OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ZD30 Di replace with new or reconditioned?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    What about getting you motor rebuilt? Maybe you can specify better pistons etc. if they are available. You could also avoid the oil pump falling off issue by getting the proper amount of Loctite on the bolts instead of relying on Mr Nissans robot to fuik it up.
    This would depend on having a decent mechanic in your area that you trust.
    Already thought of that.. But i am sceptical re existing block anyway. If the block/cylinders were not stuffed I would have looked at new better ones. but at present its up in the air. Anyway as far as the oil pump goes that can be sorted even with a new motor. Though I have only heard re this on the early model motors.

May be wrong but just an addition to add to issues.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    I did have that immediate thought too, but think it is a little harsh .......
    Extremely possible, it's a reality mate.

Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    Anyway as far as the oil pump goes that can be sorted even with a new motor. Though I have only heard re this on the early model motors.
    Nah mate happens throughout. Even CRD's, search the other nissan forum, many threads there about this issue on CRDs too.
    Bolts coming loose or something as not torqued up properly.
    Fixed by taking sump off, along with the gear box. Still a decent job.
    When I spoke to 4x4 obsession recently about gutting my engine to fix the coolant issue, fix the manifold and replace the turbo, he said when they fix the coolant leaks, they routinely check the oil pickup too, since the sump is off anyway ( as well as most of the engine).
    2005 TD42TI

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How i am beginning to HATE Mr Nissan.

Looks like its hard to find a NEW ZD30 motor for my vehicle.

Found some on fleaby, but most seem to be related the the GU I - III . Nothing for the 2005 GU IV. Anyway still looking.

Seems I get to rebuild my current motor.

One comment I got, Nissan don't make the ZD 30 Di anymore so you are left with rebuilds.
    Well a 2001 rebuild is not a 2004 rebuild unless all mods Mr Nissan did are included.

Not happy..

I might even start serious looking at THAT the brand, Toyota.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty poor form from Nissan. I did not realise that Nissan stopped making DI's. I know they stopped selling them 7 years ago but they are the most likely to fail. Looks like they want you to buy a new Patrol from them instead. Sounds like their chances aren't good if their motor only lasts 136000 km.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    Pretty poor form from Nissan. I did not realise that Nissan stopped making DI's. I know they stopped selling them 7 years ago but they are the most likely to fail. Looks like they want you to buy a new Patrol from them instead. Sounds like their chances aren't good if their motor only lasts 136000 km.
    To some extent i am not blaming Nissan re the motor, just the lack of new replacements.

Why not the motor:
    Was it a case it was loosing coolant by normal evaporation and i did not look, or was it a ces of cracked head and i still did not check the coolant..

I just had the vehicle peeped for a trip 3000ks before this happened. Som its hard to tell.

Why i don't want a recon motor ref this:
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ll-goes-bang-(

As mentioned in that thread I don't want a motor older than my current one as it will have NISSAN ISSUES. It would be better to do a recon on my current motor, not a replacement. that is also the verdict of the mechanics doing the work. Though best option is a new latest Ni$$an create one.

I will find out this week what the end options are. Hopefully.

I can upgrade to a common rail but the is $$$, or even a 4.2 diesel but that is BIG $$$$$$$..

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK some updates and advice.

Patrol ZD30 di, 136000 kms

Head cracked lost coolant. Cooked motor.
    About 6000m back changed the glow plugs from dead ceramics, out of 4 only 2 were working , others lost tips etc), to metal. Not got around to doing whether. 2 glow plugs seem ok 21 slightly work, one 50% loss metal.

Piston tops all clean and not pitted/damaged, even though the ceramic glow plugs had lost material.
    Bores: scoured in places due to heating issued.

Haven't fully inspected the head but seems only one crack. Not checked where that occurred. Anyway sufficient to suck coolant not system and drain 3l out.

Everything else actually clean, thanks to EGR block and NADS.

Still sorting out new engine. Seems some what difficult as they are scarce, almost like hens teeth.

Now ADVICE:

If you have not done it yet do the glow plug timer MOD. Be that will ceramics or metal. Change then about every 50- 80K, especially the ceramics timer or not.

Next mods I am looking at are:
    1. a low coolant indicator in the over flow tank..
    2. additional venting of engine bay.
    3. what ever i have left out.

OK this is costing heaps as i am doing other changes but I still think the DZ30 is a reasonable motor. It has issues but so do all motors id pushed hard and beyond capacity.

The head cracking is or seems to be an issue so worth trying to find a way of monitoring the issue. Working on that.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (25th February 2015), growler2058 (25th February 2015), Hodge (25th February 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the same boat!!

Can you still get hold of the crate engine?? Nissan said they stopped selling them a few months ago.
    Also what are the issues with fitting the 4.2 diesel instead??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what I dont understand is........

if soo soo many Di's were Grenading, how come its soo expensive to rebuild

surely they would be cheaper, because "so many" of them went Bang
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bigcol I don't think many people repair or rebuild. Most simply do a conversion to something.

Sent from my SM-T705Y using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have me rather worried now. I have a 2005 3.0 Di. It has done 158 000km without any issues and not yet got around to doing any mods.
    Catch can is number 1 on my list, just need to make some time for it.
    I thought at this mileage it would still be fine, but yours has got me rather concerned.
    Maybe more reason to get organised and do some NADS.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast