sourcing me the gear and parts I need ASAP You've saved me many times.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send Mudnut a PM, not sure if he has looked at TD clusters before but he has been working on TB clusters

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Gauge-Clusters
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello Kelvinator. Your speedo problem is very common. It is easy to remove the cluster from the dash and to pop the shroud and cover off.

Each gauge can be removed separately. Check all of the soldering as it can deteriorate over time.

Check your wiring harness from the back of the gearbox all the way to the cluster.

At this stage I have the equipment to test clusters but have no spare clusters, parts or cash to acquire some.

I did spot a person on EBay that does swap over units for $110 a while back. Maybe he has lifted his price.

Does your cluster have a similar layout to this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, dash looks about the same as that from memory.
    4.2 Diesel GQ 4" King'n'ProComp Lift, 33's, Gu steer box conversion, custom drawers and a heavy right foot. Turbo kit, quarter chop and a heap of barwork coming very soon!
    A BIG thanks to Johnny at Repco Northside Rocky for always sourcing me the gear and parts I need ASAP You've saved me many times.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can spin the speed sender by hand and it should give you a couple of volts. I have found it is easy to use a battery drill to run the speedo up to 60kph. If you can get someone to run the drill, you might be able to get the speedo to replicate the fault by tapping the cluster and loom.

It might be easier to get a cluster from a wrecker and swap out the speedo if you find no fault with the loom or sender.
    Last edited by mudnut; 29th March 2015 at 09:47 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah righteo. Hopefully I can scam a new cluster cheap off one of my mates. Or somebody will magically appear with a tell all guide on how to repair them right after this post. *Fingers Crossed*

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your problem sound like what I had - broken crystal (the legs on the commonent corrode)

A couple of peole have found the same problem
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had 2 bits missing off my speedo. ( crystal and the one beside it) managed to find a working one from the wreckers and switched it out cos it was from a petrol. but keepin the old one so i can fix it if i need to later.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin