OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UHF problem discovered - but what to do?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UHF problem discovered - but what to do?

I have been putting up with a CB which has a lot of ‘noise’ for some time, mainly because I don’t use it very often. However circumstances have changed & I find myself needing to use it more often.

It is a Uniden dash mounted unit. Initially installed it myself, wired directly to the crank battery. Because of the problem I thought perhaps I had wired it incorrectly & took it to professional installers who reinstalled it using a different power source (still useable when ignition off, but power not taken directly off the battery).

No problem exists whilst the ignition is turned off, but turn on the ignition & a number of channels (but not all) become unusable. Squelch does not work & their is constant noise. (Yes I do know how to use squelch). Irritatingly sometimes some channels work & sometimes they don’t which made me think about a loose connection somewhere.

BUT last weekend I was out 4wd’ing in a convoy & needed to be able to communicate with others, so I took our hand held units. Stuff me if both hand helds didn’t suffer with exactly the same problem. Ignition off - no problem. Ignition on (didn’t even need to have the motor started showing it was something which was switched on with the ignition key turned to ‘accessories’). Clearly something in the car which comes on with the ignition turned to accessory was causing interference. Possibilities included a dash cam, TPMS, & fm radio. This was a step forward, discounting other things like the dc to dc charger & other vehicle components.

Turns out the Pioneer fm radio is the culprit. Pulled it’s fuse - no more problem. The radio is a relatively new model, bought a couple of years ago at around the same time I bought the CB.

Whilst I can obviously use the CB by first removing the fuse for the radio this is not really a satisfactory solution. I am also hoping that a new radio will not be required. So my question is ...... is there anything else I can do to resolve the problem?

Although the radio & CB are next to each other in the dash I don’t believe their proximity to each other is the cause (because the hand held units were affected).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (28th March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact pioneer and see what the unit emits that could be causing interference. As far as I knew, a headunit is purely a receiver.
    Does it have bluetooth or something that it could be trying to communicate via.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No bluetooth (it’s a ‘base’ model). Just an fm/am radio, disc player & MP3 player.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its a base model then bite the bullet, bin it (or give it to somone without a uhf) and buy an alpine. Problem solved.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive noticed that the earth wire in my gu doesn't connect through the aerpro adaptor harness for some reason and my dvd headunit earths out through the headunit body.
    Then again, i cant see a bad earth emitting radio waves / jaming waves

Thanks
    Thanked 7,983 Times in 3,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earthing is important so make sure the stereo is well earthed but I doubt you will fix this.
    I have investigated why different things have caused interference for work and it is time consuming and difficult.
    We had ticket reading machines in buses causing interference to Two Way Radios and it took me a couple of days to find a fix for it and has to modify all the machines.
    My advice would be bite the bullet and replace the stereo.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What he said ^^^^

If the hand helds are picking it up then it is the Head Unit actually radiating a signal.
    Usual cause but not always is the power supply circuitry.

Give the Head Unit to a Prado owner
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you go out and buy a new head unit, at least try re earthing the current head unit to see if that makes any different. No point binning a working product if it just needs a better ground.

I have a jvc headunit and gme UHF and they are both using the same power and ground (earthed to the metal frame in the dash) and I have no issues.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks. I’ll try earthing it,but if it fails I’m tempted to get an MP3 only head unit. I like the look of the Alpine IDA X305S except that it has no front USB. Also I guess there are no guarantees that whatever replacement I got wouldn’t have the same problem. Anyone else have a head unit with full ipod control which works ok with your CB that you’d recommend?(Prefer a MP3 only unit - never use CD’s these days). It seems that paying more gets you a heap of features which I doubt I’d use - eg bluetooth, hands free, net streaming etc. I just want a clean sound (accepting the constraints of a ute cab) & a working CB. Easy uncluttered controls & a nice crisp/clear display which tells me what’s playing are also desirable.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive bashed around an alpine head unit through 3 4wds now over 10 years. Still goes strong. Benefit of rearward usb is you can run it under the carpet and have it come up near your centre console and not have cables hanging past your shifter. Got a new alpine unit in my ute as well, pretty happy with it, has usb, bluetooth car phone(damn useful, never had one of those before) and tonnes of other features which actually work really well. I got it from JB HIFI, wasnt the base model was a few up, single din and it ended up around $200 with 5 year warranty. I've had tonnes of other units (ive owned too many cars) and I just keep going back to the alpine. And here's the best bit you wanna hear, never impacted on my UHF.

Side note, Is the aerials frequency/impedance/doohickety or whatever suited the the uhf? Excuse my laymans terms but I had trouble with that once before when they were mismatched. Never knew what set it off though.
    Flip er on er wheels, she'll run!
    4.2 Diesel GQ 4" King'n'ProComp Lift, 33's, Gu steer box conversion, custom drawers and a heavy right foot. Turbo kit, quarter chop and a heap of barwork coming very soon!
    A BIG thanks to Johnny at Repco Northside Rocky for always sourcing me the gear and parts I need ASAP You've saved me many times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast