Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel additive

Hi all,

I was given a bottle of diesel additive recently called diesel power made by chem tech and i'm reluctant to use it as i don't know if it would make any difference
    to the overall performance or cause any problems with the engine. It claims to boost engine performance, clean injectors, improve fuel economy and reduce exhaust emissions etc. Dosage is min. 1ml per litre.

Has or does anyone here use these products and are they ok to use?

Cheers Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I used castrol T2 plus injector cleaner and find the motor is quieter,
    not sure if it increases mileage but I feel its doing good
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

P4trol (1st February 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg1969 View Post
    Hi all,

I was given a bottle of diesel additive recently called diesel power made by chem tech and i'm reluctant to use it as i don't know if it would make any difference
    to the overall performance or cause any problems with the engine. It claims to boost engine performance, clean injectors, improve fuel economy and reduce exhaust emissions etc. Dosage is min. 1ml per litre.

Has or does anyone here use these products and are they ok to use?

Cheers Tony
    If you live in a area which sells dirty fuel then yes it will benefit. If you've had fuel sitting in your tank for longer than a few weeks and the weather has been warm, then yes use it. If your injectors are dirty, it may help. Replacing the injectors helps better.
    The only time I used this stuff was when I bought my car. I didnt know the quality of the fuel they were using as I bought it from a farmer. So I overdosed both tanks twice to clean any algae that might have been in there and then replaced the filter.
    It does do what its designed to do to a point. But some of the claims are plain rubbish IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Castrol T2 + same as TD. Same comment, the motor is quieter. Fuel usage seems to be slightly better, I get between 12.5 and 13.6 depending on type of driving and temp. (air conditioner on/off).
    As for the Chem Tech product, I would think it will either do some good or nothing. I wouldn't think they would put a product out there that would harm and engine.
    The claims are really dependent on the condition of your engine. If the injectors are "dirty" and the spray pattern is not correct, then any injector cleaner may help. If you clean the injectors you will boost performance, improve economy and reduce emissions. If you system is clean and working properly I think any improvement will be minimal at best.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use FlashLube Diesel Conditioner every so often in my CRD. The car seems to have a little more pep and is a little smoother but generally my engine runs well without it.
    The first time I used this stuff was on my old Pajero with the 2.8 TD motor which is very loud. It made a huge difference to the car and it was quieter and a lot smoother. These additives work better on older vehicles as they were designed for diesel with a higher sulphur content so the additives increase the lubrication in the injector pump. The CRD's run pretty well on the current low sulphur fuel so if you have a later model then maybe run the stuff every 6-12 months to keep injectors clean.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main purpose of diesel additive like chemtech diesel power is to stop algae growth (which grows on the water in the tank) / water dispersant - mixes the water all through the tank. Water is pretty much a death sentence for crd injectors and fuel pumps. Water can either be in the tank from a bad batch of fuel or build up by condensation. Either way, it's usually when you are out and about (using the max capacity of the fuel tank/ rough roads musing up the water so it finally makes its way into the fuel pick up.

Using diesel conditioner regularly helps prevent this stuff.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Wynns injector cleaner as a maintanence every so often and after reading a post in here tried the T2 which did make the old girl run a little quieter.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P4trol View Post
    Main purpose of diesel additive like chemtech diesel power is to stop algae growth (which grows on the water in the tank) / water dispersant - mixes the water all through the tank. Water is pretty much a death sentence for crd injectors and fuel pumps. Water can either be in the tank from a bad batch of fuel or build up by condensation. Either way, it's usually when you are out and about (using the max capacity of the fuel tank/ rough roads musing up the water so it finally makes its way into the fuel pick up.

Using diesel conditioner regularly helps prevent this stuff.
    Agree mostly but it is on initial start up that water causes the damage not out on the tracks.
    After the car sits for a while all the water molecules collect in the bottom of the tank and the fuel pick up.
    Start the vehicle and the system gets a gob full of water.

Bouncing around on the tracks will only cause issues with any contaminants that are lighter than Diesel

Edit - I should add that anyone using bio-diesel should definitely consider fuel additives that have water dispersant.
    bio-diesel has something like 3 times the ability over petro-diesel to absorb dissolved water which then finds it's way into the tank
    Last edited by the evil twin; 1st February 2015 at 01:46 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I like to put it in just before i go away knowing I'll use all the fuel in one tank.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use this every second tank. Flash Lube. Every second or third tank. Motor definitely runs quieter with a full tank mixed with this. Been using it with my navara way before I owned the pootrol, so just kept the tradition going. Don't know about claims regarding better fuel economy and/or power.
    I started using it when I got the pootrol even more because my car is from Coober Pedy orgiginally so who knows what type of diesel and/or contaminants it may have go over there so thought this may give it a cleanout and yeah, I just kept going with it.
    I get the stuff for nix through diesel mechanics at work, so why not. I doubt it's doing any harm tbh.

2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast