Thread: Exhaust and IC Combos !!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An ECU remap seems to be the go for the CRD's now. What did that throw you back? If you don't mind telling....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was quoted about $1700 but along with the exhaust it cost $3000. There is a bit of labour involved as the ECU has to be taken out, opened and then flashed. Cannot change Nissans fuel maps via the OBD2 port.
    Good thing about that is that no one is going to over write it. Its expensive but so are the good chips like Steinbauer ($1700) or Unichip ($2100).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th March 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    I was quoted about $1700 but along with the exhaust it cost $3000. There is a bit of labour involved as the ECU has to be taken out, opened and then flashed. Cannot change Nissans fuel maps via the OBD2 port.
    Good thing about that is that no one is going to over write it. Its expensive but so are the good chips like Steinbauer ($1700) or Unichip ($2100).
    Holy moses! I hope it was worth it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good price but also by the sounds of it, some good products and most importantly as long as your happy with the results, I also would of loved a C/C intercooler and think there is some benefits in it along with some of the better priced brands, probably more to do with slow 4wdriving or slow towing ect under load when not much air is being pushed into the scoop and the fan can come on and help cool the intercooler and air, heat soak. I have a cheaper I/C welded and while it does the job I have also wondered what more benefits would be had with a C/C or HPD intercoolers and if the gains versus the outlay would be worth it, probably not for me atm as the one we have is working and not leaking but if I was to do it again I would really consider putting a a lot more thought and possibly $'s into it.
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I wouldn't go past a beudesert ex as for any 3" pipe your asking for headaches any tigged I/c will suffice and steinbauer fitted $1400 and the scoop 1 on ebay for $140 does the job dropped my egts
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys, whats this cheaper scoop? Can someone post a link please?
    2008 GU ST Bog stock and no smoking barrels!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    your temps has a lot to do with where your ET bung is.
    IMO I think a CC is way over priced for the CRD and the Di, Fan jury is still out, n/r
    everyone keeps forgetting its only a 3ltr yes you can make it more efficient
    but to turn it into a rocket,, tell them they're dreaming, be happy that you can blow away
    Prados and LUXs, Mudski and a few others have gone about as far as they can.
    You should be looking for torque IMO not HP or buy a TD4.2 lol

2TROLLFAM just got flashed and is very impressed lol.
    its been a while so now would be a great time for undate on results
    Last edited by threedogs; 19th March 2015 at 01:57 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

10. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

clawrence (19th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the remap worth it? Same could be asked about a chip. I think people feel they are getting something when they receive hardware but cant see the value in software. I work in IT so see this all the time. The remap alters timing (start & end) and alters torque limiters so should work better than chip and safer. I have not tried chip so cant personally compare.

The real question is should the 3.0 litre be chipped / remapped or left standard as 3D suggests. Mine has a lot more power between 2-3000rpm but I am also cautious in using it. Egt seems same as other peoples crd motors. When towing it will go up hills in 4th whereas I needed 3rd before remap. Should I be driving like this or in a more conservative fashion. If I don't use the power then it is not worth it. If I use the power then it is worth it. I am still experimenting and learning how the car drives now so I can safely get the most from it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th March 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    Is the remap worth it? Same could be asked about a chip. I think people feel they are getting something when they receive hardware but cant see the value in software. I work in IT so see this all the time. The remap alters timing (start & end) and alters torque limiters so should work better than chip and safer. I have not tried chip so cant personally compare.

The real question is should the 3.0 litre be chipped / remapped or left standard as 3D suggests. Mine has a lot more power between 2-3000rpm but I am also cautious in using it. Egt seems same as other peoples crd motors. When towing it will go up hills in 4th whereas I needed 3rd before remap. Should I be driving like this or in a more conservative fashion. If I don't use the power then it is not worth it. If I use the power then it is worth it. I am still experimenting and learning how the car drives now so I can safely get the most from it.
    As long as your happy mate, that's all that matters... I don't for one minute doubt on what the remapping can do and what's involved. I just didn't know of the cost of remapping.
    As it's very new tech, we will more than likely see remapping happening more and hopefully become cheaper in the future.
    As for your comment on if a 3ltr should be chipped. Bloody oath! Or remapped. These little motors need every help they can get. It would be great to see a side by side comparo on a remap vs a chip, different branded chips too.
    @TD. I have a few more things I could do to my chitter, whether it's worth it, is another thing. ..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudski, sorry if I sounded touchy but it is hard for people to get their heads around paying just for software rather than a physical device.

The cost of a remap on the Patrol would be broken down in the following way:
    1. Labour to remove ECU, open it, cross the pins to allow it to be remapped, remap and tinker, close it and reinstall in the Patrol.
    2. Tuner to pay off the licensing fee and maps/hardware purchased to remap (have heard around $20000 but not sure)
    3. Fat profit!!!

The fat profit on it's own might not be too bad and would be what most people would think an ECU remap is worth but there are the other aspects.

If a car can be directly remapped via the port then it should be cheaper and also include real time tuning on a dyno. If more people are doing it then it will get cheaper but there is a limit as if you use the maps and software from a reputable company that has researched what it does they will want their costs recouped. For instance, I asked the tuner if he could switch off the EGR or at least the P0401 error but he said that the software would not allow it as they pay a licence fee to Nissan to get the base code and part of the deal is not to tinker with certain things. He also said that the software wont allow him to exceed certain parameters that are considered unsafe by Nissan.

I don't know if someone could crack the code and tinker on their own but would you really trust someone doing that? Most places are getting their maps and software from Europe which has been doing this for a while so there has been some research/experience into remapping diesels even if it is new over here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast