Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image-2273161449.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Clunk (24th March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutNut View Post
    "hand throttle was NOT designed to get you to "gain forward momentum up massive inclines"
    it was designed to give you the ability to use the throttle WITHOUT using your feet - ever heard of the old Capstan Winch - or a PTO........??? you use a hand throttle for those"

Its called a hand throttle because it's a hand throttle. We all know you don't need your feet to use it. Anytime a winch is used, an operator needs to be in the vehicle to maintain control if something snaps or otherwise goes wrong, otherwise the car goes on its own way uncontrolled. The procedure for that is simply open the bonnet to shield the person in the drivers seat from a snapped cable.

"looking at situations where you're stuck stationary on dangerous slopes when you need the grip of four calipers on the disc/drums.
    mate, if your in THIS situation, you have OTHER things to worry about - like just HOW did you get in this predicament......"

If you're stuck in said situation, what you need to know is how to get out of it.

You sound like someone who'll end up injuring somebody else, if natural selection doesn't take its course first.
    thanks for your Vote of confidence in me

better hope I'm not the only person around when you stall half way up a hill mate - which it sounds like you do quite frequently

Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

Winnie (24th March 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen...

Take a step back... Dismount the moral high horse...

We're here to learn stuff, pass on hard earned knowledge. It looses it's effectiveness when buried in a slinging match.

I was enjoying this thread.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

Avo (25th March 2015), Bob (25th March 2015), cgm (24th March 2015), happygu (24th March 2015), krbrooking (24th March 2015), threedogs (25th March 2015), TPC (25th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as there is so many different types of 4wd's now
    same as so many different people driving them

what works for 1, may or may not work for another

I will apologize to Troutnut, as obviously he has only ever done a particular course run by some famous dude......

I did 2 with the Australian Army in 1970 (in New Guinea)& 1978 (Midland Base Workshops), in Land Rovers - so what was applicable then, is way way way out of date now
    especially as we dont have Jungle in West Aust, nore do I drive a Land Rover

I have also learnt that you are NEVER to old to learn something new - with regards to 4wd's, driving situations etal
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

cgm (24th March 2015), Drewboyaus (24th March 2015), katwoman (25th March 2015), Maxhead (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcol View Post
    as there is so many different types of 4wd's now same as so many different people driving them what works for 1, may or may not work for another I will apologize to Troutnut, as obviously he has only ever done a particular course run by some famous dude...... I did 2 with the Australian Army in 1970 (in New Guinea)& 1978 (Midland Base Workshops), in Land Rovers - so what was applicable then, is way way way out of date now especially as we dont have Jungle in West Aust, nore do I drive a Land Rover I have also learnt that you are NEVER to old to learn something new - with regards to 4wd's, driving situations etal
    Did that course involve learning to change Landrover axles? Recovery techniques using a Nissan Patrol? LOL

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah, the old series IIa was / is far better than the later ones........

had to be recovered twice in Patrols - both times sand was like talcum powder
    probably 1/2 doz times when I used to drive Cruisers, and always in freaking MUD..............

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So windows up or down?

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (25th March 2015), Drewboyaus (24th March 2015), gaddy (24th March 2015), happygu (24th March 2015), Punderhead (25th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    So windows up or down?
    Just disconnect the battery for 30.15 min and the hill will disappear
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And make sure you clean the MAF.....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

gaddy (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have learned one thing from this thread : a patrol accelerator is sponge-worthy. I will try using a sponge under the pedal next time I encounter some rough stuff.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th March 2015), cgm (25th March 2015), threedogs (25th March 2015)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast