Thread: Trailers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailers

With my new shed going up around the end of this month the time is getting closer for me to start thinking about some of the practicalities involved with my building inside it once it’s up. One of those practicalities is how I will get the varied building materials (timber, doors, windows, insulation, etc etc - all the bits & pieces which go making up a ‘residence’) to my site. Relying on companies to deliver could get expensive & possibly inconvenient. I have been offered the possibility of borrowing a 7x5 trailer when I need it, but would have to arrange it every time I needed it which would also be inconvenient, particularly when the need to be quick to pick up second hand bargains arises, & a 7x5 might be a bit small for carrying things like loads of 2.7m timber studs for example (particularly if going to Melbourne).

Consequently I have been looking at the possibility of buying a trailer, most likely a 8x5 tandem. It seems there are two main sources - those built locally & those which are imported. The imported ones offer galvanised at similar or lower prices than many secondhand painted ones. Has anyone had any direct experience of the imported ones? Are they any good, or best avoided. A mob in Melbourne called ‘The Galvanised Trailer Company’ appear to be very new on the scene, presumably selling imports commisioned & built in Asia, but looks like their designs are good. Just not sure about the quality.

I’m also very undecided about buying a tandem. I need the length, & sometimes the extra load capacity, but I could get an 8x5 in a single axle which would be far easier to push around when not hooked up to the Patrol, which is an issue which needs consideration, but of course the single axle is restricted to 750kg rather than the 1990kg of the tandem.

Once I’ve finished building inside the shed I really won’t have any further need for a tandem, as the only need for a trailer I’d envisage in the future would be occasional firewood collecting, where a single axle 7x5 high sided trailer would be better, allowing easier access along woodland tracks I reckon.

Soooo...... as well as asking for advice I thought I’d ask if there is anyone who has a tandem trailer which is sitting unused & which you might consider lending to me for the duration of my build? I envisage this to be for most of this year so appreciate it’s a big ask. If it helped I’d buy a 7x5 trailer & do an ‘exchange lend’ for the period. I could also return the tandem if there were times of specific need. Alternatively maybe if you are reasonably ‘local’ you could just ’store’ your trailer here & use it as you normally would, giving me the use the rest of the time?

Thanks
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have an 8x5 cage Tandem here Cuppa which i might be happy to store at your place. Let me sleep on that
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (2nd February 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do end up buying get it with a long draw bar... makes all the difference in controlling and you have an extra area to add a tool box if need be.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    weld a removable pipe rack front and rear on it or build a cage then you can carry 4mtr lenghts,
    Even a front rack will allow you to carry long lengths. 8 x 5 is a good size if you need soil or fire wood
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    weld a removable pipe rack front and rear on it or build a cage then you can carry 4mtr lenghts,
    Even a front rack will allow you to carry long lengths. 8 x 5 is a good size if you need soil or fire wood
    X2..

I made an adjustable rear bar on mine so I can drop it 120mm. I've loaded lengths of 4 mtrs but have to use our Falcon wagon so they pass over the roof..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (2nd February 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an imported 7'x5'. Seems to do the job just as well as the old mans locally built one - and at almost half the price. Only thing I'd complain about is that the paint has worn off the tie down points (mines not galvanised).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old thread but a neat little trick just found to temporarily off-road keep a slopped out trailer hub grease dust cap/buddy in place.

Snug as a beer can slither bug in a rug!
    Worked on our BMX wobbly handle bars as kids too :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is a mob in Airport West that will build a trailer to your spec if needed
    I ended up bo;ting 3 6" pipe clamps alomg the drawbar to hold the fishing rods.
    Going to the Murray after Bathurst car race but will post up details later all we;come
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMHO Tandems are a PIA so unless you want a Aggregate over 1,800Kg I would def stay with single axle.

The "750Kg" and "2,000Kg" capacity is determined by the brakes IE even a Tandem with no brakes is limited to 750Kg... we have an 8x5 Tandem no brakes here at work and it is shit useless really.
    Conversely a Trailer with mech override braking can have a GTM over 750 with either single or tandem axles up to 2000 then you need elec, elec over hyd or air brakes on at least one axle.
    If you go for a tandem over 2,000Kg then the braking has to be on both axles

FWIW my Van I just sold was single axle with elec brakes and a GTM of 2250 and was easy peasy to store at home as I could shove it around with a power jockey wheel and turn it in its own length... no way you can do that with a tandem.

Single axles are less complicated, easier to manouver and cheaper to buy and maintain
    Last edited by the evil twin; 26th July 2019 at 04:26 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.