User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crd engine problems

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 07 CRD as well. I was getting the screech when the car was cold and the turbo is leaking a lot of oil into the intercooler. I thought it was the turbo but it turned out I had a broken exhaust manifold stud. Now fixed and car runs better than it has in a long time. My mechanic had a look at the turbo and said it was showing signs of wear but was still working OK. Boost is good and no strange noises but from what everyone is saying I might be up for a new one in the future. This turbo has run for 145000km (unless replaced be previous owner) so hoping I make 200k.

Does anyone know why the early CRD's have turbo problems and not the Di's before them? Aren't they the same turbo on both engines?

E.T. Three turbos in the same distance that my car has travelled. That's just nuts! While mine is weeping oil it's still running well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post

E.T. Three turbos in the same distance that my car has travelled. That's just nuts! While mine is weeping oil it's still running well.
    1st one the studs tore out at the dump pipe at under 40K
    2nd one started making 'orrible noises at 130K ish
    3rd one was OK when I sold it
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Anyone close by that can have a look with, you might be able to nut it out with 2 heads
    I have had several heads to nut it out I just keep going back to the turbo but I will powder the manifold in the morning
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Could be an exhaust leak or indeed a combination of issues but classic turbo failure symptons if it is dumping oil in the I/C.

My '07 CRD was on it's third Turbo at 140,000
    yes there is probably a small leak in the manifold under the turbo
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kev. So do you have a snorkel ?
    If so. Jump in the passenger seat open the window and turn the ram head backwards so it faces the window .
    Go for a drive.

When this "noise" kicks in, you will hear a clear mechanical sound coming through snorkel if it is the same issue as mine.

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin07 View Post
    07 crd I think it is the turbo. just above idle when it starts boosting it has a loud screech that starts. there is excessive blow by and oil going through the turbo. (catch can is fitted) no smoke from the exhaust. I put a screw driver on the turbo and its noisy and when I disconnect the turbo via the hose the noise stops also no noise from top of motor and I took the drive belt off and had a listen under there and the screech it still there and the only noise I can here under there with screw driver is near the timing chain other than that im no idea. edit no loss of power or boost
    ok troll is fixed warped manifold and it also causes excessive blow by. so all the blow by has stopped and the egts are lower go figure ay these bloody modern motors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin07 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah they are highly strung fussy buggers, good to see you got it sorted.
    I wonder if turbo heat causes this problem, only saying as been doing a little reading on thermal dynamics
    Thats why well one reason I fitted the turbo beanie , to eliminate hot spots along the manifold.
    My EGTs now go down to 150 at idle, never did that before the beanie,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok troll is fixed warped manifold and it also causes excessive blow by. so all the blow by has stopped and the egts are lower go figure ay these bloody modern motors
    Good to hear it wasn't turbo. Mine also had excessive blow by so hopefully that was cured on my car as well. Only time will tell. I think with these motors you have to keep on top of the problems that seem minor at first as they can affect other parts of its operation. A bit of whistling here, a bit of oil on intercooler there can lead to more serious problems down the track. It's a very complex system and everything is interdependent, let one get out of sync and it affects the rest. Since getting my exhaust manifold fixed and the Dawes valve the car has never run better. It been 18 months since I started repairing things (intercooler) and finally I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well maybe I should go back to the drawing board and get my noise re-assessed too.
    What was the $ damage if you don't mind me asking Kev. Do they simply slap a new manifold on ?

And excuse my mechanical (or lack of) knowledge, but how does a warped manifold cause blow-by ? I originally thought my IC and catch can get filled with oil due to a turbo seal, which may still be the case. But this now has some ground as Kev has same symptoms (or similar) as me.
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

threedogs (18th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked a bloke at work who is a mechanic he was explaining it to me but I was on my way home so not listening . but basically he was saying the leak is causing back pressure back into the motor, for now that's all I will ask him again. and I had a lot of blow by and not knowing better I was thinking mine was terminal but it wasn't.
    damage was a lot $1600 at Nissan so it was over the top yes but new studs were $350 and new egr pipe as well as it was split I had to take out the egr block removing couple of broken studs. including 1 with an ezy out in it but its good now and no blow by smoking its head off

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin07 For This Useful Post:

jack (18th February 2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12