Thread: Empty Rod holders

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Really unless you were a professional fisherman, but I can't even see them using them.
    We used to cart our surf rods around wired to the door handles but you cant do that on modern cars.
    Whats wrong with carrying them on your roof rack, tie the front down and place a flag maybe on the back
    if too long, see just saved you $50 from buying the stupid things in the first place
    you do know that would have been illegal in it's day aswell..like a javlin or spear..tsk tsk you rebel
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always take mine off when not in use.

For those of you in QLD

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Veh...s.aspx#fishing

There are also links to the Minor Modifications on this link e.g. Aerials, Lift Kits, Exhaust etc

Cheers

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hempo For This Useful Post:

Hardyards (28th January 2015), mudnut (28th January 2015), Wizard52 (28th January 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rod holder comes off as soon as I get home from the beach as part of the cleaning process and takes an extra 3 minutes.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do understand why there illegal and don't use them and respect the law and peoples opinions on there use, it just sh!ts me how over regulated some things can be, but maybe I'm biased somewhat as I used to be a fishing guide and someone who could of used them most days and it would of been a hindrance taking them on and of just to go down and do some shopping and then put them back on again for work again the next day or even for an afternoon charter if no morning charters for example, maybe there should be exemptions to the rule but given the laws I never used them because of this, they could of been useful and better at times for me and my work if it was not such a pain with fitting and removing or running the risk of a fine and the looks and comments by others when not in use if you did have them fitted.

I did get pulled over one time due to having the rods mounted in the rear rod holders of the estuary/river boat, we could fit 8 across the rod holders above the bait board and engine, and looked really nice when stowed that way especially for the customers and was also less hassle for me with tangled rods and knocking them around ect, all securely tied in, I was asked to take them down and stow on the boats floor, which raised my concern that these could become a projectile in an accident but I didn mention it and just done as asked, got no fine out of it and moved on.
    Last edited by SG1; 29th January 2015 at 10:57 AM.
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's it. They are easy things to pick on, and fishermen are probably easy to approach.

(why do animal activists pick on ladies wearing mink coats? Because it's easier than picking on bikies in leather jackets!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

Crate (31st January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P4trol View Post
    I think that's it. They are easy things to pick on, and fishermen are probably easy to approach.

(why do animal activists pick on ladies wearing mink coats? Because it's easier than picking on bikies in leather jackets!)
    Hahaha I can just imagine a bunch of greenies charging into a hells angels bar yelling about leather and how well that would go for them :-P
    GQ highmount, lockers, barwork, 3-Link front, long arms, V8, cage, duct tape, cable ties and 35's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crate For This Useful Post:

mudnut (31st January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put your rods on the roof
    2013 GU ST 3.0 CRD TD, Alloy Bar, UHF, ARB Roof Rack

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So rod holders are illegal, side mirrors have to fold backwards for similar reasons.
    What about bull bar mounted rack bars? .
    you know so you can support something much longer than the roof top.
    The pedestrian law would prob make them illegal also.
    Its a solid object that would not allow a body to flex over the bar.
    Instead reflect off and underneath and defeat the purpose of the law also.
    Tow balls come off when not in use as they punch holes in cars in rear enders,insurance company's had a winge.
    So should rod holders its the same principle, only now someones life's at stake.

led light bars have to be mounted in pairs as the laws require, get that one ! have a couple of pages on that one.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard a bloke got defected in far north sa because the country copper counted each LED as a forward facing light

(Regency laughed that one off and scrubbed the defect tho)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wa 489 View Post
    you do know that would have been illegal in it's day aswell..like a javlin or spear..tsk tsk you rebel
    No spear effect they were tied to the handle of a FC station wagon , surf rods back then made from Indian bamboo were aroung the 17 foot mark.
    Usually with a 7000s egg beater of a 6" Alvey side cast.
    Someone did come up with a gutter [roof] mount but they were cheap and nasty. The other alternative was to use two surf racks
    as they were called tie the rods to them then tie the front dow to the grill and hang a flag off the back.
    Talking illegal I used to go to footy when about 9-10yo in the back of a ute with 8 other kids, seemed normal ATT
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast