it's a GQ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it would seem that the Instrument cluster I got back in December 2014 is faulty or just not suitable for my application as I could not get the rev counter to work under 2300 RPM’s.

I had been in contact with the wrecker who sold me the part and unfortunately (as i expected) it was way outside of any warranty and they could not offer much assistance regarding return, however they really looked after me on a replacement instrument cluster, so I am hoping that as this cluster is identical to my original cluster (Oil pressure gauge & Amps meter Type) I can slot it straight in and everything works, if not that means the speedo is wired differently and I will still need to swap out the tacho component, I will see how I go.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so it looks like i have just hit a big problem... This has just my luck written all over it................

Had my exhaust fitted yesterday and that ended up costing me $100 more than i was quoted, anyway what can ya do, say nah mate, ... No choice, i had to pay it, then on the way home driving back my gearbox started to make some god awful noises when sitting at idle in neutral, if i depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor the noise disappears, so it looks as though i may have done an input shaft bearing, and if that's the case, its time for a Gearbox rebuild... I can't do this myself, its just too hard to get the box out laying on the ground and i just don't have the cash to get it fixed at the moment as i didn't budget for a frigging gearbox.

Of all the bag over the head punch in the guts a fella can get....

This thread may go very quite for a while now as i am about to go throw myself under a bus... lol
    Last edited by Andyh; 17th June 2015 at 03:48 PM.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate gearboxes come up all the time on face ache if you want me to keep an eye out??

I have had 3 boxes in now with the last one being the best by far... the first started to make noises and vibrate in 5th plus terrible trying to get into gear.. the 2nd was much better but had some leaking issues.. the 3rd has been very good with the only thing being the syncro for reverse sometimes if I have not come to a complete stop it will grind but that is minor compared to previous issues.

I tell ya what though it is bloody hard trying to get a box out from under the car and I have found it easier to remove the engine.

Shout out if you get stuck mate.. I am sure we can muster up some help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BA,

I have a mechanic thats a member of one of my 4wd clubs, and after speaking with him today he can take the box out for me and investigate....

I Just cant do it, i am physically and emotionally shattered, i cant face anymore time under the truck struggling.

If the box is stuffed im sure that he could sort me out a replacement, so i will prob take it in tomorrow on the way to work and at least once the box is out, i know what im looking at, after all It will take him 1/2 day to get the box out on the hoist, but it will take me 3 weeks laying on my back struggling on my own.

Apologies for the down tone of my post guys, i really wasn't expecting this and im feeling a bit destroyed today.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate I am not sure if you know what I went through but it was hell..... To me a gearbox is a huge pain in the arse but by far the end of the world.

I am sure right now you want to put your head in the sand but dont let it get you down... yes doing it on the hoist is easier but it still is a pain.

You'd be amazed how quick you can get a whole engine out once you have done the conversion.. much quicker than an efi.

I understand you wanting to have it done at a shop... this is a minor set back mate... you have done all the hard work and the gearbox is not hard in a technical way just bloody big and heavy.

I will still keep an eye out for another box.

Keep posting up mate even if it is just to vent as many on here understand your grief and can be great to have a calming word from those that are thinking clearly.

And yes yell out if you need a hand (there are a few on here who are always willing to help) even if its just to chew the fat and look at all my dodgy work...lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Andyh (16th June 2015), Clunk (17th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still here, still going....

I dropped off my truck with John Nichols, a fellow Nissan owners Club member at Cologne Motors this morning for open box surgery, I guess I should find out what the problem is in the next day or two, john said it don’t sound to serious though.. Im hoping it is something simple, it wasn’t making that bad of a noise this morning, until It warmed up anyway, then it got a little quiter again, all I know is that was screaming like a banchee in there yesterday.

On the Tacho issue, I still didn’t get any joy, the unit Niss4x4 sent was obviously faulty, the needle jumped around all over place, & that was without it even being plugged into the sender yet ! so I called them and said its cooked & pictured , is their answer to a free replacement Tacho unit… I doubt this one will work either, I mean look at it…. I'm not holding my breath… ..

20150617_123823.jpg

I'm very disappointed, as they have been awesome upto now, If this don’t work, I will just have to take it to patrolapart to get it working and get shafted in the wallet again.. $$

C’mon Andy, think happy thoughts !!! lol … Ok …..I am still hoping to make my VASS and get vic roads sorted by 29th June….. Maybe….. only if my luck changes
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (17th June 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While i was going through my build i kept thinking the worst at every turn and sometimes it was justified but many it was just me being stressed and down on myself..

You have done very well so far and personally i think your set backs are minor considering how big a job this is.

You might be surprised at that tacho..

Keep positive and maybe take on my motto for this year... onwards and upwards.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Andyh (18th June 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy is there any updates mate??????

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry i havent posted for a while, not really had much to report, but today i can say that the pooy is just fresh out of the workshop yesterday evening.... I can breath a sigh of relief...

It turned out to be a buggered Spigot bearing and broken / loose springs in the clutch plate, the gearbox is fine. Phewwwww ...

So i have now had an exceedy tough clutch fitted with new spigot bearing and thrust / throw out bearing... I should have just done this in the first place. Although the clutch seemed fine on inspection it was obviously about to die and maybe the alignment problems i had during the engine installation onto the gearbox finally killed it.. anyway.. Its done i got John (The mechanic) to do an oil change in the gearbox and the transfer case while it was on the hoist.

VASS is booked in for next Monday Lunchtime this should be my final hurdle, it should go through no problems the only grey area is the TD05 turbo, but its set at only 8psi at the moment (factory std) and the TD05 was an option for the DTS turbos fitted to patrols sooooooooo i am kinda hoping the engineer sees things my way !
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

Rossco (23rd June 2015)

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast