Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beach driving high temps and bad smell

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krbrooking View Post
    Don't quote me but he might have meant high range, as to be sitting in 4th or 5th low you would have to be doing around 80 od k/hr and I would not suggest doing that sort of speed along the beach unless it is very well compacted and then you would not really need 4wd drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    16 psi in the tires and definitely 4L which was around 30 km/h in 4th from memory, certainly not 80 km/h. (High range 5th is highway speeds 110 km/h)
    I tried 3rd gear high range (4H) but it bogged down.
    I started off in second and it was too slow to keep any forward motion. Got into 4th and 5th on the harder sand after my paranoid mate worked out that we weren't going in the drink but it still had a bad smell on the hard sand.
    Reason for low range was because my previous beach trip in high with range same tyre pressure ended up with the same foul smell plus a mate who does a fair bit of beach driving suggested low range for soft sand otherwise you'll put too much stress on the motor because low range supposedly reduces the strain on the driveline because of the reduction.
    Last edited by mjr350; 24th January 2015 at 02:58 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is your problem...Your tyre pressures are too high.
    The comment about bogging down in 3rd is the giveaway.

If you have to maintain that amount of speed so you don't "bog down" you are getting the flotation not from the tyres but from speed like a boat planing.
    If your tyre pressure is correct you should be able to swan around at whatever speed and gear you choose, indeed, that reduces temps and loads dramatically and also allows you to use a lower gears.

You will be amazed at how much difference a couple of PSI will make and every truck and tyre combo is different.
    Flotation isn't linear IE the difference between 14 and 16 PSI is a magnitude above the difference between 18 and 20 say.
    So I suggest trying 14 PSI (or even 12) next time you are in the soft stuff and see how you go.
    You should be able to stop, start, crawl along in 2nd or tonk along in 3rd or 4th no worries
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    just go easy turning or you'll peel a tyre off
    quicker than you can skin a cat at those lower pressures
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    just go easy turning or you'll peel a tyre off
    quicker than you can skin a cat at those lower pressures
    Agree, you do have to be aware thats for sure.

We have to run down to 10 in some places over here, again depending on vehicle, tyres and load, occasionally 12 but 14 is reasonably common on some parts of the coast.

You have to go pretty hard to peel off a safety rim and like many others Yes, I've done it, totally laziness and driver error and on a track not open sand.
    It is certainly easy to get shit in the bead if you get over enthusiastic on the steering inputs tho
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. I thought about dropping further but the idea was to hit the wet sand asap but my mate almost went to grab the wheel out of my hands thinking we would get bogged by the waters edge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr350 View Post
    snip...
    my mate almost went to grab the wheel out of my hands thinking we would get bogged by the waters edge.
    Handcuff his wrists to the Jesus handle, ban him to the back seat or find a more chilled out mate (just jokin).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,668 Times in 3,127 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I think everyone is different.
    Today most beaches it was L4 4th and 5th just cruzing along.
    The reason is the beaches and short and the dunes are SOFT AS MELTED ICECREAM!!!
    I sunk 10-12 inches walking them.
    We got into one spot. Spent 2 hours getting out.
    Anyway back to op's original question.
    I think it's possibly so oil on the block maybe. Or even exhaust manifold.
    If the smell is now gone I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (25th January 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil vapour on exhaust or clutch is most likely as vehicle is working too hard for too long.
    I've learnt the hard way over the last almost 40 years of driving on Fraser. If possible to get bogged in any way-I probably have done it.
    However the older we get the wiser we get-allegedly.
    To reduce load on vehicle, tyre pressure is the most important thing. Then in some sort of order are --momentum, total weight, tyre type, beach conditions, driver experience, engine type, amount of clearance and a lot of luck.
    In the "good old" days, blokes with the old rovers and beach buggies used to put aircraft tyres on with no tread so they could float over the loose sand. Worked well but illegal for the road.
    I always use high range no matter what "the magazine" says and only go to low range when travelling over the rocks or the tracks behind Middle Rock and Waddy so I can reduce speed and not for traction. At all times I go looking for the hard sand at water's edge (in 2wd drive) even on rising tide and regularly at night time as we have to return to camp after dark as best fishing is late afternoon/early evening on rising tide and I hate getting up early.
    The 7 klm south of Indian Head at high tide is probably the hardest bit of beach as it is chewed up so much so momentum in 2nd or 3rd high is your best friend but not necessarily so fast so engine is revving to high and speed to high- if that makes any sense. If there is an obvious "main" track through the soft sand, stick to it as others have compacted the sand for you. Only problem is if your clearance is too low like 80's and 100's the spare tyre below acts as a plough which is good for us as it lowers the mound in middle.
    Just make it easier for the vehicle and yourself.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second the info Wizard52 has said , after family living on the Island ( Yidney Rocks ) for over 30 years & father ( Yidney Jack ) owning the 1st island based tow truck & than first tilt tray . I have hardly ever used low range on the actual beach .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,668 Times in 3,127 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said every situation is different.
    The beach below was a solid beach on the tide line.
    But this hill I was sinking in a good 10 inches up my shin.
    Had him at 10psi, max tracks and a double line winch.

IMG_67238622596130.jpeg

Took an hour. And still 2 to make it up..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast