OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blowing fuse, can't work out why.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wa 489 View Post

speaking from experience I see there AB.....
    He is a wise man... Being that he has been there and done that haha

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real annoying thing is that simple mistake cost me about 3 days of puling things apart and cursing.
    Also blew about a dozen fuses before I saw ET's idea of replacing the fuse with a globe for testing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work mate glad you found it

Show us your USB sockets I want to see where and how you mounted them as it sounds interesting
    Last edited by lucus30; 22nd February 2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All your earth's good ?

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done champ, you reached 25 posts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    The real annoying thing is that simple mistake cost me about 3 days of puling things apart and cursing.
    Also blew about a dozen fuses before I saw ET's idea of replacing the fuse with a globe for testing.
    thats a keeper , a great idea
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue but caused by something different. I will post here for future reference just in case. Hopefully it can save someone days of stuffing around.

Vehicle: '96 GQ Patrol DX 4.2TD

Problem: every time the headlights were switched on, the "tail light" fuse would blow. This supplied illumination to the tail lights, dashboard, center console, and possibly other components like number plate light etc.

The cause: Wiring harness for the stereo head unit. (CD Player)

As I discovered, the wiring harness for the head unit did not have an earth wire, but instead there was a PINK wire with a Blue stripe that was powered when the lights were switched on. Due to no earth wire I naturally assumed this was earth as it was the only wire left after the rest were connected, it was also tested as dead before I connected it (obviously because I didn't have the headlights on at the time). This caused an earth leakage through the pink wire and into the CD player, then out through the casing and into the chassis.

It was an easy fix, but hard to pinpoint. All I did was isolate the Pink wire coming from the loom, and then connected my CD Player earth wire to the chassis.

I was seriously going WFT, what is that wire even for??? Then it dawned on me.... the old original cassette deck units that were in there did not have illuminated display and buttons, they relied on an external power source... so when it's night time and you switch on your lights, the dashboard, centre console and the cassette tape deck all light up!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGQ View Post
    I had the same issue but caused by something different. I will post here for future reference just in case. Hopefully it can save someone days of stuffing around.

Vehicle: '96 GQ Patrol DX 4.2TD

Problem: every time the headlights were switched on, the "tail light" fuse would blow. This supplied illumination to the tail lights, dashboard, center console, and possibly other components like number plate light etc.

The cause: Wiring harness for the stereo head unit. (CD Player)

As I discovered, the wiring harness for the head unit did not have an earth wire, but instead there was a PINK wire with a Blue stripe that was powered when the lights were switched on. Due to no earth wire I naturally assumed this was earth as it was the only wire left after the rest were connected, it was also tested as dead before I connected it (obviously because I didn't have the headlights on at the time). This caused an earth leakage through the pink wire and into the CD player, then out through the casing and into the chassis.

It was an easy fix, but hard to pinpoint. All I did was isolate the Pink wire coming from the loom, and then connected my CD Player earth wire to the chassis.

I was seriously going WFT, what is that wire even for??? Then it dawned on me.... the old original cassette deck units that were in there did not have illuminated display and buttons, they relied on an external power source... so when it's night time and you switch on your lights, the dashboard, centre console and the cassette tape deck all light up!
    A lot of new CD players will utilise that wire too, they dim the display when your lights are on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

mudnut (5th February 2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123