Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Air Bag

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have seen heaps of guys fail with these simply because they were not putting enough weight on the hose. You dont really need to rev the car but you do need to push the funnel onto your exhaust tip really really hard. If it is still not inflating push harder.

They work a treat.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgm View Post
    Finally had a go at trying this yesterday and FAILED!

The quality looks fine from what I can see and I'm happy enough, but I had two issues:

1. The exhaust has had a chrome tip put on it and it leaked back around the join when I tried to use it, so it just wouldn't inflate (this was the main issue)
    2. I decided to try it under the drivers side and from the exhaust coming out the rear left you can't see what's going on if you are doing it on your own

I'll take off the chrome tip and throw it away (I often hit it anyway, so should get rid of it). But I never thought about the visibility issues. Just gonna have to do it a bit at a time and check on it I guess. I probably will get a piece of carpet or maybe mudflap to have around incase I want a bit more padding than bit of stuff provided.

Would encourage anyone to test it before you need it if you do get one of these.

Attachment 55669

Edit: Sorry guys, somehow ended up in the wrong thread
    count me out my pipe is 2 big for that
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin07 View Post
    Your pipe is plenty small enough. I have a 3" pipe on both my patrols and it works great.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin07 View Post

The engine on the Y62 might blow it up and burst it before you get to think about it.
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a day off tomorrow (technically today already). I'll take the end of the exhaust off and try again. I'll also check for and try the compressor fitting. Can't say I noticed it but the website mentions it. Nice to know if both options are feasible. The compressor connector would sort the visibility issues, but would assume it to be a bit slower. Will report my findings.
    Thanks, Cameron

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgm View Post
    snip... I'll also check for and try the compressor fitting. Can't say I noticed it but the website mentions it. Nice to know if both options are feasible. The compressor connector would sort the visibility issues, but would assume it to be a bit slower. Will report my findings.
    It is.
    Depending on the compressor depends on by how much... but... your not going anywhere
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to carry extra carpet - just use your floor mats. You should make sure you have used and are familiar with every bit of recovery gear you have. It's easy to lay it all out on your front lawn on a nice day and work out how it all functions - as opposed to steep hill, raining, muddy, dark, panic time, bits missing!?! etc.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

cgm (4th March 2015), DX grunt (4th March 2015), MudRunnerTD (4th March 2015), threedogs (4th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    No need to carry extra carpet - just use your floor mats. You should make sure you have used and are familiar with every bit of recovery gear you have. It's easy to lay it all out on your front lawn on a nice day and work out how it all functions - as opposed to steep hill, raining, muddy, dark, panic time, bits missing!?! etc.
    Floor mat. Seems so obvious now you've said it, but I would never have thought of it lol
    Thanks, Cameron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cgm For This Useful Post:

Winnie (4th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so took the chrome tip off the exhaust and had another go. Pleased to say all worked as expected and I'm very happy with it. Especially for $85 delivered. I initially didn't notice the second valve with a standard tyre valve on it to use the compressor (it was wrapped in some supplied gloves in a small plastic bag). Don't see any obvious need for the compressor option, it worked fine off the exhaust, but it is another option if the need arises (blown hole in the muffler or something?). Visibility wasn't much of an issue, I just checked the placement a couple of times (and did move it after it started inflating to position it better).

Lifted the whole side of the care without issue. Looks a bit scary, must be made of good stuff. In any case you should never be under the vehicle, but with this thing I'd still be even more careful and thinking how far things would fall if it did let go.

Overall, really happy with my purchase, but also glad that I took the time to test and be ready for it if needed.

Not happy with the bright orange bag - ha ha It is still a bit bulky and will attract attention to the back of the car. Wonder what I could sensibly use to dye it a darker colour?

20150304_122638.jpg 20150304_122654.jpg
    20150304_122711.jpg 20150304_122936.jpg
    20150304_122725.jpg
    Last edited by cgm; 4th March 2015 at 01:49 PM.
    Thanks, Cameron

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How easy was it to fit back into it’s bag after being inflated for the first time?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast