Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyh View Post
    Sorry i havent posted for a while, not really had much to report, but today i can say that the pooy is just fresh out of the workshop yesterday evening.... I can breath a sigh of relief...

It turned out to be a buggered Spigot bearing and broken / loose springs in the clutch plate, the gearbox is fine. Phewwwww ...

So i have now had an exceedy tough clutch fitted with new spigot bearing and thrust / throw out bearing... I should have just done this in the first place. Although the clutch seemed fine on inspection it was obviously about to die and maybe the alignment problems i had during the engine installation onto the gearbox finally killed it.. anyway.. Its done i got John (The mechanic) to do an oil change in the gearbox and the transfer case while it was on the hoist.

VASS is booked in for next Monday Lunchtime this should be my final hurdle, it should go through no problems the only grey area is the TD05 turbo, but its set at only 8psi at the moment (factory std) and the TD05 was an option for the DTS turbos fitted to patrols sooooooooo i am kinda hoping the engineer sees things my way !
    See........ happy days mate.. yes another expense but one that should have been part of the build.

My clutch was only new when I did my conversion so was not needed.

Glad its coming together... you'll be wheeling in no time!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Andyh (23rd June 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got back outside last night to swap out the Tacho units again, and i still have a problem, the tacho will not read and jumps around all over the place without the engine running, so im starting to think there is something wrong with the wiring..

I am going to have to re-think this as i cannot have 3 faulty tachos.

1st tacho - Sits on zero and wont read any revs under 3000
    2nd tacho - jumped around and spiked would not read (Engine Not Running)
    3rd tacho - jumps around then settles around 1500 rpm (Engine Not running) Then with motor started reads increases in revs but only from 1500rpm, so idle speed is like 2500rpm

Out of interest i then put the petrol tacho back in, this sits on zero and reads with motor running, but only above 1200rpm, then reads normally, the needle then hits zero at idle..

LOL who would have thought two wires can cause so much pain.. lol
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me more like a faulty sender....... If I still had the other engine here I could have ripped it out for you.

See if you can at least loan one... some shops charge a re- stocking fee for using parts for testing?

I am not sure how to test the sender you have in there at the moment as that is for the electrical nuts??? maybe try messaging Yendor?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Andyh (24th June 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you're describing with the petrol tacho is what the TB45 conversions seem to experience when they connect the TD42 sensor to the petrol tacho. Nothing below 1000-1500 then shows normally.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Andyh (24th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the same BA, so i did change the sender and had the same result, also thus eliminating the sender.

I have another idea, i may run the two wires up from the sender and connect them to crimped eyelets and secure the eyelets behind the relevant screws behind the tacho, thus bypassing the plug.
    At the very least i t will eliminate any bad solder joints in the wire connections in the plug.. I will give it a crack.

20150525_142659.jpg

Yes the petrol tacho thing has thrown me a bit because i was under the impression it wouldn't work at all.. lol

I will solve it eventually... lol
    Last edited by Andyh; 24th June 2015 at 10:14 AM.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bypassed the plug last night, I attached the 2 eyelets to the wires and then fixed them directly to the PCB of the tacho where it screws into place.

This also didn’t work, on all three tachos i have. so I am at a total loss… I must just have 3 RS tachos, I will now go to Patrolapart for them to fit a working tacho, I am not prepared to spend any more time on it, i must have had the dash apart and the cluster out 30 times now, I will be really disappointed with Niss4x4 if they have supplied tachos that don’t work !

I will just run with the petrol tacho for now as that reads over 1100 rpms so at least that's something, better than nothing
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correct me if i'm wrong but dosn't the td42 tacho pick up from the alternator ? and the petrol from the dizzy/computer? have you got the pick up from the right place ?
    i had to replace the speedo and could only get a petrol cluster... so i tested it whole b4 i pulled it apart, tacho didn't move at all. but thats a petrol tacho in a diesel.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Garret,
    The EFI tacho it picks up signal from the ignition coil through the ECU, but i have bypassed all of that and run 2 new wires from the pick up point on the TD42 motor, then i changed the tacho gauge/ cluster to suit a diesel motor... The tachos work on the same principles i guess, but having wired it up correctly with the required equipment to tried and tested methods with no good result, i am now at the limit of my ability so i will have to put it in to patrolapart and see what the outcome is from there.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a last ditch attempt to solve my tacho problems, does anyone on here know if the tacho from a series II GQ patrol 2.8 is the same as a TD42 Series II tacho, the two tachos i got supplied from the wreckers are out of 2.8's THIS IS MY LAST IDEA ! . LOL

Help... Please.. Anyone.. lol
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate I can't help at all but just letting you know I have been reading this whole thread and following your little journey...
    Stick with it mate, you are too far to throw it in now haha!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Andyh (26th June 2015), Bloodyaussie (25th June 2015), Rossco (25th June 2015)

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast