Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Relieving Engine Bay temps - ventilation

Thanks
    Thanked 20,845 Times in 8,605 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm really interested to hear from anyone who has tried that Evans waterless coolant.

That ship is expensive but would love to get any feedback?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,129 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I'm really interested to hear from anyone who has tried that Evans waterless coolant. That ship is expensive but would love to get any feedback?
    Well don't be shy. Jump in and try...
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm really interested to hear from anyone who has tried that Evans waterless coolant.

I have read about it but would worry that if you did stake a radiator or something in the bush and lost it, can you go back to water to get out of trouble.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just saw the ad on SBS and was going to post but you beat me to it.
    there are three different types, My BIL used backhoe coolant in his 302 powered 75s ute.
    not sure how it went as we all went down the John Bennet road and all was cured
    http://www.evanscoolants.com/evans_w...ants_faqs.html

just doing some searching and found most prefer to use Redline water wetter and water
    to keep temps down, as Evans raises your temps slightly, including oil temps
    Last edited by threedogs; 2nd March 2015 at 09:22 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,447 Times in 6,268 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought it was just to prevent corrosion, not improve cooling efficiency.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It would lift your boiling point ,plus give you Anti freeze.
    as well as what you said anti corrosion, more a 3 in 1

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, just for interests sake, I pulled the thermo coupling off my transmission pan, with the idea of attaching it in different places around the engine bay to try and gauge just how hot the engine bay gets compared to the the second thermo coupling which is mounted on the thermostat housing. The temps are being monitored from the cab via the Engine Watchdog.

So far, the bracket holding the start battery down regularly gets into the 70 degrees celsius range and seems to be generally around ten degrees less than the thermostat housing under the varying driving conditions and temps.

More to follow...
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Clunk (26th March 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a bit of a test when I raised the back of the bonnet on some spacers. It is simple to do
    Just tape some bits of wool about 4 inches (10cm for those younger than 40) to the bonnet near the gap.
    On My Mk the air flow was down not up!
    It follows that the air was going out underneath as happens with formule 1 fairing.
    It also follows that means less air through the radiator. as the evil twin suggests.
    I fitted twin falcon electric fans with little improvement.
    Ended up fitting a 3 core radiator and that has made it better but it is still not happy in LowLow in the bush on a hot day.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the low speed stuff where mine gets hot as well. I reckon the lifting of the bonnet at the rear would work at low speed, but not at higher speeds due to the well documented pressure differences at the base of the windscreen.

Venting of the bonnet seems to be an option for constant low-speed heat issues, but I'll try and get a semi-decent understanding of my engine bay temps before making any radical decision on bonnet venting though. Bonnet venting at high speed is also very effective if the vents are placed correctly in the low pressure zones.

I currently have the thermocouple attached to the front of the Top Mount Intercooler, directly above the engine. Temps here also similarly rise into the mid-70's at low speeds or idle, but drop a lot faster when on the move. When driving, the temps typically sit anywhere from 15 - 20C lower than the top of the Thermostat, and probably 5 to 10 degrees lower than the battery area. eg. if my Thermostat is sitting on a constant 80C, then the front mount of the intercooler can be anywhere from 60-65C. I assume this is due to the amount of air flowing through it when moving.

Next I will move the thermocouple over to the top of the air-box, or perhaps behind the radiator overflow reservoir on the passengers side.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I find it hard to believe only one patrol here is suffering from "HEAT BLOCK" after all the problems I had with my 350 chev troopy in a triangle shaped engine bay, Rob Kay from ARB Northern even made a perspex bonnet to check air flow.
    To the best of my knowledge I think your problem is your radiator.
    all the others with the 6.5 chev have had teething problems but nothing like you are having.
    if fitting the vents on the bonnet dont help Id be looking seriously at a new radiator fan set up.
    Even the fan can make a huge difference , I fitted a steel 5 blade,, noisey as but cooled down the motor
    6 blade plastic was OK and the OE clutch fan worked well also, then you need to have the shroud properly made with the fan
    in the right position in with the shroud a little out and youll have problems.
    Trust me Ive spent thousands of $$$$ and many different set ups getting it right over many years
    it was a work in progress

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast