Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZD30 Lift Pump Mod

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 Lift Pump Mod

Had a few people ask about this mod since i have done it and also why i did it in the first place.
    I have added a lift pump (fuel pump) into the line of my ZD30, therefor keeping a constant supply of fuel pressure too the injector pump. This helps the strain on the injector pump by not having too suck fuel from the fuel tank, as well as helping with fuel injection timing in the lows revs because of the fuel on demand.
    Taking the strain off the injector pump should also prelong its life hopefully, also pluming the spill line back into the return line sends hot fuel back too the fuel tank and not back into the injectors
    Since doing this mod i have found i can now pull away from round-abouts in 3rd gear (i have a manual) and thats with 33's, whereas before it used too chug.
    I have also found it too be alot more responsive in the lower RPM range.

TO DO THIS MOD THE SPILL LINE NEEDS TOO BE ALTERED! More in the writeup.

I Used a Carter 4600HP Fuel pump which is only 6-8psi of MAX pressure

I made a bracket for the fuel pump which i mounted on the exhaust hanger bracket behind the rear wheel, i then covered the pump with some rubber just too stop anything hitting it from the tyre

Once this was done i used some 90 degree fittings for the fuel hose. The factory fuel hose from the tank is accessed under the carpet in the cargo area of a wagon. I dont have a photo but its a big metal plate, 4 bolts holding the cover plate down about 30cm inwards of the very back. If you have drawers in the back of your patrol then they will have too come out unfortunately. I removed the factory hose from the tank too the metal line and re-routed it though the pump. This is a good excuse to replace all the factory old fuel hoses.

As you can see in this photo there is a little fuel hose coming out under the intake manifold and joins into the large fuel line from the fuel filter at the pump. THIS IS THE SPILL LINE, the return line from the injectors. As you can see in the photo this needs too be blocked and that little fuel line plumbed back into the main fuel return line from the injector pump otherwise the return line from the injectors will be pressurised and this may damage something. I just used a t-piece for this from enzed.

The fuel pump is just wired from ignition so pump will work all the time. Hope this helps some of you
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to big_fletch For This Useful Post:

AB (20th March 2015), Badball (20th March 2015), Hodge (21st March 2015), mudski (21st March 2015), skiman (19th May 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome write up and mod mate. The bloke at JPC mentioned this to me when he was tuning and chipping my car. But wasn't sure whether it was worthwhile on a CRD, he was gonna get back to me on it, but I completely forgot about it.
    I will now look into it!
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds worthwhile if running extra filters. I took my pre-filter out because there was too much restriction in the system and I feared damaging the pump rather than prolonging its life. This mod would pressurise the system so that there would be less restriction on the pump.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Hodge (21st March 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fletcha. Once I sort this electrical mess on mine, this is next.
    Last edited by mudski; 21st March 2015 at 09:04 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run mine with pump inside the engine bay, Walbro FRB13 (8 psi max but will possibly change the pump to 12 psi max output monster), works like charm.

I'll wire overide and inertia switches when I could be bothered with it.
    I too gained low down torque a bit, it is very noticeable especially at light throtle it can easily power up where before downshift was required.
    It screwed needle/Dawes and JDVM adjustment for limps though because it is able to deliver/advance injection timing better, I still struggle to sort it out

One of the best mods for sure.

Regards
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 21st March 2015 at 03:45 PM.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    Sounds worthwhile if running extra filters. I took my pre-filter out because there was too much restriction in the system and I feared damaging the pump rather than prolonging its life. This mod would pressurise the system so that there would be less restriction on the pump.
    Good point mate.
    This is another reason why I'd like this mod as I run a fuel manager pre-filter too.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yer I was also looking at running a pre-filter. I definitely think it's a worthwhile mod, I'm trying too get the torque as low in the Rev range as I can and this definitely helped with that
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey'ya.
    What size fuel line did you use? How much line you reckon we need for the job? And what size is the T at the motor?
    If I were to do this I just want the shopping list ready so I don't get caught out not having the right parts on hand.

Edit : That T at the motor looks to be two different sizes mate. Adapted down to suit the small return line hose. Do you remember what sizes they are?
    Last edited by mudski; 23rd March 2015 at 08:50 AM.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "The fuel pump is just wired from ignition so pump will work all the time."

I've been looking into this and doing some homework. So when you say it's working "all" the time, I'm assuming this cuts out once it reaches max pressure build-up ? Even if ignition is on, but car not running ?
    So in a nutshell, these have a cut-out pressure switch or something built-in ?
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I've been looking into this and doing some homework. So when you say it's working "all" the time, I'm assuming this cuts out once it reaches max pressure build-up ? Even if ignition is on, but car not running ?
    So in a nutshell, these have a cut-out pressure switch or something built-in ?
    Good question but I assume if your ignition is on your car will be running so it won't matter. Don't confuse the "ignition on" with "accessories on". So don't wire it into accessories power...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast