Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about 3inch exhaust for TD42T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question about 3inch exhaust for TD42T

Hi all, wonder if anyone can offer any info on the changes a 3inch exhaust and dump will make to my TD42T.
    I am under the impression that it will free up the motor a fair bit, help to get rid of exhaust gases, give it more pull, and reduce turbo lag?
    What I'd like to know is if this will also cause the Turbo to run at higher boost and the motor to run at higher revs when highway driving? Excuse my ignorance, not a mechanic by any means!
    ATM when driving at 90-100kms the motor cruises nicely at around 2000 revs.
    Am worried that if I were to change the exhaust and dump (and I'm only clutching at straws here) it will create a less desirable vehicle to drive long distance.
    Will be doing frequent 3-5hr trips down the south east to the coorong.
    Any advice from others who may have put an exhaust on a td42T would be greatly appreciated or a link to previous thread regarding this.
    Cheers, potsy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No not at all. Fit the 3" exhaust, a manual. Boost controller and a Pyro then put it on a Decent Dyno and you will never doubt your descision. You will gain power and love the result.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Potsy (5th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply mud runner!
    Certainly helps to put the mind at ease, have been planning to get the car dyno'd so will put it off till I have the other bits and pieces on.
    And the pyro isn't a bad choice either to sit under the boost gauge as I have noticed no one does a single gauge pod for the a pillar.
    Guess I better look for some more cashies! Anyone need an aircon fixed?? Haha.....

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Potsy I'm running the same motor with a 3" Beaudesert no muffler only the converter still quiet because of the turbo (factory standard) and picked better spool speed at lower RPM with more top end RPM and it made the old tractor a totally different beast to drive . IMHO its the best thing you can do for gain at the lowest $ .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply mud runner!
    Certainly helps to put the mind at ease, have been planning to get the car dyno'd so will put it off till I have the other bits and pieces on.
    And the pyro isn't a bad choice either to sit under the boost gauge as I have noticed no one does a single gauge pod for the a pillar.
    Guess I better look for some more cashies! Anyone need an aircon fixed?? Haha.....
    Damn shame your not in bris I've got 2 aircons here needing attention ones spitting ice lol

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing I ever did. 3" exhaust, manual boots controller and dyno tune although local diesel bloke is almost as good as a dyno. So much better to drive with 155 hp at rear wheels on dyno with standard pump and tyres. No improvement in fuel economy because you tend to use the extra power. Exhaust temps are better under load as boost normally is 8 to 12 psi but will go as high as 16 to 18 psi under high load and up hill thereby keeping exhaust temps under 500.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the replies guys, good to hear these sort of results from blokes with the same motors.
    Will be booking it in as soon as I have the money but will probably just be going for a mild steel 3inch.
    Will book it in with aaa exhaust on nelson st, stepney as I've heard good things.
    Don't know about 155kw the guy I bought it from showed me a redout that says my bus (Patrice) is only making about 80kw, but I guess we'll see. Fingers crossed the exhaust is blocked as buggery.
    Hey mega texture, did wonder whether I say no interstate jobs or not, and I'm not on route to Cape York either....yet.
    Check the filters on the unit spitting ice and if they're ok your probably gonna need it re-gassed.
    If so be sure the bloke pressure tests it so you don't have the same issue next year. Too many gas and go blokes around nowadays.
    Thanks again for the feedback and I'll let you guys know how it goes once the exhaust is on and the patrol dynotuned!
    2000 GU, TD42T, bullbar and roof racks, 2inch lift, winch, front and rear air lockers, 3inch Scotts rods dump and exhaust kit.....more to come!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Potsy For This Useful Post:

megatexture (9th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    Potsy I'm running the same motor with a 3" Beaudesert no muffler only the converter still quiet because of the turbo (factory standard) and picked better spool speed at lower RPM with more top end RPM and it made the old tractor a totally different beast to drive . IMHO its the best thing you can do for gain at the lowest $ .

Hey mate, I didn't think that the diesels needed cat converters or am I tripping?
    Is it maybe just a hotdog muffler?
    2000 GU, TD42T, bullbar and roof racks, 2inch lift, winch, front and rear air lockers, 3inch Scotts rods dump and exhaust kit.....more to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wizard noted 155HP not 155KW. . If your 80KW now you might see into the 90s and be happy with that as a mild tune with good long term results. If your chasing bigger power your going to spend more money on another turbo, another Intercooler and pump mods before you see anywhere near 155kw.

You will love the 3" though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 as MR said
    I started with 86Kw
    added factory Turbo & Intercooler (off a 2006 motor that had hydraulic'd)
    added a 3" straight through exhaust

only running 8lb boost - (factory)
    putting out about 116Kw now

I've finally just got the Gas injection sorted, so am yet to Dyno it again...............
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast