OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used one of these tents or know about them?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    there's also this style http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/, which there are now a number of derivatives from the likes of Oztrail, Anacondas Dune Eyre (which I have, link can be found here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...lus-10x14-Tent), I'm very much liking mine, plenty of room for 5 of us on stretchers or self-inflating mats

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

SonOf (24th March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    All I can say is season it well and check for leaks after that.

Winnie and I have similar tent, we got the tourier and by not seasoning it we found out the hardway in the middle of nowhere heading up to the Simpson.

That was officially in my top ten worst camping nights!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

Yeah shit night... Though I had seasoned my tent and seasoned it well... I have since completely painted it with brush on water proofer and also put seam sealer over every seam...
    Doing a week long trip through NSW with rain every day saw us getting a fair bit of water in towards the end... It is just cheap canvas.
    Since then I have bought a well made Australian camper trailer with Aussie canvas, spent a weekend with heavy rain non stop for 24 hours, the inside of the canvas was bone dry.

My advice is to save the pennies and spend twice that amount on a good quality tent. My mate has the same style made by outback campers with Aussie canvas and it is sensational

Good point, My tent is pretty heaavy canvas and never seen a drop inside so when buying one make sure you get HD canvas and not the cheap light stuff

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

SonOf (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Covo71 View Post
    We got one from Annaconda about 6 months back and used it at least a dozen times. 2 adults and 2 kids. Decent quality and spot on in crap weather. Easy to put up up and down but need a little bit of strength to do it. Don't think wifey could do it. Bit of weight to throw on the roof. http://www.anacondastores.com/campin...t/p/BP90043420
    It says 10 X 10 but it is 10 X 14(typo). We bought it 50% off. $450 at the time.
    Ahhh just spotted your post
    The 10x14 is called a Dune Eyre Plus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

SonOf (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post

Good point, My tent is pretty heaavy canvas and never seen a drop inside so when buying one make sure you get HD canvas and not the cheap light stuff
    Yep you get what you paid for...lol

I've been in the rain with that tent after that trip and not leaked but if you had solid heavy rain for hours the cheaper canvas can fail.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

SonOf (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I bought an Oztent RV4 recently and it is seriously awesome. At 2m long, it has to go on the roof but setup and pack down is ridiculously easy and the quality is outstanding.
    Highly recommended and I got mine with the floor saver and fly for under a grand new.

I also used a Black Wolf Tuff Dome Plus from time to time (until I bought the Oztent) and that has been a great tent too. I got it for under $500 from Anaconda and with 2 people it takes about 15 minutes to set up and would withstand a cyclone. Being Black Wolf, the quality is also a cut above. Pack down is pretty good too. Also highly recommended.

As some others have alluded to, much better to spend some extra coin as there's nothing worse than a horrendous, wet nights camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

SonOf (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had use of dads RV5 for a few years and I'll certainly be buying one when i find a special somewhere.
    Best tent I've ever used. Simple to set up and no need for pegs and ropes if its a calm night.
    30 second tent hands down.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mjr350 For This Useful Post:

SonOf (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of good canvas ..... two stories.

Our first trip away in our Southern Cross centre pole tent - we were pretty new to the Australian bush & made the mistake of pitching camp in a dry creek bed. Of course it P*ssed down with rain. Woke in the morning to find that the tent was sitting in the middle of a flowing stream, about 5” deep. The tent floor moved like a water bed. Not a drop of water got into the tent!

Our current Shipshape rooftop tent. Sat outside, whilst it was packed up, a heavy storm. I forgot about it for several days & then checked it. I found several inches of water pooled in the middle. We didn’t have the doona in there at the time, so the pool was deeper than it otherwise may have been, but nevertheless I was concerned that the water would have soaked through the canvas & wet the new innerspring mattress. Opened it up to find everything inside bone dry. Not a drop had seeped through.

Good canvas is heavy & expensive, but when the weather turns to cr*p it’s very reassuring to have. Combine it with good design & it’s a cause to smile ever time you use it.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (25th March 2015), SonOf (25th March 2015), Winnie (25th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got an Oztrail Mitchell double swag. It might not be the most expensive but its got pretty heavy canvas. I've been caught in 3 horrendous storms one which lasted 2 days and not a drop inside. There's something magical about being inside knowing your protected.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mjr350 For This Useful Post:

SonOf (25th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My brother just spent $2500 on southern cross to completely redo the entire canvas on his old jayco pop top.

Expensive but wow!

Their quality canvas, zips, Velcro etc is just worth every penny.

Better then what jayco did

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    My partner and I bought the below tent from Anaconda before a two week trip to Tassie. We setup/packed up daily, and it takes less than 5 minutes for one person to setup, and just over to pack it back up.
    Don't have any complaints, we endured some freakishly strong winds while on the West Coast, we had no shelter except the tent - it took a beating and loved it. We had no water come through the canvas, the only issue we did have was that the wind was so strong it basically pushed the rain up the canvas and into the window mesh, so we had a bit of a leak from the windows mesh... To be honest, I can't really fault the tent for this though, it was freakish weather - other than a zip at the bottom of the window, or a full strip of Velcro, there's no stopping it (and then you'd have zero airflow).

http://www.anacondastores.com/campin...t/p/BP90028981

That's the tent, once again, I love it, best tent I've ever owned. We got it for $350 on special and it comes with the side pole kit.
    You wasnt camped towards Granville Harbour by any chance? strong winds no shelter gives the area away LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast