User Tag List

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable butane stoves recalled in NSW

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be careful and use up the cylinders I have, then dispose of the stove. There is no other way to safely dispose of the canisters of gas.

I've got my eye on one of the dual fuel jobbies as a replacement.
    Last edited by Agronaught; 6th March 2015 at 06:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liftlid View Post
    Careful you don't fall off that high horse!
    Re-reading what I wrote I can see why you (& others) would see it like that. It was not my intent to cast judgement upon anyone, nor to tell anyone what to do. I was saying what I think, & I was hoping that by doing so it might bring some balance to the responses to news of the ban. I felt that many of the responses simply were about railing against authority or trying to find ways around the ban with the inference (unintended or otherwise) being that these cookers are safe. It seems that instead I have just drawn fire. I guess I could have worded it better. I regret if I have offended anyone, but I also expect to be able to share my views in the face of disagreement without responses to me becoming ‘personal’. Having differences makes us interesting, but not when the man is played instead of the ball. The safety of these stoves has been a bit of a hobby horse of mine for several years & I do feel that that they should have been banned long ago. I’m sure it wouldn’t be that difficult for them to be re-designed so that they remain both affordable, lightweight, & safe for all users.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

TPC (6th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues here cuppa. My only concern is doing something with the cylinders I have as leaving then to rust, or ditching them in the trash, are simply not an option.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Know wonder they are faulty and explode, there made overseas!!!

I know what I'll be doing on the weekend with all my butane bottles

So my question is...........are the butane canisters faulty or are the cookers faulty? and just like BBQ's if they are maintained and looked after would there be less explosions?

Wonder what the stats would be on gas BBQ bottles exploded VS Butane Cookers.

Farken hell, the people in power might have to ban the good old aussie BBQ all together just 2 be on the safe side and we will have 2 revert back to more open fire cooking, Oh no hang on a sec that's banned half the time 2 for fear some idiot will start a bush fire.
    On the ones I've thrown away becaused they leaked gas, was because others Ive taken camping have forced the lever
    to engage the cannister, This pushes the back panel out of whack and requires it to be bent back in shape or a piece
    of bark inserted to keep the can up hard against the "O" ring, They have a lot of built in safety devices just to get them to
    work, The double one with a hot plate would give me reason to be worried, Two singles that are not on the list would be better IMO.
    Just be gentle with them cause if the cannister is not in the right position to lock it in place and you force it, throw it away
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th March 2015 at 07:20 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    On the ones I've thrown away becaused they leaked gas, was because others Ive taken camping have forced the lever
    to engage the cannister, This pushes the back panel out of whack and requires it to be bent back in shape or a piece
    of bark inserted to keep the can up hard against the "O" ring, They have a lot of built in safety devices just to get them to
    work, The double one with a hot plate would give me reason to be worried, Two singles that are not on the list would be better IMO.
    Just be gentle with them cause if the cannister is not in the right position to lock it in place and you force it, throw it away
    I've got a double with the hot plate. Will have a good look at it during the weekend

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Will be interested in what you think I have no idea why Aldi recalled their double burner ones.
    At least now you know what to look for, no more shoving a bit of wood behind the cannister
    to keep it in contact
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have joked around about this topic but I agree that it is just not worth the risk using these.
    Is it really worth risking your life to save a few dollars.
    I rarely used mine as most of the time i would have the camper with a stove or in winter I usually use a campfire for cooking.
    I will investigate other quick and easy cookers.

Now the rest of you do as your bloody well told and throw them away.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess I'll collect all your no good gas cans you can't use...

Over the thousands sold over many years, why has it taken this long to come up with a problem?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I have a two burner coleman with a bottle, works fine but heavy and bulky, I bought one of the cheapies a while back to save weight and space, used it a bunch of times with no problems, but perhaps now I'll go back to using the good one, shame since the cheap one works and packs well. I have not personally seen one on fire yet, but maybe that's just been luck.....
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agronaught View Post
    No issues here cuppa. My only concern is doing something with the cylinders I have as leaving then to rust, or ditching them in the trash, are simply not an option.
    Putting them on a fence post at a suitable distance for rifle, slug gun, slingshot or archery practice might be a fun way of emptying them prior to putting them in the trash.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast