Thread: Off road driving technique

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Uuummmm... Bullshit, sorry, but it is... and any Instructor teaching that the "one and only purpose of a hand throttle is immediate high RPM on ign start for extreme hill starts" should be immediately stripped of accreditation assuming they hold some in the first place.
    So what do you think its for then, warming up your car, or cruise control? Must be one of the two, surely.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutNut View Post
    So what do you think its for then, warming up your car, or cruise control? Must be one of the two, surely.
    Must be for getting me bacon and egg butties warmed up quicker

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Must be for getting me bacon and egg butties warmed up quicker

Actually I use it as a place to hang my manbag when negotiating those nasty speed bumps at Bunnings
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th March 2015), happygu (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Actually I use it as a place to hang my manbag when negotiating those nasty speed bumps at Bunnings
    Woah slow down there mate, that just seems a wee bit adventurous for my liking

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If no one cares I might get back on track?? If you do care about staying off topic for what Cuppa asked, then well ...

I've never had a truck with a hand throttle and agree with the many different descriptions of basically the same thing. Even without the hand throttle you can get used to positioning yourself and keeping it somewhat stable most of the time. Some days things will take you by surprise and you won't!

The hand throttle sounds good to me to have a slightly higher base to avoid stalling. But I think that would also take time to get used to. Don't think I'd want it set too high, but can see the logic in using it.

So, the conclusion to all this (which was also mentioned several times above)? Get out and practice! Then get out some more. Try some of the ideas from above and after a while you will have a system that works for you. If not, get out some more and eventually you will. You'll feel comfortable and do whatever it is you do and it will work without thinkimg about it. Kind of like learning to change gears really?? Can be awkward for learners but with time it just happens.

So, when are we going next?
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgm For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (24th March 2015), katwoman (24th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, I personally prefer to keep me foot wedged up against the kick panel, irrespective of whether im driving the auto or the manual. However, I have also used the hand throttle locked in for a slow even controlled ascent. Might even try the sponge one day, for shits n giggles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgm View Post
    If no one cares I might get back on track?? If you do care about staying off topic for what Cuppa asked, then well ...
    Spoilsport

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutNut View Post
    Gotta love the way you word things. 'A very significant risk' is what im getting at. Im talking about slopes where compression isn't going to hold you. I realise most 4wdriving uphill starts don't need hand throttle, im only talking about extreme cases. If you have to go somewhere you don't want to go, with a bushfire up your backside, then some slopes are your only option and not recovering from a stall isn't an option. Plenty of people go up big slopes for the fun of it, and anyone doing it needs to know how to drive. There's also plenty of dead or wheelchair bound people who didn't know what they were doing.
    Mate , ET is on the money. I have never been on a 4wd course that teaches anything about a forward hill start and hand throttle (and I have been on a few). That is completely incorrect driving technique. Stalled on a steep hill requires correct use of the stall recovery technique which requires you to descend the hill backwards to a flat position where you can safely make another attempt at said hill. I've driven some ridiculous gradients and even the (relative lack of) compression in my petrol has held me on those slopes enough to complete a stall recovery safely. In extreme cases where it is not safe to descend, it's out with the winch.
    A FORWARD HILL/HANDBRAKE START IS A DANGEROUS PRACTISE EVEN ON MILD HILLS.
    I would suggest you take a refresher course on correct driving techniques before giving dangerous advice to others.

The hand throttle is used to ascend hills (as Winnie pointed out right at the beginning of this thread) by setting the RPM at the bottom of the climb and is a good way to help smooth out any surging. Personally, I generally use the wedged knee technique as also described in this thread as it gives me a little more fine throttle control. Sometimes I use a bit of a combination of the two......hand throttle and a little bit of brake or throttle as required.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My troopy had a hand throttle ,,,,,,for rocky,, slow,,, even work it was fantastic, I never used it for going up or down a hill
    Did freak some mates out once when I jumped out of the Troopy and started giving hand signals in front of the 4x4, mates following thought
    who the hell is driving TDs 4x4 lol, was a carpark type situation, Firth Park to be exact
    Try not to form bad habits they will linger
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Mate , ET is on the money. I have never been on a 4wd course that teaches anything about a forward hill start and hand throttle (and I have been on a few). That is completely incorrect driving technique. Stalled on a steep hill requires correct use of the stall recovery technique which requires you to descend the hill backwards to a flat position where you can safely make another attempt at said hill. I've driven some ridiculous gradients and even the (relative lack of) compression in my petrol has held me on those slopes enough to complete a stall recovery safely. In extreme cases where it is not safe to descend, it's out with the winch.
    A FORWARD HILL/HANDBRAKE START IS A DANGEROUS PRACTISE EVEN ON MILD HILLS.
    I would suggest you take a refresher course on correct driving techniques before giving dangerous advice to others.

The hand throttle is used to ascend hills (as Winnie pointed out right at the beginning of this thread) by setting the RPM at the bottom of the climb and is a good way to help smooth out any surging. Personally, I generally use the wedged knee technique as also described in this thread as it gives me a little more fine throttle control. Sometimes I use a bit of a combination of the two......hand throttle and a little bit of brake or throttle as required.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    So now im the one giving dangerous advice!! Sometimes decending backward isn't an option, and winches don't come in 100m+.
    There seems to be a few class clowns here, or maybe just self designated smartarses who crave the attention.

I did my 4wdriving course with Peter Reynolds during my time in the emergency services. He has an OAM for his 4wd training services for his various training of government departments. He trains a lot of our ES departments. I think he's got a little more credibility than you, and anyone else who doesn't seem to know what the little stick that makes the engine rev is for other than being a bit of a novelty.
    Maybe you'd like to google him, all you smartarses and expert keyboard jockeys. Im sure he'd even take the time to have a chat with you on the phone, that'd be 0428 623458

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast