Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: INFO ON TURBO BLANKET [beanie]

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    well the "beanie " is fitted and upon further reading cant wait to try it out.
    From what Ive read I can do no harm whats so ever , and I should get better spool rate and less lag
    so thats got to be good. I wont be fitting a turbo timer IMO another wank factor gizmo.
    Im not expecting any power gains ,just efficiency via thermal dynamics
    easy enough and cheap enough if things go wrong

Further reading tells me it saves head gasket problems on turbo engines
    http://ptpturboblankets.com/why_turbo_blankets.php
    Last edited by threedogs; 7th February 2015 at 02:19 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    From what Ive read I can do no harm whats so ever , and I should get better spool rate and less lag
    so thats got to be good. I wont be fitting a turbo timer IMO another wank factor gizmo.

Further reading tells me it saves head gasket problems on turbo engines
    http://ptpturboblankets.com/why_turbo_blankets.php
    Be good to see the results/ findings but I fail to see how you will get better spool rate and less lag just from a beanie. But only good will come from it i suppose if people fit them.
    As for the battery cover thingo's John. They do actually fit the larger 15 plate N70ZZ sized batteries as my Patrol had them both when I bought it and I took them off and I dunno where they are now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Mudski its all about thermal dynamics pretty simple in operation as it uses heat to generate enery, some thing like that'
    Anyway went for a drive into the city 35c day. My EGTs were 200 cruising and at one stage went down to 150C.
    My Patrol has never had figures of 150C, IMHO It drives smoother I idle a little longer not much then turn it off.
    Its not a race engine so I dont think I would be generating very high temps, I did re check my EGT gauge after a few mins to see if temps went up
    but in fact they were down and by a long way. They also say it is great for not allowing a hot spot along the head,
    I like it the motor feels better ,more responsive ,smoother, I'll put a pic here later.
    Only took 5 mins to install, from the ppl Ive spoken to it cant do any harm, might be like chicken soup lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (12th February 2015), mudski (26th February 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wont be fitting a turbo timer IMO another wank factor gizmo.
    Not too sure on what the workings of patrol turbo's, but allowing turbo's to cool before shutting off is important. Whether you use a turbo timer, or just sit in the car, or even just keep it off boost for the last few minutes of a drive, I wouldn't recommend giving it some boost and then just shutting the motor off, even moreso with a beanie.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Not too sure on what the workings of patrol turbo's, but allowing turbo's to cool before shutting off is important. Whether you use a turbo timer, or just sit in the car, or even just keep it off boost for the last few minutes of a drive, I wouldn't recommend giving it some boost and then just shutting the motor off, even moreso with a beanie.
    I went to fit a Turbo timer ages ago - HSK or some bloody thing - came with adapters to fit Nissan Patrol GU
    yeah right
    never fitted it, as you cannot get the connectors in Aust (at the time) a waste of money and time to partially fit

if you have been boosting while driving, by the time you slow down (in my case) EGT's are below 150-200 anyway - so no hotter than non turbo'd exhaust

I agree - wank factor only

unless your driving a Scania or something

beanie looks like a good idea
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

threedogs (12th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    from what Ive been told it makes the air inside the turbo more efficient. Isn't that the big picture efficiency
    there is no way my driving style will get my motor "race hot" . Plus I never rev then shut off any motor,
    i only idle for an extra min. to stabilize temps then shut it off

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcol View Post
    I went to fit a Turbo timer ages ago - HSK or some bloody thing - came with adapters to fit Nissan Patrol GU
    yeah right
    never fitted it, as you cannot get the connectors in Aust (at the time) a waste of money and time to partially fit

if you have been boosting while driving, by the time you slow down (in my case) EGT's are below 150-200 anyway - so no hotter than non turbo'd exhaust

I agree - wank factor only

unless your driving a Scania or something

beanie looks like a good idea

As much as a turbo timer or sitting idling is to reduce egts/turbo temps, it also helps the turbo last longer. It helps save the bearing because if you think about how fast a turbo is spinning whilst on boost, it takes a little while to stop, or slow down. So if your turbo is spinning flat strap and then turn the car off, stopping the oil pump, the turbo is still spinning basically dry, with no or very little oil.

I do agree with you about how much of a wank factor a turbo timer is.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=threedogs;578467]well the "beanie " is fitted and upon further reading cant wait to try it out.

Was the beanie fitted under the heat shield?, or was the heatshield removed when you fitted a larger exhaust...

I ask as a local mechanic said the heat shield would be removed and not replaced after fitting a 3 inch system...was wanting to keep heat away from Aux battery "when I get around to fitting it"

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Heavyweight;583341]

Was the beanie fitted under the heat shield?, or was the heatshield removed when you fitted a larger exhaust...

I ask as a local mechanic said the heat shield would be removed and not replaced after fitting a 3 inch system...was wanting to keep heat away from Aux battery "when I get around to fitting it"
    The heatshield still fits with a 3inch pipe. Easily. But with a beanie on the shield wouldnt go back on I think.

Hows the beanie John? Are the engine bay temps lower too you think?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Goooooood question, no idea if the heat sheild is there or not lol
    it was a bit fiddly to fit using the springs provided so I used some stainless
    lock wire.. As it was so easy to fit I would say the heat sheild is removed,
    fits like a glove you can place your hand on it when the motor is running.
    The lowest my EGTs have been since fitting it is 150C, never did that before,
    I just idle a little longer if I've been giving it a few berries.

EDIT My aux battery is basically cool now compared to being hot before
    that with a slight increase in efficiency, best $44 spent so far,
    I can drive with the OD off and EGTs will never go above 200c.
    Yet to try towing but wont be too far away
    Last edited by threedogs; 26th February 2015 at 05:13 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast