Thread: Another TB42 to TD42 Conversion

us poms are crap at cricket fracster's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 387 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like reading these threads, some of you guys are pretty damned good at this sort of stuff.
    It is now official, we are not quite so sh@t at cricket as we were! Rugby Union is a different matter.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fracster For This Useful Post:

Andyh (6th May 2015), Bloodyaussie (6th May 2015), threedogs (6th May 2015), Winnie (6th May 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that or were all just incredibly lucky....
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so now its getting close i thought i had better get some Boost and Pyro gauges sorted out...

I have seen some gauges I like, I think I am going to go with the EVO led type, they look quite good, time will tell i guess.

Am i correct in assuming that a good EGT should not go over about 400 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfvDBA1DBI0
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for another update.

I have just had an epic weekend in the shed with the poo-troll, I started with a trip to patrol-a-apart on Saturday morning to pick up my TD42t exhaust manifold, while I was there I also picked up a new fuel tank sender and a 2 gauge pillar pod, unfortunately I didn’t get a lot else done on the Saturday due to other things that I needed to do, but I did get around to fitting the turbo and manifold to the block and then clocking and aligning the turbo body to suit.

Finally I managed to get into it on Sunday for a full on day with the help of my daughter’s boyfriend I finally managed to get the flywheel & clutch fitted onto the Diesel motor, but again this was not without a few dramas of its own, firstly I am so glad that I checked the clutch plate on the gearbox spindle because yep, I had been given the wrong size clutch plate. There is no way in hell this clutch would have allowed me to refit the motor to the gearbox, so I am so glad I checked it first… Anyway, I had a backup plan which luckily worked out ok, the clutch out of the TB42 is the same as the TD and the TB Clutch looked like a brand spanker anyway so that was it, I removed the TB clutch and fitted it to the TD. If the clutch fails later down the track, it will be going into the shop to be replaced, cos I’m not going through that again!

Ok so clutch now aligned and fitted ok, it was time for the Diesel to be dropped in the gaping hole in the front of the troll… LOL and here we were engine hoisted on the lift as far as it would go and it still didn’t clear the front slam panel, so after I let the tyres down it just snuck over the front and was ready to be lowered into position. The motor was lowered into the hole and with a little bit of messing around we finally got it in the right position to be pushed up to the gearbox.

Here’s where the fun really started, it was an absolute pig to get the engine on the clutch spline, my previous experience of changing clutches out had taught me these things either go really well first time or they are a royal pain in the arse, and it looked like mine was going to be a pain in the arse. It was a little difficult to get the motor and transmission aligned to the point of a jiggle and push would see the two parts mate up, but alas no matter what I did it wouldn’t go on.

About 10 mins into the game Deano popped over to lend a hand and eventually after about 40 mins we finally had the motor on the gearbox. The main problem I had here was I must have been so engrossed in the fitting of the motor I forgot to put the gearbox in gear.. lol so every time I jiggled the motor to try to get the spline to align, the spindle on the box just spun.. lol Doh !

From here on in we had to get the motor back on the engine mounts, here was my next mistake, I used the GU mounts (TD mounts and the TB rubbers) lol I mixed them up during the removal by mistake so needless to say this want going to work, It’s a good Job that Scuba Stu turned up to lend a hand also as he was the one who lead me to think wrong mounts!! … Oh dear, oh well up with the engine and box to clear the mounts and replace the mounts with the 4 hole rubber not the two!! .. Hahahaha, its amazing how well it all fitted with the correct mounts…

Ah well that concluded my day, the sooty is sitting in place and is bolted in to the gearbox and engine mounts, All I have to do now is start to fit the bolt-ons such as starter, air intake, fuel lines, filters, etc etc. I then with Scuba’s help I need to do the electrical stuff.
    Hopefully next weekend I may be in a position to crank it over and hopefully hear my investment in time and $$ over the last 6 months come to life…

20150509_163624.jpg 20150510_130957.jpg 20150510_165706.jpg

Scuba was so pleased it went in he got a little excited and pashed my motor.
    20150510_165715.jpg
    Last edited by Andyh; 12th May 2015 at 10:29 AM.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (11th May 2015), cgm (11th May 2015), Chappy (11th May 2015), katwoman (11th May 2015), Rossco (11th May 2015), threedogs (12th May 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff mate that is a big step forward.... keep em comin !!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,929 Times in 2,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one, that motor looks pretty sexy all clean and shiny . . . Won't be long now. . .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome work! What a feeling of relief it is to have it sitting in place. Are you local to the Northern suburbs? You can use mine as a guide to wire things up. I don't mind swinging by & lending a hand if need be.
    '96 GQ TD42t

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chappy For This Useful Post:

Andyh (12th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQJETT View Post
    Awesome work! What a feeling of relief it is to have it sitting in place. Are you local to the Northern suburbs? You can use mine as a guide to wire things up. I don't mind swinging by & lending a hand if need be.
    Hi mate thanks for the offer and a second pair of eyes is always welcome, however i am actually in the SE Burbs (Skye) and not the northern Burbs.. I think i have got to nail down this electrickry this weekend and do have one or two good people that can help out, however if your in the area give me a buzz and i can drop you my address.

Here is a curly question for anyone...... Can anyone advise what size bolts the Starter Motor needs, i saved the 2 from the TB Motor and just got another one the same but the bloody TD bolts are slightly bigger and i have no idea what thread they are in order to buy some new ones from a hardware store. I called Nissan this morning any they cant help me, they advised contacting a wrecker, so i did that and they cant help me either (I suspect they have the bolts but just cant be bothered to go get them and post them) I have an awesome bolt / hardware store just up the road from my home, but i need to know what size.... I have been told its Maybe M14 X1.25 but this is not 100%

I am also after a place that might be able to get the engine harness connectors i have a couple of broken ones that i want to replace and again Nissan are about as helpful as a sharp kick in the dick...
    ..... Anyone ... Please..... ?? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    Last edited by Andyh; 12th May 2015 at 09:34 AM.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if Mudski sells that sort of thing?? probably not as they would not be a big selling item.

Not 100% sure but I think the thread for the starter is a fine one as I remember being under the car for 700 years undoing the bolts??

I'll ask on one of the face ache groups.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Andyh (12th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BA.... I know i can get bolts no drama, i just need the spec... lol
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast