Thread: can i get away with 2inch with 35s

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can i get away with 2inch with 35s

hey guys wondering if any of you guy know if you can get away with 2inch with 35 on need to get past rego change over to QLD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would guess at no way in the world but depends on how knowledgeable the dude is...
    33's you would have a chance but 35's really ring alarm bells to the Mermaids
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tristo89 View Post
    hey guys wondering if any of you guy know if you can get away with 2inch with 35 on need to get past rego change over to QLD
    Get away with them just fitting? Or passing a roadworthy? 35's will fit on a GU with standard suspension (just don't go flexing it up too much) so a 2" lift would be no dramas.
    However I believe that you would be hard pressed to get the 35's past ANY roadworthy guy with success.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure they will fit for on a GU, just and you might get lucky and get some schmuck who passes the roadworthy but have a crash with those 35's on.......
    No insurance no RWC and if the cops are called because of injuries, most likely charges. You can take that risk if you want, plenty do.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Sure they will fit for on a GU, just and you might get lucky and get some schmuck who passes the roadworthy but have a crash with those 35's on.......
    No insurance no RWC and if the cops are called because of injuries, most likely charges. You can take that risk if you want, plenty do.....

From what I can understand, only if they can prove that the 35s were the cause of the accident

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If it is (saying 'if' not 'will be') deemed culpable with 35's it will be the same way with 33's and a lift as well...
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    If it is (saying 'if' not 'will be') deemed culpable with 35's it will be the same way with 33's and a lift as well...
    33's and 2 inch lift are entirely legal in Victoria (as in most states) and you could never make that argument in the unfortunate event of a crash.

My understanding would be that because 35's are not legal under any circumstances your goose would be cooked as the vehicle is no longer roadworthy (or therefore registrable), regardless of what actually caused the accident.
    As a point of law I expect the lack of roadworthiness comes before the accident.

Honestly, I have no need to find out.

Last edited by Drewboyaus; 14th March 2015 at 08:01 PM.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your question no you would not be able to. My understanding of it is as soon as you are over 2" taller from factory, wether it be tyres,lift or both combined your car is no longer road worthy.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    snip...
    33's and 2 inch lift are entirely legal in Victoria (as in most states) and you could never make that argument in the unfortunate event of a crash.
    If the state of registration or the state in which you are operating the vehicle (which may or may not be most of them) but def NSW when I was there, WA and I believe QLD and I don't know about the rest... has adopted VSB 14 you cannot lift the vehicle a total of more than 50mm total by any individual or combination of modifications without certification.

I qoute specifically from the regulation... (my bold face)

Raising the height of the vehicle may be performed without certification providing the overall
    increase in vehicle height is not more than 50mm
    . This may be achieved as a single
    modification such as the installation of a 50mm lift kit, or by a combination of smaller lifts as
    described below:

the fitting of body blocks or lift kits (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting
    in a change of vehicle height are performed);

suspension modification, (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a
    change of vehicle height are performed);

changes to tyre size (maximum change in tyre size diameter of 50mm); or

a combination of the above that results in a change of vehicle height not exceeding
    50mm

If the accident investigation determines that the vehicle has been lifted a total of more than 50mm and is not certified under the regs and that is a contributory factor then you are in as much kaka as anyone else.

IF your mods are certified then no issue in the state of registration but I don't have any knowledge on whether you are still in trouble interstate. I would like to think you would be OK
    Last edited by the evil twin; 14th March 2015 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ET,
    From VicRoads, 50mm lift and 33's ok:

"13.3.1 Option 1
    This option allows a combination of suspension lift and the fitting of larger diameter tyres that results in a total lift of up to 75 mm without the need for the testing and certification normally required by VSB 14 for lifts above 50 mm provided the following requirements are met.

The vehicle's suspension may be raised by up to 50mm, provided that at least two thirds of the original suspension travel in either direction is retained.

Only commercially available suspension kits may be used. Such kits must be:

Manufactured and supplied by a Corporation;

Specifically designed and tested by the suspension lift kit manufacturer for the make/model/variant of the vehicle being modified to ensure no adverse effect on the modified vehicle's propensity for rollover, handling characteristics, braking performance and structural integrity when assessed at the combined suspension lift (up to 50mm) and tyre radius increase (up to 25mm), i.e. a total increase in ride height of up to 75mm; and

Fitted in accordance with the kit manufacturer's instructions, abiding by any conditions or limitations advised by the suspension kit manufacturer and include a written statement (to be retained by the vehicle owner) of the suitability of the suspension lift kit for

the make/model/variant of the vehicle being modified whether or not installed in combination with the permissible tyre diameter increase.

As per VSB14 Section LS, tyres up to 50mm larger in diameter than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer may be fitted provided:

The entire tyre cross section is covered by the vehicles bodywork in plan view with the front wheels in the straight ahead position; and

The tyres do not foul the bodywork or any suspension or steering component under any combination of suspension and steering movement."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast