Thread: Off road driving technique

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off road driving technique

A question to those more experienced than me.

When driving up bumpy & rutted hills I sometimes find that the throttle is ‘surging’ because of my foot bouncing a little on the accelerator pedal. I know some folk with narrower cars wedge their knee against the door to keep things more steady, but the Patrol is a bit too wide to do that (at least for me). Seems to be more of an issue when revs are a above about 2500rpm. What do you do?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,414 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is exactly what the hand throttle is for. Or jam your foot hard up against the kick panel and it is more steady.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lotsa options depending;
    1. Suck it up
    2. Use the hand throttle (all real 4X's have one, shopping trolleys don't)
    3. Put a bit of sponge behind the pedal between it and the floor (esp if you have a PIA 'fly by wire' like the ZD30's)
    4. Change your foot position so you are rolling onto the pedal rather than pressing it
    5. Heavier return spring
    6. Get your missus to drive (hehehe just jokin')
    7. Choose a better line (jokin' again... most of the time)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 23rd March 2015 at 03:12 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    some ppl call this "Toyota lurch", can get quite comical if it gets out of hand,
    but all I would suggest is instead of using your ankle use your foot sideways as the others said jammed against the kick panel
    Handle throttles are Ok for some circumstances but not all I'm afraid
    an acreditted course with a decent instructor will sort you out
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sponge is the go, one of those ones you use for washing cars
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

threedogs (23rd March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    Sponge is the go, one of those ones you use for washing cars
    ...plus in an emergency dump situation (after trying to keep up) ZD30 owners can use it to wipe their rrse if the paper is still on the line drying.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th March 2015), Clunk (23rd March 2015), Gecko17 (24th March 2015), Winnie (23rd March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Ah ha! A cross-threaded comment, ET.
    Is there no end to this man’s sophistication?!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You got me, Cuppa. I deleted the post.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    You got me, Cuppa. I deleted the post.
    ’tis alright MN, I was referring to the ever increasing sophistication of our illustrious jester ET (otherwise known as TET). The cross threaded humour is a definite step upward .............. I think?

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (23rd March 2015), the evil twin (23rd March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hehehehe... seriously tho for a minute ( a short one)...

Try the sponge, it works a treat usually and doesn't cost anything to try.
    I didn't have much choice on my CRD, some of the noise pedals on those suckers are as skittish as Liberal back bencher.
    Mine had a change out and the new pedal was one of the worst for it I've ever driven.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast