Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another TB42 to TD42 Conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    December 6th 2014
    Today I took a run down to a mates workshop and picked up my TD42 radiator he sold me after upgrading, he also still had his old bell housing form the TB42 and he mentioned that he thought that the only difference between the TD & TB was the third hole in the casting for the starter motor, but wasn’t sure, however if I wanted to take the bell housing away with me to have a look at and modify it myself if possible, I could have it for nothing.

Well I figured what the hell, I may as well offer it up to the sandwich plate on the TD42 and have a look. So I took it away and had a bit of a measure up, unfortunately the TB42 housing is a different size starter casting as the sandwich plate holes for the starter were way off as was the size of the hole in the housing for the starter motor. I will start looking around for one I guess.

TD42 Radiator.jpg

TD42 TB42.jpg
    After finding a bell housing - here are the differences. TD42 is on the right obviously
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7th December 2014
    Today was a cleaning day….. I was bored at home so I cleaned all the red mud out of my TD42 radiator and cleaned up the standard Diesel tank and gave it a bit of a respray. I think from a rare spares point of view I’m now covered and good to start the rebuild as soon as possible.

Tank respray.jpg
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16th December 2014:
    I have been having some thoughts on the motor and compliance with the VicRoads requirements, I have been trying to obtain information on whether I need to get a VASS engineers certificate for the GQ with a standard GU TD42t setup. It seems like madness to me that I need an emissions test on a factory motor setup that bolts directly into a car with no modifications structurally. Given that the police love an easy life and spend a lot of resources revenue raising by defecting GQ’s, I am keen to keep on the right side of the VicRoads regulations here, cos let’s face it, I would love to tell the copper to get stuffed and go check the mod plate on the car ! 
    So information was conflicted and misleading, some says yes some say nah shell be right mate…. However the facts are: Firstly the GQ came with a TD42NA motor option, so that’s fine on its own, but as soon as a turbo is bolted on --- Your in da shit. Yes a safari turbo (which is a factory GQ turbo diesel) exists, but it was not released in Australia, hence no GQ turbo model was offered in Australia, and thus any GQ with a Turbo is not ADR compliant and needs VASS. So to clarify this and avoid any further conflicts of opinions I contacted a VASS engineer personally and here it is straight from the horse’s mouth…

“Hi Andy,
    You most likely need a VASS certificate for this conversion. Vic Roads request one for this type of engine conversion and the change of fuel type. And a vehicle modification plate will have to be attached to it. If the turbo diesel will be fitted to your vehicle in the same configuration as it was originally fitted to GU, that is the engine, turbo charger, intake system, engine management system, then no emissions test would be required.
    We will inspect the work done, do the noise test and document all the other changes (vacuum pump for the booster, booster itself and its compatibility with the foundation brakes, any additional warning lamps, like the low vacuum warning, conversion of the fuel system including fuel tank venting, any modifications to the electrical system that may have affected operation of the other systems etc.” Cost would be approx. $480 + GST”

So having confirmed this and at a cost of $480 + GST to have it legal, it’s a no brainer for me after the money I will be spending on the motor. I may as well build it to the spec I want, have it Engineered and then go to VicRoads with the ticket to get it mod plated, rather than mess about building it to TD42NA then going to VicRoads to get it inspected and the fuel type changed over then coming back bolting on my turbo setup and then running the gauntlet with the state revenue raisers, especially as I will be doing a fair few high county trips and the cops up there are notorious for being A-Holes towards 4wders.
    I now have a clear idea of the motor that I am going to build, it will be pretty much a stock standard TD42 GU motor Intercooled & running a HT18 low mount turbo. VASS certified. If I can change out the engine harness to keep it stock I will, if not then I will adapt and move on.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

threedogs (16th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18th December 2014.
    I found a factory GU TD42 intercooler on gumtree for $200 ono, it was in Sale, but as I am heading to Maffra / Heyfield for new year, asked for some pictures and if we could arrange to meet for pick up near Maffra, I got some pics sent through and it looks good, the guy has accepted $150 and plus another result .. His dad lives in Maffra so it looks like that fell into place nicely.

So that’s pretty much it for 2014…. No more purchases or progress is intended for 2014 and nor will much occur in the first part of 2015 unless I find a real bargain, due to land title and house build so I need to stop spending dollars…….
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    January 11th 2015
    As my land title has now officially been delayed until June 2015 and building won’t even start til about end of July / early August 2015 it looks like I will be building the motor before my house. So the project is back on. While I was away over New Year’s I stopped off in Maffra as planned and picked up my intercooler, this has now been put with all my other bits n bobs ready for the re-assembly process…

When I returned from holidays, I started to strip out the block, I spent a few hours pulling the motor down ready for cleaning and sending to the machine shop. I have now removed the sump, the front timing cover, removed the diesel injector pump, the vacuum pump, camshaft, cam followers, idler gear and the timing cover backing plate.
    Next on the list will be to remove each big end bearing cap and then the crankshaft, retract each of the pistons still connected to the con rods and discard them as they will all be replaced with new pistons and connecting rods from the rebuild kit from Engines Australia.

So now the block has been stripped all the shell bearings were in great shape and the internals looked great, it seems like the motor is in much better condition than the previous owner thought. Next, both the cylinder head & block will then be 100% soaked in de-greaser and taken to my machinist with my camshaft, crankshaft, flywheel, harmonic balancer.
    Hopefully all this can happen in the next 4 weeks, if I get the other half of my bonus that I am owed at work. If so we’re good to go, I can then order my rebuild kit knowing what size bearings I will need, the new con rods & Teflon and ceramic coated pistons will be ordered and delivered direct to the machine shop for balancing. Exciting times ahead.

20150112_195222.jpg

20150112_204422.jpg

20150112_204400.jpg

20150112_203449.jpg
    THESE ARE THE STANDARD TD42 OIL SQUIRTERS / JETS UNDER THE PISTONS, THE NEW ONES ARE LONGER AT THE ELBOW
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last update for now - 20th January

I have managed to sort out my finances and have booked my motor in for machining on the 21st February.
    I will order the rebuild kit when I know what size bearings I need (Machinist to advise)

I will try to get the machinist to take some action shots for the archives

Will post another update as soon as something happens.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good man, thanks for all the posts. Good luck with it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to krbrooking For This Useful Post:

Andyh (21st January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write- up mate, very informative and entertaining. Wishing you nothing but good luck from here on.......
    2006 GUIV DX 4.2 TDI Ute, Bullbar with Warn winch, Narva round spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, 2 x Narva spotties an 80W solor panel on roof, Custom tray, 3" Redback exhaust, Bluemax 2 - EGT/Boost Oil press/Temp and dual volt gauges, Lifted, front locked and fully loaded......
    If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardyards For This Useful Post:

Andyh (21st January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading your first post took me back. Did the conversion on mine a few years ago, for the same reasons, bloody unreliable, no range, power was good sometimes. . . but then frustratingly not others. I'm sure you'll be very happy with especially as it will be fresh as and legal. It is a pain with the tightening legalities these days, I have a reputable aftermarket safari kit but by the books could get stung. I ended up modifying the existing wiring with a manual glow, which works well, using a loom gives a nice finish but both work. Good luck and enjoy it, looks like fun.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Andyh (21st January 2015), Bloodyaussie (20th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys,

Yes i would be keen to change over the loom, but i am finding that a SII Loom is rarer than rocking horse poo..
    If i can get one, and its in good condition, i really don't want electrical headaches i will change it over, however knowing my electrics are are 100% reliable, i will have no problem just adapting, as long as the vass engineer doesn't have a drama with it...

Been looking at Turbos, any feedback on the HT18 turbo? I have no idea how much power it will make, like i say im only looking for about 14psi with a 3" exhaust and intercooler setup?
    I know that there are better turbos for sure, but bear in mind that i want to mod plate it, so it will have to be something like OEM on the GU. (What i upgrade to later down the track might be a new story all together

Cheers
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast