Thread: Oil cooler adaptor

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oil cooler adaptor

Hi is anyone using one of these sandwich style adaptor plates on their Patrol.
    Looks like and easy way to fit up an oil cooler and also an oil pressure/temp gauge

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M20-1-5-a...72487259&rt=nc
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Hi is anyone using one of these sandwich style adaptor plates on their Patrol.
    Looks like and easy way to fit up an oil cooler and also an oil pressure/temp gauge

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M20-1-5-a...72487259&rt=nc
    TD I would be very cautious with these things. I haven't used them on my Patrol but we have seen them fitted to stationary motors we work on. Lots of leaks and cracked fittings. Danger is that they are under pressure from the oil pump and if it does fail it can pump the oil out of the motor really quickly. Bit of a red light or notice the oil pressure guage go down, 1 to 2 seconds then bang situstion.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey TD,

Yes,
    I have been using this type of adaptor on my 4.2 for about a year now. Towards the end of last year we did a trip through north/west Queensland and around Northern Territory, about 8000km in four weeks. Still fixing rattles and tightening nut/bolts as we only travelled about 1000km on tar, but no oil leaks from the sandwich adaptor after this test on corrugations. Clutch was another story though..............

I have the oil Temp and oil Press probes affixed to the adaptor for my pillar (duel) gauge. Fitting oil filter with the adapter on was not any harder from memory with the slightly decreased gap.

Would be happy to recommend this type of adaptor, but not sure of the quality you’re looking at. At work so cannot tell you who I got mine off, but can look tonight if interested.
    Cheers
    2006 GUIV DX 4.2 TDI Ute, Bullbar with Warn winch, Narva round spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, 2 x Narva spotties an 80W solor panel on roof, Custom tray, 3" Redback exhaust, Bluemax 2 - EGT/Boost Oil press/Temp and dual volt gauges, Lifted, front locked and fully loaded......
    If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wow one says yes one says no. Im interested in any info you have HY.
    Just looks so easy to fit an oil cooler if needed place a great spot for some gauges
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EARLS-OIL...item27bd7e4123
    Last edited by threedogs; 24th February 2015 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looks so easy to fit an oil cooler if needed place a great spot for some gauges
    Hmmmm, 4bye4 is a Guru, where as I'm but an expert and yet you are a God - Who to believe???

Will get some more info on my one tonight TD, post tomorrow mate.
    2006 GUIV DX 4.2 TDI Ute, Bullbar with Warn winch, Narva round spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, 2 x Narva spotties an 80W solor panel on roof, Custom tray, 3" Redback exhaust, Bluemax 2 - EGT/Boost Oil press/Temp and dual volt gauges, Lifted, front locked and fully loaded......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    fair comment. I guess I should say that the ones we have seen leaking are the cheapest one that the customer can get. They seem to run on the net from $17.00 to over $100.00. Possibily it depends on what quality you get. If yuou are getting one over the net, make sure it is well machined, ie some of the ones we have seen are just not flat on the faces, and have a decent "O" ring seal. again if the adaptor itself warps or is not falat it will leak past the "O" ring seal. Hardyards i guess if you gat a decent quality one there is no reason why it should leak.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Hardyards (24th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think that Earles one if it fits would be higher quality like you said,
    Can you use these to change the position of the filter so its easier to change,
    or does the filter need to be horizontal??
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-FILTE...item43d4cbf67c
    Last edited by threedogs; 24th February 2015 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyards View Post
    Hmmmm, 4bye4 is a Guru, where as I'm but an expert and yet you are a God - Who to believe???
    Thats just done on a post count mate. Also the ones I have had issues with were not on Patrols but on stationary motors. I believe in God.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Hardyards (24th February 2015), threedogs (24th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey TD,
    You will have to forgive my woeful bookkeeping skills, I’m unable to locate the business I brought this adapter off so will have to ask the wife tonight (she was on night shift last night) but have taken some pictures to show you the clearance once fitted. The black ring around the fittings is a small amount of sealant I applied upon assembly. There was no rag spanner application before photo taken (no leaks seen from underneath, 4bye4 scared me )

oil sand 1.jpg oil sand 2.jpg oil sand 3.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardyards For This Useful Post:

threedogs (25th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt even fit the $17 jobbie to a Prado... uuummm... on second thoughts...

The 'decent' quality adapters should be no issues at all.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast