Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DM Flywheel & Clutch failure after 55,000km

Hi All,

I am hoping others can share similar experiences below.

Nearly 3 years ago in my 2010 GU patrol I started a driving holiday around WA. I was towing my camper trailer (less than 1500kg loaded). The first 200km was fine but then I started noticing that the cruise control would disengage and it would rev as if the clutch was slipping when under load like going up hills.

I had someone look at it at my next destination which was a further 300km. When they inspected the car, the camper trailer was off. They said they didn't know what was wrong with it, when I suggested the clutch they said definitely not the clutch.

8 days and 1600km later I drove into Nissan in Port Hedland, there the technician who took the car for a test drive drove it to destruction, he was riding the clutch, revving the engine to red-line and popping the clutch and when he pulled back to the dealership it wouldn't drive anymore.

They couldn't fit me in for another 3 weeks and suggested I take it elsewhere. They said Nissan Australia may or may not fix it under warranty.

I had a new solid flywheel and clutch installed at another mechanics who were very helpful and took photo's and everything. They stated that the DM Flywheel had separated and failed.

I have been 4WDing for 20+years and know exactly how to burn out a clutch, which has led me to know exactly how not to burn out a clutch as well. Some people laugh at me letting my tyres up and down all the time but tyre pressure is a key factor in clutch preservation.

I wrote to Nissan Australia seeking compensation under warranty. I received a phone call from a very rude lady who stated that they will not reimburse me under warranty as it is not a manufacturing fault. I stated that a warrantable item on the vehicle had failed, she refused to listen and kept repeating this. I asked to speak with her manager and she stated she doesn't have one (lucky me must have been speaking with the General Manager of Nissan). I asked for this reason in writing and she refused.

I went to consumer protection and they stated that I did have a case and they spent the next 2 years going back and forth with Nissan, bringing in experts and everything to no avail. Unfortunately Consumer Protection leave it to the consumer to take them to court, so I am now in the process of taking Nissan to court, which costs me more money.

Nissan have stated several interesting things so far in the pre-trial conference, being that it is not a manufacturing fault, it is a result of overheating, the DM Flywheel is a wear and tear item and Nissan Australia stated it is not a known issue and has not seen any DM Flywheel's returned (never had a warranty claim submitted for the DM Flywheel).

I love my Patrol, but this has put a real dampener on me ever buying another one.

I have started a Poll (in the polls section) to see how many others have had similar issues and if Nissan came to the party for them or not. I would love to hear your story below, if you have had warranty or been rejected warranty and your general dealing with Nissan Australia.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,651 Times in 3,120 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geeze mate what a ride. I feel really sorry for you. Its amazing how reliably farked up Nissans warranty system is.
    I wish you luck mate with this battle. Hopefully the good guy wins.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mates D40 Navara had his clutch fail during a weekend club trip, it was replaced 7000klm ago!

The "supplier" will not back the product, mechanic is looking for a way out and rang me to ask about his driving style FFS.

So will watch this with interest.
    Last edited by macca; 5th February 2015 at 10:16 AM.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another case of Mr Nissan trying to ream the small guy,
    from my time here there have been a few successes but sadly not over a DM clutch.
    Maybe they go on the lines there are a lot of ifs concerning clutches, driving styles ,load,
    and terrain, I wish you all the luck in the world with this, and hope you win eventually
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A personal experience from many years ago when Ford gave a lifetime guarantee for work done in their workshops.

We had an Econovan that needed the engine rebuilt, due to the protection offered I got a local Ford dealer to repair it.

An oil ring broke and needed repairing, but guess what? Yeah Ford would not cover it.

Here the clanger, it was not a lubricated part! Excluded in the fine print.

I'm an electrician, no fool but also not a mechanic. This had me confused how an oil coated ring was not lubricated.

Eventually got a mechanic who teaches at TAFE to write a letter, he included a Ford training manual detail of the operation of the oil ring and how in Fords own text said it needed to be lubricated to do its job!

This manual was provided by Ford for teaching apprentices, at TAFE, how to work on Ford engines.

Ford paid the local dealer for the repair.
    Cheers
    Macca

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

threedogs (5th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had the DM Flywheel fail on my 2007 Patrol, I thought that I got in replaced under warranty............bugger old age just not 100% sure
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clutch and brakes are usually prickly items for car makers warranties. Nissan, Toyo are well know for weaselling out when those claims are made. This because they fit light duty clutches to save a buck and DMF is there to make "weaker" transmission to survive the torque shock loads longer at the expense of consumers in when it fails (DMF).

You have now experienced the great worthless warranty makers like Nissan and Toyota especially are adept at selling. This is deliberate policy as it saves and makes them money.

Most people wear the clutches faster on diesels because they slip feed engagement while also revving the engine up like they'd normally do/drive a petrol engine car which doesn't have the low down torque to do it. Diesel has much higher torque and the anti-stall feature of EDC allows to feed the clutch in at idle. Try it, it works! I idle up the clutch even up hill most of the time. Watch the big trucks shaking the cabs on take off as the driver frictions the clutch at idle until it is fully engaged letting the EDC to do its job before pushing down acclerator.

Another thing I've seen and heard of people using 2nd gear to take off instead 1st (apparently it can do it so why not) making the cluch to wear even faster. Biggest enemy is the heat, more friction more heat.

Mine had the clutch replaced by previous owner when the car had done just 10,000 km (towing a large boat around 2.7 T) and it took him all the threats of legal action before the Ni$$an stealership relented and replaced it all at their own cost (warranty rejected) to keep the bad publicity down and customer relations positive.

You have now fitted the correct HD clutch and solid flywheel and consider it a lesson what you can expect from Ni$$an so avoid giving them your bussines again. Service the car yourself or have it done by independent shop.

You're not the first nor the last getting stung by Ni$$an or its stealers. Ni$$an warranties are worthless, not even worth the paper they're written on. Ni$$an AU will dispute every claim until they succeed getting the cost paid by someone else (customer, dealer, insurance, whatever).

Toyota ain't any better, their motto: What warranty!?! Consider all the recalls and see what POS they actually make.

These are desperate actions of businesses with ever dimishing returns.

Regards
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 10th February 2015 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine failed at 30000 and the talking to Nissan was more painfull then getting stabbed in the eye. I took the easy but more expencive option and changed to a single flywheel cluch.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.