Thread: Does 2T have a placebo effect?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does 2T have a placebo effect?

I spoke to the bloke who tuned my engine today, its been 2 months and gave him some feedback about how well their work has panned out. He was happy to hear that and will pass my compliment on to his team.

While I had him on the phone I asked about additives, in particular adding Castrol 2T at 200:1. I know a lot of you swear by this and from what I understand it is across all the diesel engines.

His reply was why would you want to do that? I couldn't really answer him with any authority except to say forums, this and others, say it is to improves economy, help lubricate the pump and quietens the engine.

Something about our fuel having less sulphur or something like that.

He said he see's all diesels in all conditions through their shop and heard all the stories, his advice was save your money because it makes absolutely no difference.

He did say 2 new pumps, one with additive the other without and run the same for 300000klm when stripped down would be interesting to see, but doubts there would be any noticeable difference.

I have been adding 2T for a few months now but will stop using it as it's damn expensive, especially when it does nothing in my experience. It adds about 5 cents per litre, I know I buy at the servo offering that price difference if the options there.

Interesting conversation I thought.

Be interested in your comments.
    Cheers
    Macca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll be interested to hear what you think when you stop using it. It definitely made my car nicer to drive & I haven’t been tempted to stop using it. With $80 worth of Castrol 2T bought on special sitting in the shed it’ll be a while before I might feel the need to reconsider. At least your chap didn’t suggest that it might do damage. .

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a copy of what I posted on another thread.
    I have been watching several threads about additives and trying a few myself. I have been adding Castrol T2 since the start of the year with the following results.

LTR Kms L/100Km

55.23 420.4 13.14
    39.21 300.9 13.03
    53.78 412.6 13.03
    27.4 211.7 12.94
    32.31 276.2 11.70
    39.18 302.1 12.97
    36.98 287.0 12.89
    37.69 301.8 12.49
    51.56 401.4 12.85
    39.63 318.6 12.44

Looks like a very small improvement. Engine is quieter and also quieter since I have been providing my own oil instead of what the dealer used.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa I only started using it again after a year or two not when you put that Repco special up last December, I really have seen no difference BUT I have had the tune up in early January.

I went to Vic for Xmas, bought some down there for the run home and honestly can not notice any change, used it every fill since. Be interesting to see if any change is noticeable as you suggest.

4by4 that looks like 1/2 a litre per hundred better?
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 4,714 Times in 2,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see NO improvement in fuel consumption But it is a lot quieter when i use it, i usually buy any brand as long as its cheap, works with any 2 stoke mineral oil does not have to be castrol.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

macca (3rd March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    i see NO improvement in fuel consumption But it is a lot quieter when i use it, i usually buy any brand as long as its cheap, works with any 2 stoke mineral oil does not have to be castrol.
    Ah the smell of Castrol R it would be worth using it just for that
    Cheers
    Macca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Stropp (3rd March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Cuppa I only started using it again after a year or two not when you put that Repco special up last December, I really have seen no difference BUT I have had the tune up in early January.

I went to Vic for Xmas, bought some down there for the run home and honestly can not notice any change, used it every fill since. Be interesting to see if any change is noticeable as you suggest.

4by4 that looks like 1/2 a litre per hundred better?
    Yea Macca but its not consistant. If you take the best and worst figures it looks good, but if you look at it as an average, I was getting around the 13.1 and am now getting 12.8, which is not a lot of difference. Thats why I am consinuing to check it as there have been different conditions, longer shorter tripa, air con on or off and even my temprement, as to how much boot I'm putting in. I have it set up on excel and just keep plugging the figures in.
    your mechanic said there mabey a placebo effect and it could be that I can get a 1/2 liter per hundred if I want it to work and watch the foot.
    In other word I still don't know but will keep watching it. The quietening of of the engine is real though and both the T2 and using Penrite mad a significant difference.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

macca (3rd March 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,308 Times in 6,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been on it since January. I don't think there was much in the consumption side, but like others have said it has made the engine quieter. But I think the acceleration might be a tad smoother too, but this might be the placebo affect taking place. I have nearly run out of 2ts, so I will try for awhile without to see.
    Last edited by mudski; 3rd March 2015 at 08:21 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

macca (3rd March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I believe it made my engine quieter and it feels smoother under foot.
    as for fuel savings I doubt it too many ifs, A bit like chicken soup
    not doing any harm and not doing any good either,
    but Ill continue to use it every other tankfull
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

15. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

macca (3rd March 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be cool to do a test... Maybe a taxi that has 4 vehicles. 2 Di, and 2 CRD. One of each would be run with 2t, and the other without.

Taxis chosen because they can rack up heaps of kms per year.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

macca (3rd March 2015)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast