OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Road trip spares - what do you take?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Check all fluids every day, walk around the Patrol every day, even look underneath for anything out of the ordinary.
    Give your tyres a visual as well, Have jack and other tools in arms reach should they be required
    One of the things I try and get my customers to do (I'm in the machinery business) is to look at the ground where they park/store their machinery before parking, and then look again when picking up for the next usage. Look for fluid stains and try and see where they have come from. An small oil leak for instance is often more easily seen by the stain it leaves on the ground than a drip.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put many of my spares including hoses and belts in the rear quarter panel, the rest are packed inside the roof spare tyre.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liftlid View Post
    I put many of my spares including hoses and belts in the rear quarter panel, the rest are packed inside the roof spare tyre.
    great use of what would be useless space otherwise

main thing is to travel as light as you can, weight will only cause problems
    even with a GVM update all that means is you can take more, causing more problems
    Look back on RAFA's thread, his mighty 4.2 GU ute couldn't hack the rigours of the outback NT.
    research the area you are going too, working out everything you need to know.
    If travelling with others all meetup [pre trip] fully loaded and un pack all your gear, for EG you wont need 3 hi lift jacks etc
    Water would be your main concern a few smaller containers will be better than one big one in the event of a hole.
    Last edited by threedogs; 11th March 2015 at 10:15 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insurance covering all your extras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks - we've now got a pretty comprehensive list of what we're taking Vs what the other vehicle is taking.

We've also had 160,000km service done, which was a biggy. We got them to do the hoses at the same time, as they were doing the coolant anyway, so made sense.
    Service done by Nissan, as we're still under extended warranty for 18months, so cost a few $$ but worthwhile in my opinion.

Vehicle is running well - no leaks at all (parked in garage overnight with painted floor, so easy to spot any leaks).

I have a couple of slight concerns ....
    First:
    The CTEK dc-dc charger doesn't like extreme heat, which is unfortunate given it's position in the engine bay. Road driving on 40+ degree days (or soft sand driving on 35+ days where the engine is working hard) the thermal cutout takes over to preserve the battery .... which is good for the battery, but bad for the fridge temps. We'll be carrying enough food spares (non-fridge food) plus not expecting excess heat in April (hence it only being a slight concern)
    Anyone had this issue and done anything clever about it?

Second:
    The exhaust was bent about 12months ago during some 4x4 tyre driving, so the tailpipe was sticking out the side of the vehicle, almost touching the rear passenger tyre and mudguard. After having the suspension upgrade, the exhaust was also with 2mm of the suspension too, so we cut the tailpipe and the rear muffler off.
    No difference in the sound, but i'm guessing the exhaust fumes are likely to come in through the vehicle when stationary (not ideal, although we dont often sit with the engine running and not moving).
    Any thoughts on this? Are the fumes when travelling likely to be an issue? Is there any impact of not having this portion of the exhaust?

Thanks in advance!!
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To fix the problem with your DC-DC charger it should be mounted inside the cab somewhere. I know a few people who have mounted them underneath the dash out of site. In saying that though, it should be mounted as close as possible to the second battery.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    go to an exhaust place and they can fit a flanged rear section of exhaust for you.
    wouldn't break the bank I'd think, it may be un RW without it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bishbashbosh View Post
    Insurance covering all your extras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this is quite meaningful as Billy just rolled his Patrol a week or
    so back and has now been paid out and looking for his next patrol to mod.
    make sure your accessories are covered

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234