Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handheld GPS

Hi all, thought I'd ask for thoughts / opinions on here while I'm doing my homework...

Thinking about buying a handheld GPS unit,so I can use it in car and out...

Wanting something that will leave breadcrumbs on and off road... A few that I've seen seem to do turn by turn on road so guessing you can also type in addresses as well as co-ordinates...

Really at the start of my search so any input would be great...
    1999 GU DX 4.2L | UFI 18g Turbo | Cross Country Intercooler | 2" Lift | 33" BF Goodrich KM2s
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries, can, and do kill people and damage property...No Excuses!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben,

Which one would you use most / want most, in car or out?

I haven't looked a GPS's for a long time.... at least 10 years but when I did get one I opted for the Garmin quest as it was more in car navigation but was able to leave bread crumbs when off road or bush walking/ I know that made a quest 2 but they are both well and truly discontinued now.

Most car ones that I have seen these days don't leave bread crumbs...
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have my phone and other in car gps devices for the car, but in all honesty would be good to have one that does it all.

I guess price is the trade off here (if it's a lot cheaper but only does off road then may be a consideration)

Looks like garmin still may lead the charge (at least on ebay) but will need to do a lot more research.

Just know I'm extremely navigationally challenged so if I start heading off the beaten track for hunting, etc I'm going to need to have something to get me back to camp/car
    1999 GU DX 4.2L | UFI 18g Turbo | Cross Country Intercooler | 2" Lift | 33" BF Goodrich KM2s
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries, can, and do kill people and damage property...No Excuses!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by relyimah View Post
    Just know I'm extremely navigationally challenged so if I start heading off the beaten track for hunting, etc I'm going to need to have something to get me back to camp/car
    Buy a dinky little Garmin Etrex, turn it on, stick it in your pocket.
    You can knock it, drop it, get it wet, don't need a degree in technobabble to work it and best of all...
    It will get you home every time.

Trying to get an 'all in one' solution that is ruggedised, has a decent screen, decent battery life, decent software, decent antenna, does raster and vector maps etc etc just isn't available
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (16th February 2015), relyimah (15th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True ET ... Essentially needs to be good for walking then anything else is a bonus. I'll add to the list to look at.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was one of the couple I'd had a quick look at already... Etrex 20 and gpsmap 62s. Which appears to maybe be a slightly "better" version...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Garmin Rino 650 for hunting, and besides the actual gun it is the single most valuable tool I have purchased.
    Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. It is a combined 5w UHF and GPS, but it doesn't skimp on the functions of either.

You can even get free maps from: shonkymaps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neet_wagon View Post
    I've got a Garmin Rino 650 for hunting, and besides the actual gun it is the single most valuable tool I have purchased. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. It is a combined 5w UHF and GPS, but it doesn't skimp on the functions of either. You can even get free maps from: shonkymaps
    That one looks like the ducks guts ... Not sure if it's within the price range though at this stage.... Will definitely be on the short list though.

Still seems like Garmin or nothing though... I'm ok with this. I wish I'd never got rid of my in car one...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the lower end of the scale (or budget if you prefer) and reccy use I like Garmin.
    For the upper end Magellan take over and almost all our surveying gear at work is Magellan based.

Either way both companies were there from the start of the GPS revolution and are world leaders.
    Can't go wrong with either choice
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

relyimah (16th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    For the lower end of the scale (or budget if you prefer) and reccy use I like Garmin.
    For the upper end Magellan take over and almost all our surveying gear at work is Magellan based.

Either way both companies were there from the start of the GPS revolution and are world leaders.
    Can't go wrong with either choice
    Cheers. So it looks like the "eXplorist" is the Magellan equivalent to the eTrex... A little pricier but would you suggest that maybe the would be better accuracy for the extra price? Or maybe just paying for the name at that end of the scale? See to have similar featured from a quick glance....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast