Thread: Yet more issues...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet more issues...

Hey guys,

After a bit of a trouble free patch, I had a bit of a grinding rumble from front wheels, and noticed swivel hub was leaking.
    Got it all checked out and wheel bearings were on their way out (left front was pretty chewed).
    So, got swivel hubs overhauled, new front and rear wheel bearings.

After getting it back, bad steering shake, and an up/down vibration at 80km/h plus, both of which weren't there before the bearing and swivel hub work.
    There was slight steering shake, but definitely something I could live with, unlike now.

Question is, what could be causing it all? Drives fine under 80km/h.

Took it back and they said balance could be out, so balanced the wheels.

Still there...

Just FYI, 1998 GU 4500 Wagon.
    25000 (if that) kms on tyres (rotated and balanced every 10000)
    10000 (probably less) kms on suspension (all suspension)
    100 kms on new wheel bearings (front and rear) and overhauled swivel hubs

But like I said, issue has only appeared after last lot of work, so wheel bearings and swivel hub overhaul...

Getting very short on money and patience, even thinking of selling it because it seems to be never ending, and mostly when I've just dropped a heap of money on maintenance/replacements...

Any information is much appreciated.

Evo
    Cheers,

Evo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a shim for the kingpin bearings that could have been left out when being put back together. That shim has been known to effect wobble in the front end......

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    There's a shim for the kingpin bearings that could have been left out when being put back together. That shim has been known to effect wobble in the front end...... Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Leaving a shim out won't affect it as it'll pre load bearings more.

I'd take the locking caps off and re check bearing tension, maybe just need a nip up now they have seated.

Did you get an alignment done after the rebuild?
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jack it up and see if theres any play in the bearings, does it shudder under brakes??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    X3 with above posts... the first thing to check is the last thing that was touched so I'd check the bearing preloads before setting the Car on fire to get the insurance money
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The guys who did it said it was put back together with everything that came off (except for the replacement new components).
    As for bearings, I'm not sure how to check and/or adjust. And no, was told alignment wasn't needed...
    No shudder under brakes.
    Might try to jack up the front tomorrow and see if there's any play anywhere.
    At a steady 100km/h there's still the up/down thing, almost like a tyre has gone out of round, but all tyres have been checked and are good...
    It's just so frustrating because it seems every time I dump a heap of hard saved coin to get something fixed, I end up with some form of side effect issue that ends up haunting me for weeks to months before being found...

Evo
    Cheers,

Evo

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The guys who did it said it was put back together with everything that came off (except for the replacement new components).
    As for bearings, I'm not sure how to check and/or adjust. And no, was told alignment wasn't needed...
    No shudder under brakes.
    Might try to jack up the front tomorrow and see if there's any play anywhere.
    At a steady 100km/h there's still the up/down thing, almost like a tyre has gone out of round, but all tyres have been checked and are good...
    It's just so frustrating because it seems every time I dump a heap of hard saved coin to get something fixed, I end up with some form of side effect issue that ends up haunting me for weeks to months before being found...

Evo
    welcome to owning a 4wd.....................

mind you, if he (the guy who did the work) said everything went back together as before (but with new parts) I would be asking to explain how it never had the wobbles and now does......... after he has touched it

and if he says "oh thats the Nissan Wobbles" punch him in the nose and say - "thats for lying".......

I would also be looking for a new Mechanic - if everytime you take it to him it ends up costing way more than it needs..... something fishy in Denmark.........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcol View Post
    welcome to owning a 4wd.....................

mind you, if he (the guy who did the work) said everything went back together as before (but with new parts) I would be asking to explain how it never had the wobbles and now does......... after he has touched it

and if he says "oh thats the Nissan Wobbles" punch him in the nose and say - "thats for lying".......

I would also be looking for a new Mechanic - if everytime you take it to him it ends up costing way more than it needs..... something fishy in Denmark.........

I've had 4x4's in the past, but never having so many issues like this...

As for the work, the bearings and swivel overhaul were the only things this mechanic has done on the GU.

This is what makes me feel like getting rid of it, because no matter what I do, where I go, I have issues, and end up chasing them...

Evo
    Cheers,

Evo

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Only a minor isssue EVO, if you jack it up and find even a small amount of play by grabbing the wheel top and bottom take it back.
    If no play is found take it back anyway and request he check his work as the "problem" was not there before, be firm
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be the plan.

From my understanding, wheel bearings, swivel bearings, would cause steering shake, but what about the vertical vibration I'm getting at 100km/h?
    Still be related to the same components?
    Or would the new parts have caused a pre-existing issue to become more apparent?

Evo
    Cheers,

Evo

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast