Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 24v electrical nightmare

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the cluster is all 24v there is no 12v in it at all. and all the globes in the cluster are 24v. i pulled apart the oil pressure and coolant temp and there is signs of burnt damage to the board but it was still doing it with everything disconnected from cluster aswel so it cant be that but id say it has caused those to instruments to fry out. now im gona have to find a new 24v cluster because i doubt i will be able to find those two parts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24V dimming light neagtive earth negative body giving 12.5voltage

Hi there. Any updates on this topic what was the fault? I hope safari didn't die. I am new owner of Safari and I am experiencing after 2 years of ownership same problem. I get from negative battery lead and from chassis earth 12.5Volts leaks from somwhere.
    My problem start when I decided to put led bar on it. I installed everything and it worked ok and suddenly after 3minutes I got on dash warning light on red battery and yellow fuel filter. Now the warning lights are dimming I started to investigate what could happen. I pull off all LED bar harness away. Only what worry me is that i poked firewal with harness in order to install switch. Could I possible damaged wire inside the firewall? and now is shorting in there? When I remove Alternator fuse in engine bay the voltage leak disappear but not fully. There is still on negative to negative 0.7volts leaking. Could be damaged alternator diod on it or something giving these symptons? Interesting is when I switch headlight on it jump to 12.5volts without alternator fuse. Battery is healthy shows 12.7V. Please someone help me to diagnose this problem I know this is strong community and someone is here with similar problem.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check both batteries and check the connection between them. Sounds like the crossover could be grounding.

Edit: maybe not grounding as you'd have a fire. But there's an issue there. I don't see how you could have 12.5v at ground on a properly earthed system unless one of the batteries isn't connected properly.
    Last edited by 0-TJ-0; 2nd April 2019 at 07:46 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Safari 24V owners I have to share what happened with a car at the End. It turned out that negative on battery and negative on earth giving 12.5volts because it is link in series battery found that on internet on wiring diagram on mg previous 24V model. Warning lights were on because 2 alternator diods were off, but alternator was still charging so I couldn't figure out on my own what was going on so I ended up in Autospark shop with bill $330 2 hours labour to find out what is wrong. They found melted earth cable from alternator going behind washer bottle.... and told me that I got 2 bad diods of 6. Then I bought alternator genex branded and Hitachi who knows what it is (china probably) for $230 of ebay which is cheap i think considering there is vacuum pump on it got it changed by myself and warning went off to my luck and is everything working as it should. Now the root cause of my problem started when I decided to install my led bar. I installed all correctly only I could choose better way how to get cable for switch in the cabin. Then I put negative terminal back on battery and for some reason I didn't tight up negative terminal strong enough or something distracted me. Then next morning my battery were low because of all testing for led bar and not properly attached negative terminal caused alternator pushing to much amp trying to charge battery and that would explain burned cable from alternator and overheating diods in it.(My theory). Anyway alternator was more then 7years old and I`ve got expensive lesson, but I learned a lot from this using multi meter and about alternators and 24v systems. I hope this help someone as well one day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Majkoperth For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (26th April 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you figured it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123