Thread: Working Tail Light Install

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working Tail Light Install

Hi, I apologise in advance for the vagueness. Im on my 3rd phone and have lost all my pictures..
    I was originally going to have a complete step by step for series 1-3 working tail light install but like I said phone issues.

Basically it was pretty straight forward and I haven't had any issues with fuses blowing etc like some others have mentioned (I have also done towing with the working set and no problems with the additional trailer lighting)

I'll try tell it as best I can from memory.

The tail lights come out reasonably easy, they're just held in by a couple of screws from the inside of the body, just remove the interior trim.

I've used a pair of series 3 tail lights (red brake lense with clear indicator and reverse) with globes off ebay. Updates the look a little.

On mine, a series 1 GU, it has plugs to both sides pre-installed.
    The left hand rear is pre wired with the LH indicator, Reverse, tail, brake and -ve.
    The right hand rear is pre-wired with the RH indicator and tail (i think)
    I pulled up the flooring trim that runs across the floor at the tailgate and used a drill to hollow out a channel. Inside this I taped 3 wires, an oversize -ve, (might've been 2.5mm and 2 x 1.5mm) for the reverse and brake lights.
    Just take care when you run the cables that they wont get caught in any pinch points etc, I used the drill to take off some plasctic here and there.
    I also used some rubber edging to protect the cables where they ran past metal.
    After that it was just terminating and bolting the new lights in.

2014-11-26 17.43.56.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Laurie For This Useful Post:

Ibbo (25th June 2015), threedogs (22nd March 2015), TroutNut (22nd March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I used mine as reverse lights using LEDs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (22nd March 2015), Dave_H (24th March 2015), TroutNut (22nd March 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I used mine as reverse lights using LEDs
    Thanks for a good idea, I though about hooking up the body mounted lenses (that are decorations on my GQ) to increase the tail visibility, as my tails are only in the bumper, but I have no globe holder fitting as of yet in the body lenses. No reverse light to speak of yet other than the factory reverse light indicater, and your idea is a neat way of installing decent reverse lights. I hate reversing in the scrub when I cant see a thing.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah I should also mention that the photo makes the reverse look orange, but is actually white.

Ive been tossing up whether to use LEDs, hows the light for reverse? Just by adding the extra one on the RH side has made a huge difference in visibility.

I added this post as its an alternative to others where they run the cable from the bumper or through bodywork etc. this way keeps all cabling more or less within the bodywork. I just wish I hadnt lost those photos

That's a good idea about doubling up on the reverse for going bush, depends what you want I guess, mine was done for extra peace of mind that people can see me when they glance up in between their texting...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to _Laurie For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (22nd March 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Cree leds are the go I reckon, amazing amount of light for a tiny chip, but they run fairly hot too. Im never in reverse for extended periods of time though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    LEDs produce no heat as there is no working part so to speak. I have 2 x 120 smd LEDs in each side
    reversing in the bush is now doable, I have since removed to 27watt flood light, as Ive plenty of light.
    so 480 smd leds in all , in fact my Patrol is completely LED and HID
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Laurie View Post
    That's a good idea about doubling up on the reverse for going bush, depends what you want I guess, mine was done for extra peace of mind that people can see me when they glance up in between their texting...
    one of the main reasons I did this mod within a week of buying my GU
    on the drive home from when I picked it up, I nearly had 4 people run up my clackker as they dont see the lights in the bottom of the bumper.......

also why I still haven't gotten around to a rear bar...... dont like the lights in ANY of the ones I have seen
    (yes I know they are "LED" and very bright - at night - its the day time loser's on the road I worry about
    IMG_9240.jpg
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have white globes behind the red brake and yellow[amber] len's.
    The only globe I didnt change as PPL were staring all the time was the OE
    amber globe for the front indicators, PPl have no problems seeing what Im doing now
    in the daytime. FYI dont put red leds behind red len's that may be your problem

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah TD, I dont have any LED's at the back...............

that pic was AFTER I had the lenses taken off and cleaned...........

I put in Euro spec tail lights, as all the fittings are already in them, only had to run a wire for the reversing light on RHside
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    LEDs produce no heat as there is no working part so to speak. I have 2 x 120 smd LEDs in each side
    reversing in the bush is now doable, I have since removed to 27watt flood light, as Ive plenty of light.
    so 480 smd leds in all , in fact my Patrol is completely LED and HID
    Sounds good. My only experience with the new cree led's is a headlamp with a cree xml t6 chip, it gets smoking hot after a while. Even came with a warning not to touch the lense or surrounding heat sink fins, they stuck the power button at the back of your head to keep fingers away from the light bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast