Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof top tent

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof top tent

So SWMBO and I are looking into camping with the 3 kids a bit more, whilst some will be in caravan parks I really want to get to some more remote locations and actually see this beautiful country, so knowing that towing a camper trailer is not always possible or sometimes easier not to I have started looking at roof top tents, found some that look and have room for us and the 3 kids, however my question is, is it possible to get a set up tent + anex and awning and still be able to use some of the roof rack, or will this idea mean pulling out the angle grinder, mig and customizing it completley? is anyone willing to show pics of their set ups? Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some rooftop tents take up the whole roof & fold out giving an awning/annexe. These are self supporting. Some fold out the bed area & require the ladder to remain in situ to hold half the tent up. There are a few types with the supporting ladder which also have annexes, but the ladder remains in the middle of the annexe.

The one I have can be left up during the day with the ladder removed. I would suggest this type for 5 of you as the kids would have plenty of room to sleep in the annexe & enough room to get out of the weather on the occasions it turns foul.

These pics are taken off the ’net as we don’t have any with all the annexe walls set up - because we’ve never bothered.

If you’re on Facebook - plenty more pics - https://www.facebook.com/shippshaperooftoptents

Features we appreciate in the design are:
    Shade & shelter without need for poles - Two poles only if awning or annexe is put up. Annexe zips onto the awning. The awning is the tent’s cover when packed, no need to store a separate cover. If repairs are ever needed, the cover is easily removable from the rest of the tent. Sit’s lower on the roof when packed up than many. With the design the ‘doors’ to the tent can remain open in even the worst weather ensuring plenty of airflow. Newer versions due for release soon also have a heavy vinyl floor. I think it will velcro into place. We did consider a similar design but with a sewn in groundsheet, but it didn’t allow for the larger annexe & was less flexible in how you could set it up. We felt it would be easy enough to put a tarp or matting down if required .... but we never have never bothered with more than a couple of foam mats at the bottom of the ladder.

The shippshape’s aren’t cheap, but they are quality & will last, ( ours is about 12 years old) plus hold their value if looked after. If you look at getting a second hand one expect to pay around $2k to $3K. They have been off the market for a while but their second hand market has continued. New ones are now available to order & with the full annexe & all the bells & whistles will set you back around $5k
    We paid $2 ½K (with the full annexe) but then turfed the knackered foam mattress & replaced it with a single sided made to measure inner spring one for another $600. Very comfy.

Video of ours set up for the first time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 5th March 2015 at 11:02 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dave97 (6th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just another option to look at other than a rooftop tent. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=26233

We were in the same sort of situation, wanted something that was quick and easy to setup, and also needing something that was big enough to sleep the 5 of us comfortably. Thought about a rooftop tent but didn't want to have to pack it all up if we decided to go for a drive and didn't really want anything that was going to be pretty much permanently installed on the roof.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

dave97 (6th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Just another option to look at other than a rooftop tent. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=26233

Thought about a rooftop tent but didn't want to have to pack it all up if we decided to go for a drive and didn't really want anything that was going to be pretty much permanently installed on the roof.
    How are they mounted? Is it possible to fabricate a frame work to take the weight and drive out from underneath it? Or will accessing the side that's folded out be too hard to get to?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure how your wife will feel climbing down a ladder in the midddle of the night.
    I dread the thought. There are plenty of easy to erect pyramid style tents, and geo type that the kids can share
    The lot packing up to bugger all compared to a rooftop which makes you top heavy and not very fuel freindly.
    just saying as travelling as light as you can puts less stress on the vehicle
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a steel one and chopped it up so I still had room for storage at the front,kids sleep in rooftop Mrs and myself in the awening annex.....try and pack ther kids bedding and pillows,Pj's and some other clothes in the rooftop before you head out,this is how we save a bit of room in the car.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    also I might add it takes about 5 min to set a tent up and probably less than 10 min to pack up,it does suck if you want to go for a night drive or and early morning fish..but that's about the only time,we try and park close to thwe beach so I can just walk.
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave97 View Post
    How are they mounted?
    By pegs........

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry should have been clearer, i was actually meaning how are the roof top tents mounted? Do they an independent frame work or are they just resting on top of the roof with no support underneath. i have looked at tents found an oztrail i didn't mind but don't think porta cots would work well in them and they are just a pain to set up and pack up and getting them back in the original back is mission impossible most of the time
    Last edited by dave97; 6th March 2015 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wa 489 View Post
    if you want to go for a night drive or and early morning fish..but that's about the only time,we try and park close to thwe beach so I can just walk.
    A few more thoughts.

Yep, there really are no ‘perfect solutions’. We loved the comfort, convenience & flexibility of our bus towing two trail bikes behind. But when the fishing spot was several kilometres from the camp spot over soft sandy tracks we just didn’t go fishing, & when touring Australia off road distances from camp are often greater than the fuel range of the bikes. With a 4wd & rooftop tent we can camp at the fishing spot, but need to think ahead with regard to provisions. Having to pack up to go to the shops or just to explore & then return is a bit of a pain.

A separate tent or camper trailer overcomes having to pack everything up if needing to go for a drive, but either means towing or more set up/pack up time or both. (I’ve seen folk take 3 hours to pack up their bells & whistles camper trailer - ok if going to one spot to stay, but useless for touring. There is a lot to be said for a ‘permanent’ bed compared to having to set up bedding as well as a tent (regardless of whether it is a ground or trailer tent). Same with the number of poles & pegs. At one time we had a great Southern Cross ‘pyramid’ type tent. It was very quick to put up - we even called it a ‘marriage saver’. 4 pegs & a centre pole & it was up, but when you add the additonal time to for pulling it in & out of the vehicle, setting it up/down, getting the bedding out & making the beds etc the time taken was a lot more than with our RTT. Sleeping on the ground loses it’s appeal the older you get. Which compromise will suit really depends upon your use & how you intend to travel & for how long. For travel where set up is regular over a long period of time every extra minute between stopping to being sat down relaxing becomes a tiresome chore. The shorter the time period of travel or the lower the frequency of needing to set up the easier it is to accept longer set up/pack up times.

Our compromise now, with the Tvan, is limited headroom in the ‘bedroom’, & needing to tow. It does however mean overnight set ups of between 1 & 5 minutes, (20 to 30 minutes for longer term camps), a permanent comfy bed, not needing to pack up everything to go for a drive, & the ability to get to that fishing spot. I’d love one of those new 4wd Iveco’s with a Scrubmaster camper body on it, or an OKA based motorhome, but they are beyond our budget. Always bleedin’ compromises!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast