User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off road driving technique

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me personally I hate the hand throttle. While I have used it I few times, I much prefer to wedge my foot against the door in such a way that I can roll my foot on the throttle. I find I can keep it steady in this way, and is much easier to make fine adjustments to the throttle.

Cheers
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Punderhead For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the idea of a hand throttle, to easy for something to go wrong for my liking.

Sometimes your foot will bounce, but once you get used it to youll find it doesnt do it as much.

I personally put my weight on my heel then use my ankle to control the speed, whilst also holding my foot still. Same deal as a long drive with no cruise control, you get used to holding your foot exactly where you want it. Which ever way you go, practice helps. Wheel time is the key
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it doesn't happen when your foot is flat to the floor ha ha
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

Punderhead (23rd March 2015), Rossco (23rd March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    I find it doesn't happen when your foot is flat to the floor ha ha
    winner for the best technique yet hahaha
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day Cuppa
    I`ved always had my foot against the kick panel and rolled my foot on the throttle. If you use the hand throttle you can over ride it if more revs are needed as it`s designed so you can do that . If the kick panel is too far away you could build it out a little with a piece of timber.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to drive with my knee against the door, heel on the floor in front and slightly left of the go pedal and use the right side of my foot behind my toes on the bottom of the pedal so it limits the movement of my foot when bouncing. When I need more throttle I can roll my foot across the pedal to the ball of my foot and further depress the peddle. Kind of hard to describe, as I type it, but works for me.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    I tend to drive with my knee against the door, heel on the floor in front and slightly left of the go pedal and use the right side of my foot behind my toes on the bottom of the pedal so it limits the movement of my foot when bouncing. When I need more throttle I can roll my foot across the pedal to the ball of my foot and further depress the peddle. Kind of hard to describe, as I type it, but works for me.

I kinda understand, as this works for me too
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa,

It is also a bit more practicing too .... great excuse for it .......

Just be thankful you have the 4.2 ..... When I had my 4.2, I found it extremely controllable and never really had too many issues after I got used to the way it drove through the rough stuff, as the motor was entirely predictable due to the fairly linear torque curve.
    In the end I knew that motor inside out, after driving it all over the place, in all sorts of conditions ... how much you could lug it, how much throttle pressure to apply, etc, etc

The 3 Litre was a different kettle of fish, and I couldn't believe how bad I was at driving it in slow rough conditions when I first got it, as sometimes it would pull out just nicely, and the next time it would just stall ... and trying to keep a steady pace in the rough .... my wife used to just turn and look at me and ask me if I had forgotten how to drive as it was like driving a pogo stick - that's how sensitive and unpredictable the throttle can be .... my reply was well you have a go, and tell me how to do it better

Nowdays after getting used to it and adjusting my style, I think I can now drive it just as good, and probably much better .... I do wedge my knee against the door, my foot against the kick panel, my heel in the floor, and roll the foot over the pedal, but I have been doing it that long now, I don't even give it a thought...

As others have said give this method a try, and persist with it, even if it feels a little strange at first

Mic
    Last edited by happygu; 23rd March 2015 at 10:37 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not trying to be the smartest bloke here, but the hand throttle is for dealing with stalls or forced stops on steep uphill inclines, when you have to restart and it's too dangerous to take your foot off the brake to flick it over to the throttle. Even pressing the clutch in when in this predicament can be dangerous in case you lose the machine backward. Best suited to the torque of a diesel for this, but can be done with petrol. Hand throttle is not for driving with, and would be even harder to control when you're getting bounced around. I can't believe what im reading! Have you guys been out bush yet or bloody what!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutNut View Post
    Have you guys been out bush yet or bloody what!
    No mate, never....... whats out bush?

I use mine for cruising down freeways at 150kph, is that the wrong thing to do?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast