Thread: TB48E Engine oil leak

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB48E Engine oil leak

Well I have been monitoring an oil leak that is not dripping on the floor yet, but is spreading at the rear of the engine where the engine and transmission meet. I have been watching this leak for 15,000kms now, and is increasing area where oil is covering, still not dripping on the floor. My Nissan is trying to be a LR. :thumbdown:

It is definitely not the valve/rocker cover, and seems to be the headgasket! My Patrol is 2nd hand patrol, that I bought at 44,000kms and is on 76,000kms.

See pictures below. Note that my car is a left hand drive. The oil seems to be leaking from below the head, and not from anywhere near the oil filter or oil cooler. Definetly oil and not coolant, but can't confirm if it is engine oil or transmission fluid.

Both the transmission fluid and engine oil are above the max limit...infact the transmission seems over filled.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it would be the rear seal on the crankshaft.

I believe it can be replaced without pulling out the engine, the gearbox will need to come out though. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will respond here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have an automatic transmission, make sure you check the level while the engine is running in park. As for the leak, degrease the area thoroughly to make it easier to trace.
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
    If you have an automatic transmission, make sure you check the level while the engine is running in park. As for the leak, degrease the area thoroughly to make it easier to trace.
    I thought this too. But the owners manual dipstick low/high is very different to the dipstick that I have. I also had to buy the dipstick and dipstick pipe to fit onto the transmission, my patrol did not have a dipstick as the factory stopped supplying them with all the y61 a while back! So I am not sure what my readings are. I have booked the car in to the service centre for the 1st of April, will keep this updated.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So dropped the patrol of at Nissan dealer day before, and picked her up today. Verdict is after they looked at the leak, and cleaned the area out, and then drove for 150kms, that the wetness is from rust proofing. Which I have also noticed on the rear diff. The rust proof chemical must have a very low melting point, and the wet area was on the block, and near the exhaust manifold.

So I have been asked to keep an eye on it, and bring it back after 1000kms. But they do not suspect that engine oil is leaking. I too had my doubts as the engine oil was not depleting when checking the dipstick, or the transmission oil. But from the picture you can see it did not look good, and seemed that the leak was there.

Anyhow they also mentioned that they have never received a y61/tb48 with a leaking gasket. Hmmm so when it leaks, I am not taking it to them as they may not have experience on completing a head gasket job.

Anyway I have 2 night trip next weekend, which I can go on now!! :blonde: :blonde: :blonde: :blonde: :blonde:

So time to do a little planning.