OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cairns hammilton island and all the worlds(sea-movie)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

cairns hammilton island and all the worlds(sea-movie)

I am looking for info and ideas from people that have been here or stayed.looking for recommendations of nice places to stay with the family and must see and do's in the area.My daughter is getting married over on Hamilton island so I reckon i'll be there anywhere from 5 to 8 days..hopefully we will be able to hire a 4b and do the cape or atleast a bit of 4wd-ing and camping for a week maybe 2.then we'll have to go and do all the worlds as my kids are in there teens by then and it'll be a once in a lifetime opportunity seeing we are there we might aswell..

cheers..
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,477 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know mate but I do know the plumber on Hamilton Island.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

Avo (26th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    been looking at airfares and the cost of fuel..fuels a little more but then no need to hire a car..the other thing is i'll have to see if I can get more then 4 weeks off if we are driving
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you good places to swim lol, depending on time of year you will want to swim often lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Avo (26th January 2015)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure which of the 'worlds' you have in mind. Mostly they are all at the Gold Coast aren't they?

Whilst at Hammo, you'd be perfectly placed for a bit of a Whitsunday's cruise for a day or two. Black Beach, just to the North of Mackay is always nice for a stop-over.

Townsville has Reef HQ and a pretty flash aquarium and esplanade, where the view in the mornings is always top-notch...

The drive North to Cairns has plenty of options and the area around Mission Beach is a favourite, with a few different day-drives that can be done. Take the kids to the reef while you are here and in my opinion, do the trip from Pt Douglas, as I reckon they go to a bit nicer reef. Avoid Green Island, that's is for the tourists who step off the plan from Nagasaki...

The Cape is a trip in itself with plenty of different options, all of which have been spoken about by many on this forum, but happy to help if you need some specifics.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Avo (26th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah mate all of the worlds are lower.but we have to do it if we go that far...planning as little time as possible on Hamilton island,most up cairns and further just5 camping and 4wding and maybe a week on the GC..it's not till april 2016 but I gotta start with things to see and do and go from there..would be great to do the cape,not sure how long but I'd be able to fit 1 week maybe a little more to get there and back and then go to the worlds..once in a lifetime opportunity really..as you can see where on the other side right down the bottom.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cape in April can be a close call with late weather issues. The road is now excellent, with more patches of bitumen going in everywhere, but it can still be very wet, particularly if you are going to run up the Tele track, which of course you should!

You can do the Cape in a week no worries, but you might need to skip things like the Frenchman's Track and most of the Tele Track due to likely water levels and the time it takes. There is still plenty to see though, and less people up there, which is a major plus in my books. Lakefield NP will be closed, Mungkan Kanju NP will most likely be closed, but Chilli Beach, Captain Billy's Landing, Vrylia Point, Punsand Bay, etc. etc. will all be accessible, and a lot of the OTL will be fine.

Don't forget the Maytown Track either - one of my favourite parts of the Cape and an awesome two days of scenic driving.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Avo (27th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have booked airfares to Brisbane return....hamilton island booked..so far it looks like around 9 days in the Cairns area...I know what you mean about being a little bit dicey that early..went to Darwin the other year and all it did was rain..too early...have a friend in Cairns hoping to catch up with him but also hire a 4wd and do a bit of camping and travelling around that area..then fly back or hire car to Gold Coast and do all the world with the deliquents..it's coming together slowly..Gal;d you mentioned that aboutr green island as we have been told to go do it..hate crowds and we are going to be over there on the school holidays..so best we avoid that one..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this is a pic my mate sent me as a teaser to come and catch up in cairns...how can one say no....I'm there with me esky
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could tell you where to go drinking in the Whitsundays but my brother lives a couple hrs south he does go camping/4wding a bit around that area..
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to garett For This Useful Post:

Avo (15th September 2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast