User Tag List

Thread: 03 Patrol issues.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

03 Patrol issues.

G'day guys, just brought my first Patrol and I have a few issues and questions I am hoping you can help me with!
    I have a 2003 Patrol wagon, GU||| ST diesel 4 cyclinder. 285000Ks, manual.

So I picked it up last week private sale, $13700. I start my new job in the Kimberleys on the 16th of Feb so I am leaving Melbourne on the 2nd of Feb. I am going to do the Oodnadatta track on the way, then head over to Alice and travel via the Mereenie loop to Kings canyon so I can see a few friends, then head back to Alice and take the Tanami track up to the Kimberleys!

The car is pretty stock, it has a snorkel and spotlights, alloy front bar and ladder racks. I had a second battery fitted a few days ago to run my WAECO fridge and had a UHF installed.

I will be towing a small 4x6 tradies trailer with me and will hopefully be able to find a second rim and tyre this week to take with me for the car.

So a few issues/questions.

1. I went away camping this weekend with the car towing a trailer and the check engine light came on not long after I hit the dirt road. I checked the water and oil and everything I could but couldn't find any issues. Turned the car off for 5 minutes and it went off and comes back on after a few more minutes of driving. Not sure if it is just a censor or what, any ideas? It is due for a service and will be getting that done this week.

2. How do I know if the hubs are on auto or lock? Is it best to just leave them in auto? If they are in auto does that mean if I put the car into 4wd I don't need to get out and lock them?

3. When I had my Ford the "recommended" tyre pressure was 32PSI, I ran them between 36 and 38. Ride was not a comfortable but tyre had better grip and lasted longer. What is the best PSI for the Nissan? What is the best PSI to have for dirt roads?

4. What fuel consumption should I expect? The trailer isn't heavy, (about 600Kgs), I don't "flog" my cars and expect to be sitting on about 100KPH with the cruise control set.

5. Issue with the back door, when I go on bumpy or dirt roads the censor or something must be loose because the light on the dash comes on to say a door is open, which is also obviously causing the center light to go, off, on, off, ect. Has anyone else had this issue? Apart from just turning the door light off is there anything else?

Cheers in advance guys, Daniel.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

Kalchris (27th January 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Daniel what part of Melb are you. I'll try and see if I can answer
    No1 you might find that check engine light will go away after the service and the fuel filter is changed. check all fuel lines for cracks or signs of old age
    No2 Leave them in auto you only need to lock them on very knarly terrain
    No3 maybe 38psi for hwy 35psi around town and 30psi on outback roads maybe lower depending on which road you're on.
    No4 towing I'd think you would get abot 16-17lt/100 Ks, depending on speed and terrain
    No5 have a search you will find heaps on adjusting it
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I tell if it is in auto or lock? I'm assuming it's in auto as it's mainly been driven around town by previous owner, but you know what they say about assuming!

Also if anyone has any tips for the Oodnadatta track or Tanami track that would be great!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hub has a centre which you can turn with the wheel brace.... This part has red arrows which point to either the Auto or Lock, depending on where it is.

Auto means the hub will sense drive to the shaft, and put power to the wheels. You can run the risk of it unlocking in reverse.

Lock means it has fully locked the hub to the axle, and will always drive the wheel.

I dont hardly bother locking the hubs.....only when I know I am out for a week or so...it generally works fine in auto
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oodnadatta Track is just like a huge highway, but dirt, and can get chopped up after heavy rain...hence why they close the roads at these times.

Tanami Track is the same, but generally a bit rougher 200 klms in from either end

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8doi.jpg

See red arrows in the centre ring

Thanks
    Mentioned