Thanks
    Thanked 11,311 Times in 6,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Goooooood question, no idea if the heat sheild is there or not lol
    it was a bit fiddly to fit using the springs provided so I used some stainless
    lock wire.. As it was so easy to fit I would say the heat sheild is removed,
    fits like a glove you can place your hand on it when the motor is running.
    The lowest my EGTs have been since fitting it is 150C, never did that before,
    I just idle a little longer if I've been giving it a few berries.

EDIT My aux battery is basically cool now compared to being hot before
    that with a slight increase in efficiency, best $44 spent so far,
    I can drive with the OD off and EGTs will never go above 200c.
    Yet to try towing but wont be too far away
    You've lost me John. You don't know if you have the heat shield on or off? Also what size was the beanie you got?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My turbo timer works great. IMHO they are a good idea as when I was flying I ALWAYS idled the turbo's for at least 2 minutes post landing taxi and parked. True, the engines were petrol but boy did they glow at night! We don't just shut off the tractors (all but one turbo'd) either, let them idle for a few minutes before shutting down.

Could well be a 'wisetale' or carry over from father but so far no issues with installed turbo's ... only issue is waiting for the UFI 18g ...
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,422 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyInAuz View Post
    My turbo timer works great. IMHO they are a good idea as when I was flying I ALWAYS idled the turbo's for at least 2 minutes post landing taxi and parked. True, the engines were petrol but boy did they glow at night! We don't just shut off the tractors (all but one turbo'd) either, let them idle for a few minutes before shutting down.

Could well be a 'wisetale' or carry over from father but so far no issues with installed turbo's ... only issue is waiting for the UFI 18g ...
    No mate no wives tale. Your turbo timer does automatically what other people do manually.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    You've lost me John. You don't know if you have the heat shield on or off? Also what size was the beanie you got?
    I'd say its off as I had a new dump pipe fitted its the smallest beanie I'll check what size for you.
    cerntainly keeps the aux battery cooler, just for that reason alone ,it must be good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400770282...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As for a light aircraft engine V a ZD30 I would think you would have a shut down protcol for engine longevity
    Last edited by threedogs; 27th February 2015 at 09:20 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re. Turbo timers. I considered getting one early in the piece but decided against it. Too dangerous! It was a turbo timer which killed Malcolm Douglas when the vehicle was accidentally knocked into gear, & I’ve since read of several other similar close shaves. After fitting an EGT gauge it’s easy enough to ensure the temp is low enough before turning off, & most times the temp is down by the time you’ve slowed down, pulled over & parked anyway.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

clawrence (27th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Re. Turbo timers. I considered getting one early in the piece but decided against it. Too dangerous! It was a turbo timer which killed Malcolm Douglas when the vehicle was accidentally knocked into gear, & I’ve since read of several other similar close shaves. After fitting an EGT gauge it’s easy enough to ensure the temp is low enough before turning off, & most times the temp is down by the time you’ve slowed down, pulled over & parked anyway.
    Wasnt the 4x4 in neutral when he got out to open a gate ,it is thought his dog tried to get out knocking the troopy in to gear pinning him against a tree, just saying. This guy was a hero to me

Not sure a turbo timer was involved, no mention of it

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ma...923-15nt7.html
    Last edited by threedogs; 27th February 2015 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say its off as I had a new dump pipe fitted its the smallest beanie I'll check what size for you.
    cerntainly keeps the aux battery cooler, just for that reason alone ,it must be good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400770282...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As for a light aircraft engine V a ZD30 I would think you would have a shut down protcol for engine longevity
    hey john have taken the truck for a long run up the hume or tried any hill runs or just flat running around the city
    take a run up to Seymour and back and see what the temps are like im interested in this

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    hey john have taken the truck for a long run up the hume or tried any hill runs or just flat running around the city
    take a run up to Seymour and back and see what the temps are like im interested in this
    Ill take it for a blast up to Tallarook tomorrow if all goes well, need to charge the batteries
    As it is I cant get higher than 450c, maybe thats more to do with boost
    but thats not towing,,,, big difference,
    It keeps the heat in and heat is energy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (27th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill take it for a blast up to Tallarook tomorrow if all goes well, need to charge the batteries
    As it is I cant get higher than 450c, maybe thats more to do with boost
    but thats not towing,,,, big difference,
    It keeps the heat in and heat is energy
    if your up to it mate would be good to see what it does on the open road

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

threedogs (27th February 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,311 Times in 6,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    if your up to it mate would be good to see what it does on the open road
    Theres a decent bit of open road between John and Tallarook. I'd love to see the difference in EGT's if someone has a probe in the manifold, rather than the dump pipe. This may give a more accurate result. John ya basterd! Ya got me thinking about one of these now!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (27th February 2015)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast