Thread: Air box mods

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those cobra adaptors are made by Donaldson. Hitachi construction in Campbellfield are Donaldson agents.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hpd offer that 3 inch adapter ur chasing but not cheap, at 100 bucks.. id just go with the plastic one mudski posted with a link to..

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wont require that adaptor as I'll be tig welding a piece of Stainless about 50mm to the SS lid.
    Just remember I have a mate up Sapphire way that works in a big Tractor dealer ship, Ive
    emailed him regardind the rubber cobra 90. Nearly have all the bits sorted, saw that guy who wanted $150 for a few bits to convert the lid
    But its easier for me to cut a new lid, piece of cake to seal it.
    Its a lot of mucking around I hope the gains are worth while
    Last edited by threedogs; 11th March 2015 at 12:33 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks the goods, looking forward to reading your results.
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure if the out come will justify the expense, but it will look neater I hope
    thinking about wrapping the boost and intake pipes in a thermal reflective bandage.
    hoping that will keep gases going in cooler, even a little bit would help
    Last edited by threedogs; 11th March 2015 at 02:28 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I wont require that adaptor as I'll be tig welding a piece of Stainless about 50mm to the SS lid.
    Just remember I have a mate up Sapphire way that works in a big Tractor dealer ship, Ive
    emailed him regardind the rubber cobra 90. Nearly have all the bits sorted, saw that guy who wanted $150 for a few bits to convert the lid
    But its easier for me to cut a new lid, piece of cake to seal it.
    Its a lot of mucking around I hope the gains are worth while

The issue is the airbox itself, not the lid.. have you noticed when cleaning the filter that the majority of crap is concentrated right infront of the air box entry. If the airbox itself flowed well, the crap would be allround the filter.

IMHO, dont waste your time and money on a lid design. Put that towards an airbox that will actually perform.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

benno77gu (7th April 2015), threedogs (12th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=261800897797

Check that link John, what you are trying to do has been available for quite a few years in kit firm
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=261800897797

Check that link John, what you are trying to do has been available for quite a few years in kit firm

that link doesnt go anywhere Darren.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    The issue is the airbox itself, not the lid.. have you noticed when cleaning the filter that the majority of crap is concentrated right infront of the air box entry. If the airbox itself flowed well, the crap would be allround the filter.

IMHO, dont waste your time and money on a lid design. Put that towards an airbox that will actually perform.
    Not sure if that theory is correct, yes in a standard air box lid the dust particles will form in a area very noticeable to the eye, But I would also suggest this is due to the restriction from outlet, for example simple testing by blowing from a larger inlet to a smaller outlet will always concentrate the airflow into a airflow zone area which is what we see when looking at a standard airbox without mods, allow a similar sized out let to inlet for airflow and there will still be 'pressure points's' but less restricted that we see on a ZD airbox as standard, therefore should allow better breathing of air and more circulation around the air filter than what we see in a standard airbox, ie bigger inlet smaller outlet, same size inlet same outlet..or less restrictive outlet, I think you can see what I am trying to say.
    Last edited by SG1; 11th March 2015 at 08:28 PM.
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SG1 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (9th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    Not sure if that theory is correct, yes in a standard air box lid the dust particles will form in a area very noticeable to the eye, But I would also suggest this is due to the restriction from outlet, for example simple testing by blowing from a larger inlet to a smaller outlet will always concentrate the airflow into a airflow zone area which is what we see when looking at a standard airbox without mods, allow a similar sized out let to inlet for airflow and there will still be 'pressure points's' but less restricted that we see on a ZD airbox as standard, therefore should allow better breathing of air and more circulation around the air filter than what we see in a standard airbox, ie bigger inlet smaller outlet, same size inlet same outlet..or less restrictive outlet, I think you can see what I am trying to say.
    Yes mate, I do understand what you are saying, but I still stand by my comments (probably didnt word it so well), there are some good airbox setups on the market that will way out perform the zd30 configuration, modified or not.

Cheers
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast