Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 15,000KMs on rebuilt motor full NADS and still goes bang :(

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy 15,000KMs on rebuilt motor full NADS and still goes bang :(

Well it doesn't appear to well, but my Patrol lost all power, vibrated like unbalanced washing machine and a big cloud of white smoke out the back.

Don't know why yet, the Trol is at the mechanics and compression test in a day or 2, but what i don't get is it's a rebuilt ZD30 motor from Nissan with only 15,000 KMs since being installed (though that was 2 years ago - so out of warranty). It had the full NADS treatment as soon as the motor went in, so it wasn't a case of adding it later when potential damage may have already occurred.

At the time EGT was 400 deg C.

Didn't catch the boost, as it was 0 as soon as I looked, but was set at 14PSI and has never exceeded that.

Was only serviced 2,000 KMs ago and oil and what not was nice and clean.

Only thing I did notice was a a leak of radiator fluid towards the front bottom of the block, thought maybe the water pump as it's the only thing near there, but didn't appear to be.

ECUTalk showed ICV at 3% but later showed 50% and fuel temp at 68 deg C. Coolant was showing 99 deg C as well (sure I set an alarm for 95!)

Sure hoping the pin hasn't pulled, especially given the 15,000 K's on it.

IMG_0187.JPGIMG_0191.JPG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spewing mate...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very weird, were you cruising at the time, what level is your oil they will not tolerate higher than normal levels
    Your ICV% is very low, mine is sits on 75-80, Hope the damage isnt too bad
    I'd still have a word with who ever built,
    Last edited by threedogs; 16th February 2015 at 07:05 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Very weird, were you cruising at the time, what level is your oil they will not tolerate higher than normal levels
    Your ICV% is very low, mine is sits on 75-80, Hope the damage isnt too bad
    I'd still have a word with who ever built,
    Yeah just general driving on the bitumen on the day. Day before was a little bush bashing (mostly in 2WD) and some steep inclines, but nothing much at all.

Oil level was good.

Yeah my ICV usually sits between 50-60%

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not good mate. I hope the result is something, easy and cheap to fix, but considering the symptoms, unlikely.
    This is a third 3L I've seen (read ) about this week pulling the pin (assumed yours has).
    Patrol was parked across the road from my work for 2 days, and on saturday when the truck arrived I wondered over and asked whats happened. Towie didn't know as he was just picking it up, but there was oil pissing out from the top of the motor, all over the ground. It was a CRD with about 35k on the clock, stock as rock. And mid last week, another guy at work just about starved his motor off oil, due to the pickup pump falling off on the inside? He caught his early though so, it was a save...

Just curious what is ICV? I don't think I've seen it on my ScanGauge as an option / gauge?
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Just curious what is ICV? I don't think I've seen it on my ScanGauge as an option / gauge?
    Hoping it's something easy and cheap too, especially as I was made redundant 2 weeks ago - so hate to eat in to life savings when there's no income coming in - had a 2nd bad thing happen (close friend past away a few days later) so taking it this is the bad #3. Can only get better from now on ..... i friggin hope

ICV is Injection pump timing Control Valve.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say rebuilt motor from Nissan do you mean crate motor or did the dealership rebuild your motor?

Another possibility is that the injection pump might have gone. Happened to a friends Series III. Everyone thought it had pulled the pin, including the towie but it was the IP. It was blowing smoke and running on a couple of cylinders etc. Still cost him $6500 to get the bugger fixed.

Hodge, you know the year of the Patrol which lost it's oil pump?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozjeff View Post
    Hoping it's something easy and cheap too, especially as I was made redundant 2 weeks ago - so hate to eat in to life savings when there's no income coming in - had a 2nd bad thing happen (close friend past away a few days later) so taking it this is the bad #3. Can only get better from now on ..... i friggin hope

ICV is Injection pump timing Control Valve.
    Thanks for the answer mate. And that is a bad bunch of luck as of late for ya. Things can only look up from here ey? Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    When you say rebuilt motor from Nissan do you mean crate motor or did the dealership rebuild your motor?

Another possibility is that the injection pump might have gone. Happened to a friends Series III. Everyone thought it had pulled the pin, including the towie but it was the IP. It was blowing smoke and running on a couple of cylinders etc. Still cost him $6500 to get the bugger fixed.

Hodge, you know the year of the Patrol which lost it's oil pump?

It is a 2005 Di mate. Began running rough, and had low oil pressure but dip stick was showing oil, and it looked thicker on the stick because it wasn't being circulated.
    But they supposedly took the sump plug off, and sent through a keyhole LED camera and seen the fairly loose pick-up pump... And I didn't know this was possible? Technology ey....
    It getting fixed, sump off, gear-box off, and he'll get the timing cover re-sealed for the second time. A lot off $$$.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear you bad luck mate, i hope it works out to be something that wasnt too bad and doesnt cost you a ship load of $$ to fix it up.

as with rock trolls question, when you rebuild the motor what did you do? did you do the injector pump? im getting my car done at the moment, which grenaded and my mechanic believes that the motor goes due to the dicky injector pump nissan put into them. ive scored the bore in #3 and melted that piston. hes going to replace all the pistons with oversized high temp pistons (i think that means they are ceramic coated but dont quote me on it lol), oversize the cylinders, change/reco the head and refurb the injector pump with denco and he believes that will stop the problem.

we did sit down an go over the options and after he talked it out with me it really sounded like the most promising solution.

good luck with the motor mate, ill be keeping an eye on your thread to see how your going.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozjeff View Post
    Well it doesn't appear to well, but my Patrol lost all power, vibrated like unbalanced washing machine and a big cloud of white smoke out the back.

Don't know why yet, the Trol is at the mechanics and compression test in a day or 2, but what i don't get is it's a rebuilt ZD30 motor from Nissan with only 15,000 KMs since being installed (though that was 2 years ago - so out of warranty). It had the full NADS treatment as soon as the motor went in, so it wasn't a case of adding it later when potential damage may have already occurred.

At the time EGT was 400 deg C.

Didn't catch the boost, as it was 0 as soon as I looked, but was set at 14PSI and has never exceeded that.

Was only serviced 2,000 KMs ago and oil and what not was nice and clean.

Only thing I did notice was a a leak of radiator fluid towards the front bottom of the block, thought maybe the water pump as it's the only thing near there, but didn't appear to be.

ECUTalk showed ICV at 3% but later showed 50% and fuel temp at 68 deg C. Coolant was showing 99 deg C as well (sure I set an alarm for 95!)

Sure hoping the pin hasn't pulled, especially given the 15,000 K's on it.

IMG_0187.JPGIMG_0191.JPG
    Whats the fan off on your Ecu-Talk I think mine has boost there???
    Motor is off so disregard readings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 17th February 2015 at 10:59 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast