Thread: Does 2T have a placebo effect?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes mate you are correct.

From my understanding most use a ratio of 200:1 so basically 1/2 a litre to a 90 litre tank that patrols have.

I had put it in before filling so it mixes with the fresh fuel.
    Cheers
    Macca

2. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (17th March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol-Guy View Post
    Well I've been reading about adding this 2T. And I think I have the general gist of what you're all talking about but just let me ask this so I'm clear about what to do so I dont bugger things up, so you are saying to add like 500mil of Castrol Activ 2T Motorcycle Oil http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations straight to the fuel tank before filling up. And this may or may not improve the running of the motor?

From what I've read here and elsewhere Any 2 stroke will work just make sure its mineral as it will mix with the fuel better than a semi or full synthetic and that it meets the specs of jaso-fc (low ash for catalytic converters )

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

macca (18th March 2015), Patrol-Guy (18th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Went down to Brisvagas yesterday and back-- about 600klm round trip. Filled up at Gympie on way home and added just under 1 lt Castrol T2 between the 2 tanks as was almost empty. Took 159lts. It is 141.4klm from Puma servo to my place and I could NOT notice ANY difference in performance, smoothness or noise. Just started up again from cold to see if any difference but again could not notice and change. Going up to Broadwater Haven near Baffle Creek next weekend so will check fuel economy when I get back from that trip. Fuel economy of trip to Brisvagas and back to Gympie was 13.21lt/ 100k which was almost 1 lt/ 100k better than previous trip after new air filter fitted. Cheap economy these air filters.
    In future, will only use Diesel Power or similar every so often to keep system clean and bug free---unless the 2 stroke improves fuel economy greatly.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a yarn to an old hand who repairs diesel pumps / injectors on Monday.

This bloke has been working on fuel systems for so long almost everyone who lives around here that owns an old or new diesel knows his name if not being a customer of his.

Mine is not starting as quickly as it used to so dropped in to get his advice. It was better today, ( fitted another negative from the battery direct to the engine last night and it was faster starting today, also added DieselPower to the Vortex Monday)

First up he said add 1:1000 automatic transmission fluid (ATF), he said some long chemical name with lead in it.
    My response was that was going back to old type fuel! He replied with a smile.
    It lubricates and cleans the parts that the sulphur deleted pump fuel no longer does, plus has a small power boost.

He then said BP Ultimate was the best fuel at the moment, better than the Caltex Vortex I have been using.
    Odd that he said that as our local BP had a big promotional banner out the front, saw it that morning and also a huge billboard extolling the virtues about cleaning a system in 2 tank fill's on the highway to his place.
    Advertising budgets aside he said it was the better fuel.

Idling you engine is not a good thing, sure warm it up but not for a long time and throw your turbo timer out. He said glazing from excessive idling was not good for an engine.

And finally I asked about adding 2T, he is a basic down to earth bloke... he said save your money (to buy ATF). It does nothing, quite sure about that he was too.

Now that is probably a bit of a wind up for a few here, not my intention just passing on information given to me by an old school expert.

So after putting a couple of tanks using BP and ATF he said call back in and see where we are up to.
    Last edited by macca; 8th September 2016 at 02:13 PM.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

So after putting a couple of tanks using BP and ATF he said call back in and see where we are up to.
    I will look forward to you reporting back Macca. In the time it’ll take me to use up the rest of the 2T I have you should have plenty of time to evaluate Ultimate & ATF. Will you try each separately?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I will look forward to you reporting back Macca. In the time it’ll take me to use up the rest of the 2T I have you should have plenty of time to evaluate Ultimate & ATF. Will you try each separately?
    I have used 2T in the past and didn't notice any difference at all in this car or the 3.0ltr TD Hilux I had before it.

Engine Noise, smoothness of running, fuel economy all seemed to be the same. Only thing I did notice was the increase in the cost of what went into the tank!

So gave the idea away, be interesting to see what this BP / ATF does. I will report back.
    Cheers
    Macca

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ATF sounds scary to me.
    Which one?
    Whale Oil?
    Jojoba?
    Synthetic?
    It is not made to be burnt.
    Graham

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be hesitant to use it also. Wonder how long till it clogs up a cat

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2t makes a helluva difference to the pig. Quieter,less smokey and easier cold starts. Keen to hear of trials with the others!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast