OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road trip spares - what do you take?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,411 Times in 6,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before my big trip I replaced all hoses and belts, and took the old ones with me as spares. I carried a spare shock absorber, all suspension arms I carried too.
    Did not use any of it but was good to have.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Before my big trip I replaced all hoses and belts, and took the old ones with me as spares. I carried a spare shock absorber, all suspension arms I carried too.
    Did not use any of it but was good to have.
    Yeah if you have got these as spares it would be good also the room to carry them. Apart from pretty much what everyone else has said. A belt and tensioner would be on top of my list.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A decent tyre repair kit would be up there on things to take .
    I leave mine in the 4x4 all the time
    Last edited by threedogs; 4th March 2015 at 01:53 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 4,651 Times in 3,120 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tube to suit your tyre size is as good as a spare too
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks - sorry been busy and slack at replying!

So, in answer to some of the recent questions ....
    Not towing, and will only running roof bars with shovel, otherwise everything else inside vehicle.
    Tyres got good tread - guessing 70% tread left, plus spare is brand new. We have a tyre repair kit with plugs etc.

We leave in 4 weeks, so getting down to fine detail now about what we're taking! Eeeek!

Patrol is booked in for 160,000km service on Friday with Nissan (still under warranty and the Nissan garage have been awesome). The service is a major one (our first major since we bought it with 143,000 in mid 2013) so as well as the major service items we'll prob get them to do the belts and major hoses. Then we'll keep the old ones as spares.

Not sure if people will see it on this thread, or if i should start a new one .... I have questions about Sat Phones, Vs EPIRBs, Vs devices such as the Spot Gen 3 or the InReach Explorer .... Ideally we're looking for navgation/waypoint marker device with an SOS facility too (covers both bases in one device) but interested in any thoughts on these
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sat phone for me that way you can call who you need to, you don't always need a rescue and the family can contact you if emergency at home.
    Next I would go HF radio with it you could contact somebody only a few klicks from you that could help if in trouble.
    Then epirb they work but are a bit clunky and more of a "I'm going to die" response

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where you are going is not really remote any more. One of the greatest dangers you have where you are going is a vehicle accident (someone running in to you) because there is a "time window" where the weather out there is ideal and as such everyone goes there at the same time. If something happens to you it will only be a short period of time before someone will come along.

Having said that it does not hurt to have emergency communications along. A sat phone is by far the most useful - relatively expensive - but very useful. You can rent them now at a reasonable cost and if you have a few people going on the trip you can share the cost. HF radio is expensive to buy and bulky/heavy to install and you would have to be a member of the VKS-737 network. Also you have to have a reasonable knowledge of radio procedure, frequecy charts, antenna tuning, etc. Spot is useless in an emergency as there is no guarantee that someone is monitoring the other end when you really need them. EPIRBs are good but again, where you are going help would arrive before the emergency services responded to the EPIRB.

Our Club regularly runs trips to such areas and usually someone hires a sat phone and the rest share the cost.
    Last edited by BillsGU; 4th March 2015 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,411 Times in 6,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah if you have got these as spares it would be good also the room to carry them. Apart from pretty much what everyone else has said. A belt and tensioner would be on top of my list.
    I keep them all under the back seats.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've cable tied hoses etc onto the cargo barrier, best advice is drive to the conditions,It's never been a race
    dont second guess yourself as your first thought was probably the best. travel as light as is practical
    Check all fluids every day, walk around the Patrol every day, even look undeneath for anything out of the ordinary.
    Give your tyres a visual as well, Have jack and other tools in arms reach should they be required
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the advice threedogs,

Great for a young lad starting out like myself,

Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast