Thread: 3" Exhaust - Dump Pipe and Cat only

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3" Exhaust - Dump Pipe and Cat only

I wanted to throw up an idea that someone put to me to see what you guys think of and if it has good merits
    I'm in the process of getting gauges fitted and because I don't have the tools or facilities to do it myself, I am getting a local mechanic to fit both EGT and Boost gauges for me

In order to fit the EGT gauge, we obviously have to get the heat shield off, remove the dump pipe, drill it and weld a boss to it and re-fit it in the car plus remount the heatshield.
    Because I'm aiming to upgrade my exhaust within too long but don't really have the $$$ to do it properly at this stage, it seems to me there is a lot of wasted $$$ in this process

The mechanic has suggested to me that if I simply replace the dump pipe and the Cat with a 3" and a high-flow Cat and adapt it to the rest of the exhaust.
    That way, I get a dump pipe that already has the EGT bung and if I want to go for a full end-to-end 3" system, I only have to replace the two rear sections.
    He quoted me $500 to supply and fit a Redback 3" dump pipe, Highflow Cat and fit the EGT gauge. He also told me that by keeping the original dump pipe, drilling it and welding would probably come to the same price.

He told me he has done this on a few cars already and the reports have been that you actually get the bulk of the benefits of a larger exhaust this way

Are there merits to this approach? Does anyone have first hand experience with a staged exhaust replacement like this?
    2009 ZD30-CRD Patrol ST Wagon. Bullbar, IPF Spotties, Snorkel, BFG285/70R70, 2" OME Lift, Rear Drawers, UHF, Scangauge, VDO Boost and EGT Gauges in an A-Pillar Pod, More bits

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump ........
    Any of you ladies tried this or have an opinion on it?
    2009 ZD30-CRD Patrol ST Wagon. Bullbar, IPF Spotties, Snorkel, BFG285/70R70, 2" OME Lift, Rear Drawers, UHF, Scangauge, VDO Boost and EGT Gauges in an A-Pillar Pod, More bits

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to me it makes sense. Just make sure they modify the stock system to the dump pipe and not the dump to the stock.

And once that's done mate the rest of the exhaust from dump back is a simple driveway install with a couple of spanner.

So yea do it I say and save install costs for the rest of the system
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure they use the dump pipe from the system you wish to install later too as I'd say different companies systems are slightly different in flange positions
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Westy, do you reckon the guy is right in his opinion that the main restriction in the stock system is the dump pipe and the Cat?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes mate, it's a standard 3" Redback part.
    The mech said he would weld a flange on front of the original pipe to mate with the new bit

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few manufacturers who runs 3" dump and then reduce to a 2.75 or 2.5" pipe. There theory is the air condenses as it cools so the need for a bigger complete system is void. But not sure how true that is. Sounds like the bloke has his head screwed on so yea id go with it and then when funds permit buy the rest of the kit. As for the cat. Yea the restrict it a bit but I'm pretty sure there a legal piece now. Heaps of blokes don't run them though. The upgraded ones are a higher flow than stock so if I was running a cat is forget the mufflers.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I will have that open to me. Reckon I can decide whether to have a muffler or not later on when I replace the aft pieces
    I might go and see him tomorrow morning and ask him to order the bits for me. I'm waiting for the A Pillar Pod to arrive anyway so this whole thing will probably be done next week sometime

10. The Following User Says Thank You to apalsson For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th February 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a heck of a lot have happened about my new dump pipe and the gauges.
    I had collected all the bits including VDO gauges, a boost gauge adaptor, Redback 3" dump pipe and finally an A-pillar pod (which I had to go to hell and back getting posted after I paid for it).
    I had booked the car in on Thursday 2 weeks ago but on the Tuesday before that went into see my Cardiologist for a quick checkup which is where it all went to shit.
    I got flown to Sydney for an urgent triple-bypass operation and now I'm moping at home and won't even be allowed to drive for 6 weeks.

Guess the upshot is that without that operation, my lifetime expectancy might have been quite short but moping at home and not be allowed to do basically anything sucks!
    Patience Garfield, Patience .....
    Last edited by apalsson; 10th March 2015 at 03:33 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to apalsson For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (31st March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    good to see you're OK the truck can wait get your health back to where you want to be to enjoy life again.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast