OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TD42i EGR blocking & all that stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42i EGR blocking & all that stuff.

I’ve been thinking about blocking the egr on my car for some time (in fact I may even have mentioned it here before). With the new exhaust fitted I’m thinking it would probably make sense to get the car dyno tuned with a focus on torque & economy, (particularly as since it was fitted I noticed it blew a little black smoke when my wife gave it a few gentle revs from idle).

I suppose that if I were to do the egr block it would probably make sense to do it prior to a dyno tune? yes/no?

There seems to be plenty of info available on blocking the egr on 3 litre models, but very little for the 4.2’s. However our good mate Mudski, among others sells the plates to suit 4.2’s so I guess folk find it a worthwhile thing to do. I’m particularly drawn to claims of improved fuel consumption & cleaner, longer lasting motors. I do harbour some ambivalence about making the car more polluting but on balance am prepared to do as many others already have. I’ll live with the hypocrisy!

What I would really like is a pictorial ‘how to’ if someone could manage this for me. Send it as a PM if uncomfortable about putting it on the open forum.

There appears, from what I’ve read, 3 things to do.
    1. Fit a blanking plate. Sounds simple enough - a pic of a TD42i with location arrowed would be good.
    2. Remove an EGR actuator (butterfly valve?) - a pic showing location of this actuator & instruction on how to remove it would be good.
    3. Fit a catch can. Does this apply to the 4.2? If so where does it fit. Again a pic would be good.

Is that it, or is there more to consider? Does it all need to be done at once? Apart from the pollution are there any other downsides to doing this modification? (Legality aside - we are of course talking off road use).

Thanks people.

4.Have also read somewhere there is also ‘something to do underneath the car’ ???
    Last edited by Cuppa; 12th February 2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Added no.4

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (12th February 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested in how you go Cuppa..........

it hadn't crossed my mind before, but it now intrigues me
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Troll the EGR blocking thread and you'll find my write up for my 4.2 tdi, with pics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (12th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cuppa

I would advise doing the block prior to your dyno tune.

There is a company up here called northside 4x4 who make a kit to completely remove the egr that comes with some pretty good instructions. I will see if I can track down the instructions but im unsure if I still have them.

I will give a quick explanation for your questions and will get some pics for you tomorrow.

1. There are 2 locations in which this can be done. You can put the plate in the exhaust manifold, there is a 2 bolt flange with a pipe at the rear of the exhaust manifold. The other option which is a little easier is the small flange which is on the elbow into your intake manifold.

2. The butterfly valve is on the inlet to the intercooler. This is quite simple, remove the intercooler inlet hose and undo the 2 screws which hold the butterfly to the shaft leaving the shaft in situ. I did find this easier to remove the complete intercooler.

3. The catch can is up to you. The 4.2 doesn't really suffer the same issues the 3.0 does. Basically the hose that comes from the breather on your rocker cover and goes to the inlet pipe before the turbo can be routed to a catch can then from the catch can back to the inlet pipe to the turbo.

There is a little bit more you can do. When I did mine I basically removed everything egr related- egr cooler, vacuum lines, relays. When doing this a did notice a very small drop in coolant temps.

4. No nothing underneath. It is easier to get to the egr pipe at the exhaust manifold end from underneath.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (12th February 2015), threedogs (1st April 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Troll the EGR blocking thread and you'll find my write up for my 4.2 tdi, with pics
    Found it thanks TimE. Here for anyone else looking.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...light=blocking

Page 17 has Time's specific TD42 removal cuppa.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...light=blocking

Page 17 has Time's specific TD42 removal cuppa.
    Now that has me totally confused Matt. There are only 9 pages in that thread, & TimE’s pics are on page 5. ???

(Btw, I fitted my oil pressure sender today - used a T piece next to the oil filters as that alternator feed just wasn’t going to come out. Also fitted the water temp sensor same as Macca in the thermostat housing alongside the factory ones).

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    your settings could be different to mine but post #169 in that link you posted?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    your settings could be different to mine but post #169 in that link you posted?
    Ah, yep must be a settings difference. Post #169 it is.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity but why does he pull the butterfly out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast